Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Carlini Gangster Apes and Namz extensions

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 07:58 PM
HappyScrappy
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Carlini Gangster Apes and Namz extensions

I just finished wiring up my controls with a set of NAMZ extensions following their instructions (small heat shrink per connection, large heat shrink wrapping the whole bundle) and there's no way this bundle will fit through the wiring hole in the Gangster bars.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can get this thing to go through aside from cutting them all and staggering soldered connections. It sort of defeats the purpose of buying an extension kit.

I did add a touch of solder to each connection, but that didn't add any bulk to the bundle.

Old 08-04-2010, 08:18 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How much are you off?

Is it just the opining for the cables to go in, or the diameter inside the bars as well?

If it's just the opening and you're mechanically inclined open the entry hole some, that should do the trick.

Just my $0.02

Old 08-05-2010, 07:42 AM
HappyScrappy
Novice

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
How much are you off?

Is it just the opining for the cables to go in, or the diameter inside the bars as well?

If it's just the opening and you're mechanically inclined open the entry hole some, that should do the trick.

Just my $0.02
Once I get them in the bars it should be fine.

I thought about opening the hole a bit, but I don't think that's a route I want to go down right now.

I emailed NAMZ about this, and their suggestion was to run the factory wires through and then attach the extensions, doesn't that defeat the point of the extension kit - if you're able to run the stock wires all the way through the bars.

I'm thinking that I'm going to have to cut the connectors off and solder the wires in a staggered formation like it has been recommended when you don't use the extension kit.

Oh well - I guess it's 50$ lesson.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:58 AM
johnx121
Novice

you can make the holes in the bars bigger

Old 08-05-2010, 09:04 AM
96ApeKing
Cruiser

Have never heard of NAMZ or then extension kit they make but is there a chance that this would fit through the hole on stock bars?

Maybe the hole on the Carlini Bars are too small?

Old 08-05-2010, 09:15 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 476 Likes on 124 Posts

I went with Chubby Wild1 because their opening hole is larger and it was still tight, you need to open the hole or the best and easiest way would have been to run the wires first get them out of the bars then add the extension, you don't need the extension to make it through the bars it is needed to give you extra room after they are out of the bars

Old 08-05-2010, 04:32 PM
badfl97
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Did you stagger your splices? I Like to stagger them to keep it as thin as possible.

Old 08-05-2010, 11:40 PM
thereal142
Road Captain
Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

You were supposed to fish the stock wires through, THEN add the extensions. Now if you hadn't soldered them, all you would need to do is get more shrink tubing. I used the NAMZ extensions and no solder. When the individual heat shrink tubes are properly applied, there ain't no way it's comin' apart....

Old 08-06-2010, 12:12 AM
phrogflyer
Road Master

not sure about the extension kit, but i staggered my last set of wires so that they wouldn't create that ball effect. and butt connectors are a lot better than soldering. radio shack has them. the ones with the hard plastic shell sux though. i used something similar to these and put shrink wrap over them:
http://www.allproducts.com/manufactu...tt_splice.html

Last edited by phrogflyer; 08-06-2010 at 12:16 AM.
Old 08-06-2010, 11:52 AM
HappyScrappy
Novice

I tried fishing the stock wires through prior to putting the extensions on, but they weren't long enough to make it all the way through.

In the end, I ended up cutting all the connectors off and just soldering the wires in a staggered formation. Doing that, along with a little dish soap got them through.

Quick Reply: Carlini Gangster Apes and Namz extensions