Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why would this make a difference?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2010, 11:34 PM
SIU 96
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default why would this make a difference?

96" stock engine, from new top end of engine seemed to rattle like lifter noise. Could even hear it loud with ear plugs at high and low speeds. One thing I am doing different, instead of waiting till the fuel pump quits before I start I now start as soon as I turn the ****. A lot less noise dont hear it when I wear ear plugs. What was making that racket in the engine?

Old 10-28-2010, 11:41 PM
cjairplane
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of a couple things that would make a racket, but none that would be affected differently if you wait for the fuel pump or not. That stumps me...I've got the same engine and hear noises...I've had tranny problems already (3500 miles!) Good luck, Sir. Remember, it is a Harley...they make noise.

Old 10-29-2010, 01:47 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Ha! I can't believe how quiet my new 96 is.
I have a Panhead.
Not only do you hear the lifters but you can tell which is which!
Enjoy it while you can, someday soon we'll have liquid cooled motors to take care of the noise and loose tolerances. ( which engineering-wise is good.)
Panhead also requires manual timing adjustments and carb adjustments if the temperature changes.

Can't think of a reason that noise would be different if you don't wait for fuel system to get up to pressure---certainly no advantage in running the starter if the injectors are dry.
( I love the way the 96 starts right up, and thumb! no kicker!)

MK

Old 10-29-2010, 06:28 AM
BigDaddyMike
Club Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you sat on top of your Chevy small block or Ford engine you'd hear a lot of noise too!

Old 10-29-2010, 11:38 AM
caberto
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I get the same noise under the same conditions... have wondered about that too, but as others have said, HD's make a lot of noise, and most people seem to think this is normal, so I haven't pursued it - have only had mine for under two months (with over 1700 miles now :-) ). I haven't tried what you did, but it really makes no sense to me as to why/how it would affect that noise, and I'm not sure I would want to get in the habit of starting it up without the fuel pump doing it's thing... but I may try it once or twice to see if I get the same results... weird.

I've had similar noises on other bikes at the higher rpms; one turned out be a loose headlight screw, and another was the adjusting screws on my hwy bar foot pegs were not tight enough.

Last edited by caberto; 10-29-2010 at 11:45 AM.
Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM
SIU 96
Tourer

Over the years I have owned or driven most bikes on the road. This is my first harley. I have about 8 k on this RK. When I first got it I thought I had bought a lemon because of all the noises the engine makes. Thank goodness I had this forum to help me understand this was mostly normal. Kinda funny looking back when I think about how freaked out I was.
Since the bike was new I have noticed this particular noise would come and go. But it always done this when the bike started, sometimes I start the bike the noise was not there, other times it would be there every time I started the bike. Seems like it kinda ran in cycles.
I tried as many things as I could to alter that cycle. When I do the for mentioned start before full prime the noise does not come back. And yes I have gone back to full prime before start just to see and the noise is there and always there when I use the kill switch to shut down instead of the ****. I doubt that I am doing damage to the bike starting it this way as it starts instantly.
Its also hard to believe this would be a mechanical noise as it appears to be fuel system related. Its just really a big difference in sound. Very strange.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:36 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

compensator? That fixed my horrible start up noises and rattles.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:54 PM
SIU 96
Tourer

Had the SE comp done at dealer 2k ago. A little less noise, starts now with out sounding like a grenade going off, sweet.

One thing I also noticed, compression stroke vibes in pegs and boards increased. Funny thing it kinda makes you feel like your a bit more connected to the bike torque. Another thing I like but cant explain.

Old 10-30-2010, 12:01 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

+1 siu 96

Old 10-30-2010, 08:18 AM
gunner11
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn up the radio, it's a Harley. Personally I think you should wait until the fuel injection primes before you start it. Harley's make noise, learn to love it.

Quick Reply: why would this make a difference?