Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Tank Filter Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 01:54 PM
Jags93
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NavyCharles24
I would use a wide tip screw driver and a rubber mallet and "tap tap tap" the locking ring off.
I will be doing the same next month. I'm at 20,115 Miles now.
The tap tap tapping should be done with a BRASS PUNCH to eliminate the possibility of a spark.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:10 PM
nemick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jags93
The tap tap tapping should be done with a BRASS PUNCH to eliminate the possibility of a spark.
Where's the fun in that??
Just kidding, it's a very good point.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:37 PM
denviola
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Repaired many gas tanks with solder in my younger days at a dealership, good advice above - always use a brass punch.

Old 07-30-2010, 02:54 PM
Sandcrab
Stellar HDF Member
Received 381 Likes on 226 Posts
Default Diy

When you do it, take some detail pictures so we can all learn about the tap tap tap procedure.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:50 PM
mikygspot
4th Gear
Default This is what worked for me.

Gents, not really an expert here! But here's how I was able to remove and re-install the top cap retaining ring without banging on the tank, or getting that expensive ring removing tool. You will need to get the biggest adjustable pliers you can find at a local shop which won't cost you the price of the ring tool, and in my opinion, safer than banging on the tank. I think mine cost me around $20 at a local car part store. Also, some Harley shops has been known to scratch the tank even when they use the proper tool has they don't pay attention to details and don't use anything to protect your tank. Just saying as it happened to a friend of mine and the shop told him it was a normal thing when they remove that ring... BS if you ask me!!!
All you need is a way to protect the tank. I used packing foam sheet that I got laying around. Cardboard, or thick clothes could probably do. Also, you can use painter's tape and tape the whole top part of the tank (That is what I used the 1st time). The good thing about using those huge pliers is that you will probably use that tool for something else instead of buying an expensive tool that you may use once every couple of years.
When using those pliers, all I did is put the ring tabs in the last teeth/groove of the pliers, put my hand under the jaw part (again to protect the tank in case of slippage) and slowly rotate. I used some lubricant (WD40) where the tabs are to make the ring slide off and on easily. And Voila!!! It worked really well for me and the WD40 made the ring slip on/off easily.

I hope this help someone with this issue. I hate that Harley likes to use special tools on stupid things so they can tell customers that only their shop can do it!!!

G

Attached Thumbnails Fuel Tank Filter Removal-pliers.jpg   Fuel Tank Filter Removal-topplateremoval.jpg  
Old 03-09-2013, 02:05 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

How do you find and respond to a 3 years old thread?

Carl

Old 03-09-2013, 02:10 PM
Wally
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just lucky I guess.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:10 PM
fathog
Tourer

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
How do you find and respond to a 3 years old thread?

Carl
He has only a few posts so it was probably dumb luck, but I'm glad he did. I learned something.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM
05UltraBob
Road Master
Received 453 Likes on 262 Posts

Doesn't everyone always say "Why didn't he use the search feature instead of starting a new thread." Here he probably did just that and you are giving him **** for that. Geesh what do you want?

Old 03-09-2013, 04:37 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Honestly, I was curious since I've asked this same question in the past and I wish he would have replied with more detail.

An alternative is to start a new thread, supply information, and copy and paste the link to the older thread.

Carl

Quick Reply: Fuel Tank Filter Removal