Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 09:39 PM
bwana1
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

The only thing the download accomplishes is putting $150 in the dealer's pocket. Whether you use HD or after market components, it is generic, epa compliant, and does nothing to adjust timong.

Bwana

Old 11-24-2010, 05:47 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts

When I first bought my bike, I had V&H slip ons/SE ventilator intake/stage 1 flash installed and the bike ran well. I now have a SEPST installed/same intake/FM Jackpots and SEPST stage 1 download installed and runs slightly better. Yes the stage 1 flash is permanently married to the ECU but a SEPST/TTS/PCV does override/adjust the flash for proper fueling....

Old 11-24-2010, 08:25 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by sanlyn
I had the Race Tuner for my Fat Bob ... now that I have the Road Glide, I can't find a Race Tuner, just the Street Tuner. Any idea how to find one? I've seen some used ones, but once they're "married" to the bike, they can't be used on another bike.
From what i understand the TTS Mastertune is the old SE race tuner, Steve Cole just doesnt work with Harley anymore. I could be wrong?

Old 11-24-2010, 08:32 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I have the stage one down load and a PCV. I had the stage one download on my 06 Nightrain and it ran great! I didn't know that was the last year they enrichened the mixture. I could tell after i had the download done to my 2010 street glide that the download was missing something. After I put the PCV on with a fuel moto map I could tell right away that I had the seat of the pants power that i was missing.

I understand that the flash stays with the ecm, but has anyone reflashed back to factory specs to run another tuner? I believe mine is running fine with both but after i install some cams i'm going to want to get a dyno tune. Will the tuner be able to tune the bike OK with the flash in the ecm?
OP, do yourself a favor and don't get the flash!

Old 11-24-2010, 08:52 AM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I must have an unusual bike.

When I first bought my bike, it ran fine. No pinging or other problems. It wasn't (and still isn't) the most powerful bike I've ever had but I knew that before I bought it.

I had the dealer install the Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit that replaced the backing plate of the stock air cleaner. The stock "football" cover is still on the bike. They also reflashed the ECM. The bike still runs fine and has no pinging or any other issues.

I do not plan to make any other changes to the engine so the purchase of any other type of tuner will not be necessary.

Personally, I like the fact that the bike still meets (as far as I know) all applicable EPA guidelines and the fact that any dealer should be able to work on the bike as everything done is factory supplied.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:26 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I must have an unusual bike.

When I first bought my bike, it ran fine. No pinging or other problems. It wasn't (and still isn't) the most powerful bike I've ever had but I knew that before I bought it.

I had the dealer install the Screaming Eagle air cleaner kit that replaced the backing plate of the stock air cleaner. The stock "football" cover is still on the bike. They also reflashed the ECM. The bike still runs fine and has no pinging or any other issues.

I do not plan to make any other changes to the engine so the purchase of any other type of tuner will not be necessary.

Personally, I like the fact that the bike still meets (as far as I know) all applicable EPA guidelines and the fact that any dealer should be able to work on the bike as everything done is factory supplied.
You don't have an unusual Bike, you're just not on the Tuner Koolaid. Do some research and you'll see how capable the stock ECM is. I have FL-XIED'S from niterider on my 2010 with stage1 and pipes. It runs like a raped ape. Get 45 MPG average. In case you are not familiar with XIED's, they enrich the closed loop from 14.6 to 13.8 That's where I ride 98% of the time. I didn't need the Rev Limiter raised, so I didn't get the Dealer DL. only spent 100 bucks for the FL-XIED's.

Old 11-24-2010, 09:45 AM
teqsand
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 21 Likes on 12 Posts

My dealer point blank told me the DL was a waste of money, he was not trying to sell me something different, just being honest.....all it does is raise the rev limit, and honestly how many of us really ride that close to the edge of the redline/

Old 11-24-2010, 09:59 AM
Ronp42
Account Retired
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by teqsand
My dealer point blank told me the DL was a waste of money, he was not trying to sell me something different, just being honest.....all it does is raise the rev limit, and honestly how many of us really ride that close to the edge of the redline/
The moco should get the Dealer's to get their stories straight. I know a Dealer in Ga. who is rated near the top when it comes to service. I asked the service rep.about maybe putting a V&H Pro pipe or D&D Fatcat on my bike with the stage1 A/F He said he could handle it with the DL.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:05 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Stage 1 download on a 2011 does raise afr's remeber epa is only checked in narrow range. here is a stage 1 map for touring model with slip ons and air cleaner. it runs very well, again these stage 1 downloads are built around particular se parts so if you vary it might not work so well.

Attached Thumbnails can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?-afr-001.jpg  

Last edited by mtclassic; 11-24-2010 at 03:33 PM.
Old 11-24-2010, 03:52 PM
hellmut73
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow, Lots of confusion.

NO- the stage one download does not "marry" itself to the ECM. You can reflash a new map to the ECM using a tuner like the SERT or Mastertune. But not a power comander.

There is only one tuner I know of that can capture the stock tuning files off of the ECM. Dynojet Power Vision- comes out in December.

Those that have the stage one down load and are running Power Commanders on top it can have their HD dealer reflash the ECM with the stock map file- They are feeding you a line if they say that they can't. If you are using the SERT I believe that you can down load the stock map file, but it does not come with the tuner program disk. Call HD customer service.

XIED's- Please... They do not adjust any VE tables and only work in closed loop. Put the bike in open loop and you are using stock VE and AFR tables. They are great if all you do is ride on the hwy at a constant speed.

I saw someone say that they could not find the SERT? If you get a 2011 Screaming Eagle catalog (either from dealer or HD website) they are on page 29. Product # 32109-08B for the doggle. Still very much available.

Quick Reply: can anyone explain the stage 1 dowload?