Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New style Radio in older Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 11:15 AM
roadkingtexas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New style Radio in older Ultra

Has anyone tried to put a Harmon Kardon Radio in a older 2003 ultra? I was told that it cant be done. But i see after market radios that are available? Whats up with that?

Old 11-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

There's no problem installing the Harman Kardon radio HD's been using since the '06 model year in an '03 Ultra. You won't have the automatic volume control because the vehicle speed information used by the HK radio doesn't use the same sensor your '03 uses. It may be possible to alter the HK radio to provide AVC on an '03. Check with Iron Cross Audio:

http://www.ironcrossaudio.com/winter-warranty.html

If you want CB/Intercom with the HK radio, you can add it but you'll need to do some minor rewiring inside the fairing.

If you're having issues with the OEM radio, call Radio Sound (HD's vendor of the OEM radio in your bike): (502) 267-6768.

Biketronics and Hawg-wired offer kits for installing automotive radios.

Carl

Old 11-12-2010, 12:03 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 987 Likes on 678 Posts

Guys are using Biketronics adapters for their radio's....P.M. Harleypingman (Carl) he is up on all that stuff!!!...Good Luck and Rock On................o~`o...................

Old 11-12-2010, 01:52 PM
andyp
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I put an 08 Harman Kardan radio in my 04 Flhtc used it for about 1 yr and started having problems.Instead of fixing it,I bought a Biketronics module and mounting kit ,I am now using a Alpine marine radio and am very pleased,no more problems,And iif and when it dies,I can replace it for the same price or less than repairing the Harman kardan.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:00 PM
jaynix
1st Gear

Hi, I was installing a 2011 HK radio in a 2003 Road Glide with the Harley XM module.
I have cut down the overlay as you said. I am having trouble finding the interconnect
on the motorcycle.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:25 PM
diesel6060
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

I was thinking about pulling my HK radio out of my 07 streetglide. If you are interested, make me an offer.

Old 02-20-2011, 11:52 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaynix
Hi, I was installing a 2011 HK radio in a 2003 Road Glide with the Harley XM module.
I have cut down the overlay as you said. I am having trouble finding the interconnect
on the motorcycle.
Not sure about who said to cut down the overlay (harness), but if you check the first post in this thread, you'll see how I replaced the 3-wire connector with the correct 6-wire connector that the non-Ultra overlay harness' connector labeled "interconnect" mates with:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...tra-glide.html

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-21-2011, 01:14 AM
jaynix
1st Gear

Thanks Carl, I think this helps me a lot. Great Info Jay

Old 02-21-2011, 11:29 PM
jaynix
1st Gear
Default HK Radio

Ok A few questions . Putting a 2011 HK Radio In a 2003 Road Glide.
Adding the Harley XM Module and nothing else. Now I have the 3 Wire
interconnect and converting to the 6 pin to fit the new overlay harness.
In the attached interconnect I pull the orange wire out and retain the two
other wires, V/GY and the BE/Y. Now, I noticed the interconnect on the overlay has a Y/OR and a Y/Violet wire along with the Red/O and the
BK/GN. I also understand the R/O and the BK/GN from the 23 pin radio connector splice into this. The Y/OR and the Y/Violet on the overlay interconnect, plug into the now new 6 pin on the harness Even though
you use 4 wires.However, there is no Y/OR and Y/Violet on the existing
6 pin plug but they are on the overlay interconnect. What am misunderstanding on this. Thanks Jay

Old 02-22-2011, 12:03 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by jaynix
Ok A few questions . Putting a 2011 HK Radio In a 2003 Road Glide.
Adding the Harley XM Module and nothing else. Now I have the 3 Wire
interconnect and converting to the 6 pin to fit the new overlay harness.
In the attached interconnect I pull the orange wire out and retain the two
other wires, V/GY and the BE/Y. Now, I noticed the interconnect on the overlay has a Y/OR and a Y/Violet wire along with the Red/O and the
BK/GN. I also understand the R/O and the BK/GN from the 23 pin radio connector splice into this. The Y/OR and the Y/Violet on the overlay interconnect, plug into the now new 6 pin on the harness Even though
you use 4 wires.However, there is no Y/OR and Y/Violet on the existing
6 pin plug but they are on the overlay interconnect. What am misunderstanding on this. Thanks Jay
Jay,

You aren't "misunderstanding" anything. The six-wire connector (that uses four wires) you've created replicates the 6B connector on the '06 and newer Electra Glides/Street Glides/Road Glides interconnect harness. And that "new" 6B connector allows you to connnect the NUOH and add the XM module successfully. If you have access to a wiring diagram for an '06 or newer non-CVO EG/SG/RG you'll confirm the 6B connector's configuration.

If you are asking me "why" HD didn't use the other two available slots for two more wires in the 6B connector, I can't tell you. New add-on modules, (Navigation Interface Module and IPOD module), provide separate harnesses that include use of the unused slots (4 and 5) in the 6B connector, but don't connect to another connector on the NUOH like the XM, CB, etc. do.

Beyond what I've said here, I can't add more. Understand that when I did mine, my goal was to replicate the interconnect harness of the '06 and newer EG/SG models which led me to the 6B connector/wiring, and the single wire change to the 23 wire connector (connector 27) for the vehicle speed in slot 9 (the white/green wire). By replicating the interconnect harness of the '06 bikes, I was confident that the retrofit of the HK radio, as well as adding other accessories reliant on the NUOH would work successfully; and so they have.

Frankly, there are other ways to do what I did and what you're planning to do. After all, you're simply trying to wire the XM to the HK radio using the correct pinouts of the HK radio with the harness on the XM, and any other accessory you may add later. I haven't checked in many months, but it may be that the only wires needed by the NUOH from the 6B connector are the power and ground wires; the other two may be unnecessary--it's been many months but I think someone said as much on HDF. If you trace out all the wires involved, you can probably answer the question. Me, I'm not that curious; replicating the 6B connector to comply with the OEM interconnect harness was all I was trying to do.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Quick Reply: New style Radio in older Ultra