Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

BUB 7 Slip-ons vs Python Slip-ons

Old 10-12-2010, 04:17 AM
ex ninjadude
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default BUB 7 Slip-ons vs Python Slip-ons

I narrowed it down to BUB 7 slash-cut & Python slash-cut slip-ons, for my 2011 Street Glide. I'm going with the Vance & Hines Dresser Dual Head Pipe. Which one will give me the best sound & performance?

Old 10-12-2010, 04:24 AM
JayStronghawk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 214 Posts

Can only speak for Pythons had them with my V&H Duals on my 08 EGS and was quite pleased with that set up ...

Old 10-12-2010, 07:26 AM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have the Phyton Predators. **** Quality, bad chroming, rusty etc

Old 10-12-2010, 09:39 AM
highwayking
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have the Bub 7s. Some posts here have complained about poor chrome quality and pitting. I haven't had any problems with mine and I have over 6K miles on them. I can't speak to the Pythons, but compared to Rineharts, I think the Bub 7s have a better sound--deep rumble at cruising speed and I can still hear the stereo just fine. If you mount them with the slash up to follow the lines of the bags, they will get exhaust film buildup on the chrome tips. I clean my bike after each ride and I use 0000 steel wool to take the film off the chrome. I suspect that the pitting problems some have had results from not keeping the chrome tips clean.

Old 10-12-2010, 10:51 AM
Toypuller
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,857 Likes on 1,488 Posts

Had some Bub 7 Stealths for about 25,000 miles before I changed the set up.

My end caps bubbled chrome off in less than 2000 miles. I ride 30K a year so 2000 miles isn't much time. I wasn't too worried about it because they were so new. I contacted the seller and was told, sorry not our problem. Contact Bub for warranty.

I contacted Bub about the problem. Bub's exchange for defective parts is what threw me. They will send out new ones, but you need to give them a credit card. Once they get the returns back, they decide if the problem is serious enough to be covered under warranty. If they decide it isn't, they charge your card for the new parts, the shipping, and the return shipping of the old ones.

I had to wait 3 weeks to find out if they were going to bang my card with a charge. In the end they didn't, but I thought that it wasn't a very good way to do buisiness.

No other problem with the replacement end caps.

So Bub quality= Good
Bub customer service= I wasn't impressed.

Old 10-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

We have the Vance+Hines headers and Bub 7 slipons on our 2010 Streetglide. Pleased with the performance and sound so far.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:06 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the Python Slipons. I had them on my stock '10 Limited and thought they had a decent sound. After my builder got done with cams, headwork, bigsucker, PC V, etc and then changed out the head pipes ( to get rid of the Cats) swapping off to V & H true duals , they got louder but sound much better. I ran to Harley to get the quiet baffles but cancelled the order the next day as I have gotten used to them and like the sound a lot. My friend has Bub 7's on his SG and I really like them as well. I don't think you'd go wrong with either. I haven't found any quality issues after about 2500 miles on the Python's.

Old 10-12-2010, 06:41 PM
acchd
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

I have Bub 7 SO's and have been thoroughly satisfied with them. Put about 9k miles on them and no quality issue to date. Love the sound and slash ups! Got mind from Phat Performance good guys.

Old 10-13-2010, 08:17 AM
jtomhd
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I have '09 RKC with Bub 7s and Stage One Tune...

...I've posted several times before about the sound with my stock headers...I couldn't be happier with the timbre and resonance, I know, I sound like I'm talking about a musical instrument, but that's how good they sound to me, deep and rumbly but with sweet definition between pulses. In my opinion, the best sounding slip-on, bar none. Of course, I'm not the know all and be all of anything, I haven't listened to every slip-on out there, so sure, there might be a combo you'll like better, but not me.

I've also posted that I'm planning on going up to 107" from stock and am probably going with the Fullsac B-Pipe for a header. If anyone knows (yes, I already asked Fullsac, but I want your opinions, too) will the sound change dramatically from what exhaust configuration I have now? I mean, after mild head work on stock heads, Woods cam (555 or 400), directional lifters, TTS and still undecided intake (should I enlarge throttle body slightly too?) I have to expect some difference in sound, and Fullsac told me that BUB 7s should work fine "in concert" with their headpipe.

I know some would opt for a full system over what I'm describing, but as long as my Bub slip-ons aren't too restrictive I'm hoping to end up with the bike sounding sweet as it is now.

Problem, though, is endcap corrosion. It started within two months of installing on bike and just looks worse all the time. They're oriented upward to match bag slope, and look fine from the side; but look inside and cancerous bubbling of the plating prevails. Yeah, yeah, yeah, call Bub. Sure, send pics to Bub and await a decision from them at their discretion on whether to make it right, blah, blah, blah. Endcaps are $175, so whoa, no matter how diligent I've been about keeping them clean, they just have a half-life of their own, and an expensive one at that. I have called them twice about this issue, told them that they make the sweetest sounding pipe in the world but endcaps esta basura and they're not jumping to make it right.

Question: I don't know everything about plating, just the basics, but what is it about these endcaps that garners so many complaints? Is it the lack of preparation of the metal prior to plating or the underlying metal itself or just not enough of it?

John