Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Handlebar controls adjustable?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2010, 07:14 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Handlebar controls adjustable?

Did about 100 miles Saturday on my new Utral limited and noticed what may be an issue. Wanted to get the Touring Forum's thoughts on this topic.

(Want to add that I'm on a business trip at the moment and do not have my owner's manual handy. If this topic is covered in that manual, my apologies. I'm pretty good at doing my research first but, again, I'm away from home.)

In my normal riding posture, with my wrists straight and my arms comfortable on the handlebars, I think the handlebar controls are sitting too low. My thumbs are sitting on TOP of the top row of buttons which means that I have to reposition my hands on the hand grips to reach the bottom buttons.

I would think the proper positioning of these two control assemblies would have my thumbs sitting right on top of the turn signals controls.

Would you agree that this is the proper position?

Are these controls adjustable and is this something I can do without (1) screwing up the warranty or (2) screwing up any of the electronics on the bike?

If so, how do I adjust these hand controls?

Old 08-16-2010, 07:24 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,086 Likes on 1,774 Posts

Yes you can undo the two screws that hold the perches on and rotate them upwards. It will move your levers forward and lower on the front side and your switches upward and higher on the rear.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:29 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

I think you can loosen the handle bar control clamps and rotate them,although the rotation may be limited.It will be the Torx screws on the top.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:31 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

You can loosen the 2 t27 fasteners that hold the clutch lever bracket on and rotate it up or down being careful not to pinch your control wires...The same thing can be done on the brake side too...If they won't rotate loosen the 2 t25 fasteners in the switch housings...You don't have to take any of these fasteners completely out just loosen them enough to make the desired adjustments...I am sure you will have to readjust your mirrors after you do this...I hope this helps.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:32 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 65 Posts

Make sure the gaps are equal when retightning.

Old 08-16-2010, 07:48 AM
upstate tim
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Switch housings are keyed for the clutch and brake controls levers.
Loosen each and reposition as a pair.
Tighten front of switch controls first to minumize opening there where water (rain) would be driven into housings.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:23 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Are these the two torx screws that I need to loosen to move the control assembly up?

And is it as simple as loosen these screws, moving the assembly gently, then retightening the screws?

How much play do I have in the cables? I need to move it about 1 inch, I think.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:26 AM
valvestem
Road Captain

Aren't the handlebars "grooved" where the wire bundle enters the control housing(s)? Maybe I am thinking of the old days.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:44 AM
TxCowboy
Road Captain

Change one -- called the dealership and they'll do it for free later this week. As the Service Manager said, it should have been part of the new bike orientation and set-up and apparantly it was just another thing that they should have done (but didn't).

The other prep item they missed was that the Intercom/CB wasn't connected and I had to return the bike to have them do that for me.

Thanks for all of the posts and good information, gang.

Old 08-16-2010, 11:58 AM
vonzoog
Tourer

Yes you are correct in that your thumbs should fall naturally onto the turn signal switches.

Quick Reply: Handlebar controls adjustable?