Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Se 120r complete engine?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2010, 10:35 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Subscribed... I'm either going to to have sweet dreams of a 120R motor or nightmares of an empty bank account tonight.

Old 09-11-2010, 10:42 PM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Dick1964
Uhm, which part of this train wreck is the most interesting to you? A lot has been going on here.
The bit where one of you puts the engine in the bike and tells us how it works out! Don't think I'm going down the same path any time soon!

Old 09-12-2010, 12:37 AM
Dick1964
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
The bit where one of you puts the engine in the bike and tells us how it works out! Don't think I'm going down the same path any time soon!
I was just joking. Most back yard builders have doomed it to failure already.

Old 09-12-2010, 01:32 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I was just joking.
I know ;-)

Old 09-12-2010, 05:48 AM
nick@nite
Road Warrior
Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts

They can do what they want, but the only thing that counts is thee frame. Why does AutoZone get away with selling engine blocks? I'm tired of this scared tactic crap. Grow up and stand up for your rights. W isn't after you.
OK maybe I should have said in my state you need a vin on the engine not just the frame. When you build a custom bike you need a valid vin number from the motor as well as the frame.

Auto zone is dealer and you get paperwork with engine block when you purchase?

Grow up? WTF? What the heck does that have to do with anything?

Old 09-16-2010, 04:58 PM
Exduane
Cruiser

Update: Engine showed up way earlier than dealer expected! Started install late yesterday afternoon, should be completed early next week. Here are a couple pics I took last night. That stock 96" sure is gonna be a cool centerpiece for my living room coffee table....

Attached Thumbnails Se 120r complete engine?-2011-road-glide-build-part-1-5-.jpg   Se 120r complete engine?-2011-road-glide-build-part-1-4-.jpg  
Old 09-16-2010, 05:40 PM
BLK08ROCKERC
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Exduane
Update: Engine showed up way earlier than dealer expected! Started install late yesterday afternoon, should be completed early next week. Here are a couple pics I took last night. That stock 96" sure is gonna be a cool centerpiece for my living room coffee table....
The cover between the breather housing and the throttle body is backwards. The large tab is facing front when it should be facing towards the back of the bike.

Old 09-16-2010, 06:03 PM
18BKLR
Road Master

Originally Posted by Exduane
Hey Guys, thought I'd jump into the fray here!

Just took delivery of a 2011 Road Glide Custom, worked the SE 120R into the deal. Dealer is expecting the engine in about 3 weeks (all the accompanying parts are in, just waiting on the motor itself). I've attached a copy of the parts list with prices so I could get some of your thoughts. There is one change I made not reflected in the list; I'm going with a Thundermax/Zippers Auto Tuner instead of the SE race tuner. Dealer is installing everything, and I'll try to keep you updated if anyone is interested.
Thanks for that post. The list is awesome, I am thinking of starting to put everything together for the build. Might take a while but I am going to get it done. A few things. Keep us posted on how it runs when complete. I know you will anyway but we all want to know. Next thing, if you run into anything else you need keep that coming as well. Lastly, let us know what you are going to get for that old motor. I have a factory 103 with really low miles and I would love a round about as to what guys are getting for their motors. Rock on man and keep us posted. Inquiring minds want to know...

Old 09-17-2010, 08:11 AM
Dick1964
Cruiser

Originally Posted by nick@nite
OK maybe I should have said in my state you need a vin on the engine not just the frame. When you build a custom bike you need a valid vin number from the motor as well as the frame.

Auto zone is dealer and you get paperwork with engine block when you purchase?

Grow up? WTF? What the heck does that have to do with anything?
I'm sorry Dude, grow up was suppose to be grow some. Before you get up tight and I hope you don't, I was messing around.

My state is Frame. Your state is engine and frame. That is too bad. That sucks. I guess it's good if they stole "your" car or bike, but I bet they still steal them where you live, so they just make things harder for law abiding people like yourself.

I read the Cali registration app and it is true that they ask for it like you say, so I stand corrected. Here are your actual choices.
VIN/ENGINE NUMBER (IF MOTORCYCLE, MARK BOTH VIN AND ENG. BOXES)
VIN ENG Appears okay Altered/Tampered
VIN ENG Illegible/Damaged Missing
VIN ENG Cannot locate None—Newly built
VIN ENG Assigned by F/O See REMARKS

And since I heard the paper work on this engine says for race use only, I guess Cali and some others might be out of luck. I'll let you know what it says Monday unless someone else already has theirs. I'm curious too.

My Missouri app say vin number. I have swapped many engines in my life time. We were so poor that it was cheaper to run our old car engines out of oil until they blew up, because we didn't have money for oil, then go to the junk yard and grab another engine. That's a slight exaggeration, but I've been thru a lot of engines back in the day.

Peace, I meant you no harm.

Last edited by Dick1964; 09-17-2010 at 08:13 AM.
Old 09-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Exduane
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BLK08ROCKERC
The cover between the breather housing and the throttle body is backwards. The large tab is facing front when it should be facing towards the back of the bike.
You were absolutely right! The tech working on the bike says he realized the mistake minutes after I took the pic. Thanks!

Quick Reply: Se 120r complete engine?