Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CB - Useful or dead weight?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 12:42 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by bluffalobob
I don't use my CB often, but there are two different groups I ride with on occasion that use them, and I enjoy it when I do.

If I'm riding without a group, I never use it.

Agreed. Just like the intercom......most of the time it isn't used....but in those instances where I have a passenger that likes to yak, it's great to have.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:46 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,300 Likes on 780 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Happy Lurker
Thanks for the replies. I agree that the lowers and speakers are nice additions. I am finding that if I am willing to drive a few extra miles (75-100) I can get a 2010 Ultra for just a little more than the price of a 2011 Classic- assuming that the new ones don't go up too much.
I bought the Classic. I had the dealer sit the 2 bikes side by side for a comparison and I liked the looks of the Classic better. I didn't like the lowers, would never use a CB and my wife hated the rear speakers right by her leg. The pin stripes are done differently also. My dealer was able to deal more on the Classic than the Ultra also. I got a 10 Classic for $19.5k with ABS and cruise.

Old 07-14-2010, 12:59 PM
rh8234
Elite HDF Member
Received 34 Likes on 16 Posts

I never used the CB or intercom. I gave the headset to a guy that wanted it. It was brand new - still in the box. I never even use the radio or CD player. I'm thinking of ripping the whole radio out to make a place to stash a few cigars and a small flask of Captain Morgan. I still do love the Ultra though. I just wish the cigar lighter was fatter so I could get some of my big fat stogies in it. Who came up with that tiny little cigar lighter idea???

Old 07-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like the CB for the long super slab rides getting traffic info from the 18 wheelers.

They are also useful for riding with your buddies.

Old 07-14-2010, 01:26 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,743 Likes on 1,558 Posts

I just bought 1600 bucks of CB stuff for my bike and the wifes bike...today.
I like having speakers in my helmet and being able to talk to her and others while on the road. Tossed around the idea of the G4 Scala units awhile and finally decided on the Harley stuff. I used to have an Ultra and it just worked so well.

lp

Old 07-14-2010, 01:54 PM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Depending whom I'm riding with I use mine. Sometimes I have it on when I'm riding alone just listening for reports of cops or other road hazards. I believe I've saved quite a few tickets because of it. If you don't have it you can't use it. If you have one you have the option not to use it.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:00 PM
frenchbiker
Elite HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Happy Lurker
I am looking at 2010 year-end bikes and notice that there are a lot more leftover Ultras than Classics. I am trying to rationalize the Ultra but I am not sure if the extra money is worth it. I want the cruise control so that is not an issue, but I wonder if the CB is worthwhile.
I've never used the CB and I've never used the intercom either. I sold the CB mike/clip and the intercom headset.
This being said, there are more important features than CB and Intercom that differentiate the Ultra from the Classic. Cruise, rear speakers and lower fairings are the most important, IMO. Lights on the TourPak are nice too.

Last edited by frenchbiker; 07-15-2010 at 10:57 AM.
Old 07-14-2010, 02:07 PM
FLUltrarider
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

CB is pretty useful if you're cruising and in some part of the country that your cell phone has little or no reception in and you need assistance. There's usually someone around (especially truckers and the police) that monitor CB frequencies and can get you the help you need w/o as much delay. I rarely actually use it, but it's nice to know it is there.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:26 PM
Booshway
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lp
I just bought 1600 bucks of CB stuff for my bike and the wifes bike...today.
I like having speakers in my helmet and being able to talk to her and others while on the road. Tossed around the idea of the G4 Scala units awhile and finally decided on the Harley stuff. I used to have an Ultra and it just worked so well.

lp
I just did the same.
I will never get the money back and in hindsight I really should have gone with the Ultra. But we are happy now and that counts in my book.

Old 07-14-2010, 02:46 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,743 Likes on 1,558 Posts

Originally Posted by Booshway
I just did the same.
I will never get the money back and in hindsight I really should have gone with the Ultra. But we are happy now and that counts in my book.
I hear ya. I'll be transporting this CB setup to any new bike I get from here on out! Thats just too much money to trade-in or what have you. That is unless I end up with another Ultra down the road.

lp

Quick Reply: CB - Useful or dead weight?