Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Replacing Rear Brake Stop Light Switch

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2010, 06:27 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Rear Brake Stop Light Switch

I gotta replace the rear brake light switch on my 08 RKC, and I was wondering if anyone has any tips or advice on how to do it? The HD service tech said that my error code was for a brake light switch that was stuck open so I unplugged the 2 wires that connect to the rear brake switch and the brake lights went out. The front brake switch seems to work as intended now, so I guess it must be the rear one.

Does anyone know if when replacing the switch I have to drain the rear brake line? If so, how hard of a job is this gonna be. Is this something I should let the dealer do or can I do it myself?

Thanks for any advice!

Old 08-20-2010, 06:46 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,527 Likes on 3,780 Posts
Default easy fix for me

With the new switch close at hand, remove the bolt supporting the block if necessary to gain access. I need to do this on my softail since my block is back near rear tire. Newer bike are closer to the middle. Remove the two wires. Clean it off good at the exposed thread area of the switch. With a wrench to hold the block and another on the switch screw it out cclw. Let a few drops of fluid drip out to remove any trash. If you have a helper have them push the brake lever down very gently just to get a few more drips out. Do not let the brake leaver come back up. Screw the new switch in about 2½ turns. Should be engaged but have a little shake. Very carefully and gently push some more on the pedal till you see a few more drips. While still holding the pedal snug up the switch. Do not push hard when only engaged by a few threads!! Seems complicated but is really not. By doing it this way if by chance there is any crud it will be pushed out and not stick the new switch and you will bleed ever bit of the air out of the line. You are ready to go.

Old 08-20-2010, 11:17 PM
Milwaukee 1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome, thanks a lot for the help!