Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2010 and 2011...replace header pipe but keep stock mufflers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2010, 03:50 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2010 and 2011...replace header pipe but keep stock mufflers?

I've seen where a few people have kept the stock head pipe on with the cat and added slip ons......

I'm wondering who has changed out their header pipe and kept the stock mufflers? Sound? (At my location no access to you tube etc)

I'm thinking about changing out the head pipe first relieve the heat issue and then maybe next summer swapping out the mufflers.

If I switch out just the header pipe would I need to add a fuel management system right away?

Thanks

Dawg

Old 08-29-2010, 04:50 AM
Sam2010
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 216 Likes on 157 Posts

Not sure about the stock muffler but yesterday I put the fuel moto head pipe on a street glide already had the SE nightstick muffler stage one down load ya the heat seems to be gone but that muffler dont sound to great. Its plenty loud I am just not sure I like the high pitch sound it makes jury is still out I will ride it around a bit more and hope I like it.

Save your self the time and effort I think you best just do the exhaust all at once if you can.

Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
ricktara
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by Port Dawg
I've seen where a few people have kept the stock head pipe on with the cat and added slip ons......

I'm wondering who has changed out their header pipe and kept the stock mufflers? Sound? (At my location no access to you tube etc)

I'm thinking about changing out the head pipe first relieve the heat issue and then maybe next summer swapping out the mufflers.

If I switch out just the header pipe would I need to add a fuel management system right away?

Thanks

Dawg
I did exactly what you are thinking of 2 weeks ago. I have a 2010 Road King. The heat on wifeys foot was unbearable for her. I bought a used 2009 header pipe and plugged the o2 sensor holes with drain plugs. I kept the original equip mufflers on it. The sound is deeper and a bit louder than stock but not as deep as my buddy's SE mufflers. It barks a little more on accel. This setup required me to install a tfi but that too helped the heat and performance by richening up a bit. I am very very happy with this setup

Old 08-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

ok thanks for the info! I'm probably going to get the dresser duals from V&H for the head pipe and I assume the OEM mufflers will fit (hope)

Dawg

Old 08-29-2010, 09:02 AM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the mufflers will fit if they are 1 3/4 inch head pipe i did that with stock mufflers cuz i had to wait for the rineharts to come in. sounded like a old vw bug u might not like the sound. but it will make it run just a tad cooler.hope this helps dawg.
Rick

Old 08-29-2010, 09:11 AM
radar27615
6th Gear

Originally Posted by ricktara
I did exactly what you are thinking of 2 weeks ago. I have a 2010 Road King. The heat on wifeys foot was unbearable for her. I bought a used 2009 header pipe and plugged the o2 sensor holes with drain plugs. I kept the original equip mufflers on it. The sound is deeper and a bit louder than stock but not as deep as my buddy's SE mufflers. It barks a little more on accel. This setup required me to install a tfi but that too helped the heat and performance by richening up a bit. I am very very happy with this setup
Did you use the o2 sensor's with this set-up?

Old 08-29-2010, 09:50 AM
ricktara
Novice

no, I took the o2's off with the head pipe and saved the whole thing in case i need to put back on.

Old 08-29-2010, 09:59 AM
roadglide sy
Cruiser
Default question

Originally Posted by ricktara
no, I took the o2's off with the head pipe and saved the whole thing in case i need to put back on.
do you or did you get a check engine light for current or historic codes ?

Old 08-29-2010, 10:15 AM
Da Butcher
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're going through all that, why not replace the mufflers? Looking to keep a mild sound? You could treat yourself to a Monster Oval, Monster Round or even that place that re-cores OE mufflers to get yourself some better flow for a little extra power. Those sound levels are quite reasonable.

Seems quite a few guys have switched to the '09 OE header from the '10's and '11's. I still have two '09 sets I'm thinking about selling, w/shields of course. That CAT in the new head pipe must be murder. Maybe a good thing I'm not in a position to trade up!

Good luck.

Old 08-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Port Dawg
Road Warrior

old vw bug?? Seriously??

Quick Reply: 2010 and 2011...replace header pipe but keep stock mufflers?