Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Redline Tranny w/Shockproof

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2010, 05:54 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Redline Tranny w/Shockproof

Wow, just changed the tranny fluid and it's an amazing difference on my '09 RKC. The loud clunk when shifting is much quieter. The bike vibrations are greatly reduced and the 5th gear whine is almost gone. It's like a whole new bike. Now I have to change the engine oil to Amsoil to see what it can do. So far I like the changes. FWIW, then previous fluid changes was Harley Syn fluids.
Jim

Old 08-11-2010, 06:02 PM
fireaxxe
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You should try the Redline engine oil as well. That way you can let us know how it works out i have the amsoil 20w-50 so far so go but i think there could be a better oil out there for the loud valve train. How many miles you have on yours. '09 RK with a little over 13K and when cold it sounds like a box of rocks.

Old 08-11-2010, 07:18 PM
PKellyMc
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: PacNW; Beacon of Conservatism in a Sea of Liberals.......AZ Snowbird; Just another Conservative
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

I went to RSP in all 3 bikes below, about a week before our 4600-mi. road trip to AZ. I can't say I noticed any differences (sound/smooth/whine/etc.) in either bike. I was hoping to lose the clunk, but save the RKC's 5th whine (WG never did have it). Anyway, I feel good about having it in there; I don't think the Syn-3 was doing me any favors. I went with M1VT in the engine & primary.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:29 PM
CrusingHarley
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fireaxxe
You should try the Redline engine oil as well. That way you can let us know how it works out i have the amsoil 20w-50 so far so go but i think there could be a better oil out there for the loud valve train. How many miles you have on yours. '09 RK with a little over 13K and when cold it sounds like a box of rocks.
I was using Redline in all 3 holes for several years when I had my 05 RK. Their tranny fluid is awesome. Shifting was eaiser, finding neutral was easier and the tranny was quieter.

As far as the Redline in the engine, it was a little expensive and I did not notice much difference from other synthetics. I also did not perform any temp checks either FWIW.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Godinaz
Advanced
Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

+1 on Red Line. I run it in all 3 holes.

Old 08-11-2010, 08:54 PM
Navy Mustang
Road Master
Received 306 Likes on 117 Posts

Redline Heavy in the tranny, Redline Primary in the well, Primary, and H-D Syn3 in the Engine. 24K miles and life is good...

Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

i was using royal purple in the trans for about the past 10 thousand miles, then after reading threads in here, i found out about redline for the trans. i didn't notice any difference with that change. a few weeks later i found a source for B&M trickshift automatic trans fluid. i put that in the primary, and there is absolutely no clunk at all, it shifts great and is much quieter when going into gear from neutral. something to consider if you're not familiar with the clutch is to pull in the clutch for a second or two before clicking it into gear. that makes a lot of difference rather than grabbing the clutch and just stabbing it into first gear. you gotta dig the guzzis, i miss my '77 lemans.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:36 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Fireaxxe-
I might give them a try next time around. I just changed the engine oil and after a sort ride didn't notice anything great like I noticed in the tranny. I just picked up the bike in July and it had 3k miles on it. I put 2.6k miles on it in a month. I ran it pretty hard - makes a great sound when rev'ed high with stock cans. I noticed the oil looked a bit dirty and was starting to smell a bit burnt which kind of worried me after only 4k since it's last change using Harley synthetic. I was hoping that the valve train noise would go away as the motor breaks in but it sounds like that might not be the case if you still have it 13k on the bike.
Jim

Originally Posted by fireaxxe

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM
jsciullo
Cruiser

Funny you mention the Guzzi. The shifter sounds just like my Goose now instead of two hammers banging together. Now if I can get the exhaust to sound like my Guzzi I will be a happy man.
Jim

Originally Posted by emwolb
i was using royal purple in the trans for about the past 10 thousand miles, then after reading threads in here, i found out about redline for the trans. i didn't notice any difference with that change. a few weeks later i found a source for B&M trickshift automatic trans fluid. i put that in the primary, and there is absolutely no clunk at all, it shifts great and is much quieter when going into gear from neutral. something to consider if you're not familiar with the clutch is to pull in the clutch for a second or two before clicking it into gear. that makes a lot of difference rather than grabbing the clutch and just stabbing it into first gear. you gotta dig the guzzis, i miss my '77 lemans.

Old 08-11-2010, 10:33 PM
harris48cars
Road Master

Last week I switched out the Amsoil for Royal Purple in my 08 SG. Today I switched out the Amsoil in my 09 SE Fat Bob to Royal Puple. The difference in valve train noise is Unreal. So much quiter. I'm floored. I'm not saying it's because of the RP. I'm thinking the Amsoil has broken down. Having an Amsoil commercial account I will be contacting Amsoil about this.
Gary

Quick Reply: Redline Tranny w/Shockproof