Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Big Bore kit 'again'

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2005, 01:44 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 52 Posts
Default RE: Big Bore kit 'again'

Ed,

The meaning is that he fell asleep on his motorcycle and died "Peacefully" and that his passenger (spelling corrected) died screaming.
My old sig was "Dip me in honey and throw me to the Lesbians". Pretty sure everyone gets the meaning of that one (LOL).

Terry

Old 06-13-2005, 09:56 AM
Feroce
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

terryt1955

I apologize:

This one got out of hand, I was taught to never correct other peoples grammer and spelling it is just not polite or acceptable (I am not good at it anyway).

I like the quote and was just having FUN with it because the meaning changes.

From: Driving down the road and falling to sleep while driving, crashing, dying and killing the passenger.

To: Going to bed, sleeping, dreaming about driving and having fun going fast, teasing the passenger and having a (Peacefull) cardiac arrest in bed as he rides up to heaven with his passenger. No one died except Grandfather with a smile on his face.

Ed

Old 06-13-2005, 10:17 AM
Feroce
Cruiser

Lets drop the quote thing we are Way off subject, Lets get back to the big bore question, please.

TCSTD

Bummer, I know a little about what you are talking about. I have had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand and need to get it done on my left soon. I have been an automotive mechanic for the last 42 years, to much screwing :-) I guess.

You say "It would make much more sense to do the cams while the engine is apart, you actually save quite a few $$$ doing it this way in labor."

This is part of my question the graph shows the stage II having LESS torque and HP at 2500 to 4000 rpm than the Stage I.

Ed

Old 06-13-2005, 10:24 AM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

Ed

It all depends on the choice of cams as to what you get out of them. Some give you bottom end at the cost of top end and others are mid range cams for cruising etc. Then there are top end cams for racing etc. It pays to ask around what others are using and see where your needs fall. Kuryakyn has a line of cams that are becoming very popular . They guy to speak to there is Mike Roland, he's an ol' racer and knows his stuff. You may give him a call and see where he points you with which cam. He can probably tell you what to expect with your setup also.

You can call the other brands and pick their brain also, they are pretty good with comparisons for the customer and will give you dyno results to help with your choice in many instances

Good luck with your choice.

Ed, That's one good looking car you built there!!!!!! Did you do the fabrication yourself?

Old 06-13-2005, 04:38 PM
Feroce
Cruiser

TCSTD

I am going to call the dealer now and ask him more about cams that are available and pricing. Yes, I did build all of the car myself. I built it in 2001 when I was 56 years young. Thank you.

Ed

Old 06-13-2005, 06:00 PM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

It's been said already, but I cannot tell you enough. Don't do the big bore without doing head work. HD TC88 heads are terrible, ask any mechanic. The extra 7 inches will do almost nothing without the complete package. Remember the principle behind a four stroke, intake, compression, power and exhaust. You need a better breather, and you will need better heads which will allow better mixture of gas and air. This is where heads fit in. Higher compression pistons will give you way more "bang". Cams will let in more mix, and get rid of the exhaust better, and you need free flowing exhaust to get rid of the burnt gases. You are already spending the money for it to be torn down, so do it now!

Old 06-13-2005, 08:00 PM
HDF Tech
Banned
Received 148 Likes on 41 Posts

ED

Besides the dealer, please get outside input because the dealer will usually sell you what he stocks, not necessarily what is best for you. Good time to go gear driven on the cams and eliminate the tensioner problems too.

Check around and don't fall prey to the dealer.

Hell of a job on that car, I had my own repair/auto body business for 21 years and finally closed it up in 1989. Had enough of that as it was my secondary job.

Old 06-14-2005, 09:19 AM
Feroce
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

It's been said already, but I cannot tell you enough. Don't do the big bore without doing head work. HD TC88 heads are terrible, ask any mechanic. The extra 7 inches will do almost nothing without the complete package. Remember the principle behind a four stroke, intake, compression, power and exhaust. You need a better breather, and you will need better heads which will allow better mixture of gas and air. This is where heads fit in. Higher compression pistons will give you way more "bang". Cams will let in more mix, and get rid of the exhaust better, and you need free flowing exhaust to get rid of the burnt gases. You are already spending the money for it to be torn down, so do it now!

What you have said is great for a drag racer, get the max out of the engine with the max fuel. Start with a high RPM and leave it there to the end of the 1/4 mile.

I am still thinking about getting the big bore stage I. I don't want to win drag races just tour with low end torque and good fuel econ. I like the bike very much now all I want is to increase the torque from 2000 to 4000 RPM. I want to just role into the throttle at highway speeds to pass a car and not have to take my feet off the highway pegs to downshift to be able to get the RPM for my torque range.

The big bore stage I will change me from stock 67 (lb-ft)TQ to 87 (lb-ft)TQ @ 2500 RPM and 67 (lb-ft)TQ to 90 (lb-ft)TQ @ 4000 RPM.

By adding the cams I get LESS, only 67 (lb-ft)TQ to 82 (lb-ft)TQ @ 2500 RPM and 67 (lb-ft)TQ to 84 (lb-ft)TQ @ 4000 RPM.

EDIT: I only have 2200 miles on the bike now and bought the 4 year warranty. HD sent me a post card telling me anything I add from the dealer within 60 days will be covered also. If I use other parts I would void my warranty.

This is a good incentive for me.

Ed

Old 06-15-2005, 12:04 AM
Scout
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 705 Likes on 338 Posts

What the hell are you talking about, drag racer? HD heads are crap! You have to remove heads to get a big bore!

If you want to ask for advise, at least listen to some. Ask anyone else, when you do a big bore, unless you do heads, cams, exhaust, breather and fuel you are wasting you money.

I'm still laughing about the drag racer comment since I ride an Ultra!

Old 06-15-2005, 01:18 AM
Feroce
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: Joe Scout

What the hell are you talking about, drag racer? HD heads are crap! You have to remove heads to get a big bore!

If you want to ask for advise, at least listen to some. Ask anyone else, when you do a big bore, unless you do heads, cams, exhaust, breather and fuel you are wasting you money.

I'm still laughing about the drag racer comment since I ride an Ultra!

You are taking this way to hard. You are not listening to what I want. I already have Pipes V&H and intake (Stage I). I don't want to void my warranty.

Ed

Quick Reply: Big Bore kit 'again'