Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Horn repair

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 05:38 PM
emwolb
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

it's on the left of the bike as you're sitting on it under the chrome cover which is also known as the cowbell because it almost looks like one.

Old 01-03-2011, 09:12 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the good advice everyone. Lowcountry Joe, appreciate the details. Unfortunately, had to go back to work today after a long holiday break. So work on the horn will have to wait. And it got a lot cooler here in central Louisiana. Waiting on some warmer weather as well.

Old 01-09-2011, 06:50 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Default Horn repair, cont'd

Ok, have removed the horn and checked it. It works (connected directly to the battery). Discovered it's a Nautilus Stebel airhorn....awesome. LOUD! I have replaced the relay switch as well. Still no horn. No voltage at the horn connections, so it's gotta be the switch. I've removed the switch housing on the handle bar. Any advice on the best way to remove the horn switch out of that housing? How expensive is a new horn switch? Figure that's an HD only part. Thanks for the help.

Old 01-09-2011, 07:18 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If there's no power getting to the horn, it could also be a blown fuse. Have you checked to see if there is an in-line fuse in the wiring going to the air horn or for a blown fuse in the main fuse panel?

Old 01-09-2011, 08:57 PM
k-hook
Advanced

Yeah, checked all the fuses, including an inline fuse leading to the relay. I've look all over the fuse box, and I don't see a fuse for the horn listed on the panel...which would explain an inline fuse I suppose.

Old 01-09-2011, 09:15 PM
Jackie Paper
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,540 Likes on 3,792 Posts
Default My 04

On my 04 the power to the original horn comes from the 15 amp accessories fuse. That is what should be turning your add on horn relay on. The actuall power supply to the relay is that inline fuse some one has added straight to battery. Your horn switch shares the same ground as your netural switch, so if your netural switch light is OK and the bike will start in netural the ground should be OK. If you want I will find were ground 3 is located just in case.

Last edited by Jackie Paper; 01-10-2011 at 10:41 PM.
Old 01-10-2011, 01:25 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Continuted thoughts on your horn issue

For a Stebel air horn, voltage MUST be fed to this horn by a 30 amp automotive relay. DO NOT USE ANY OF THE STOCK WIRING TO DIRECTLY POWER THIS HORN OR YOU WILL RUN A VERY HIGH RISK OF DAMAGE TO THE STOCK WIRING AND TO THE HORN SWITCH CONTACTS. Sorry about the all caps, but I don't want you to cause needless damage to your bike.

With the switch on, check for voltage at the coil of the relay when you press the horn button. If there is no voltage there, then check the wires that are attached to the relay coil and trace them all the way back to the switch.

If there is voltage making it's way to the relay coil, then you need to verify that the relay is working. That Stebel pulls around 18 amps. As I said (emphatically) earlier, you should be using a 30 amp sealed automotive relay to power this horn. You should be able to hear a "click" when voltage is applied to the coil of the relay. That "click" is the relay contacts "making". If the relay is OK, then look for a fuse problem or some other connectivity problem back toward the battery (this horn should be wired directly to the battery via the relay...it should get it's voltage from NO OTHER SOURCE on your bike.

There should be a fuse between the relay and the battery. Or maybe the installer put the fuse between the relay and the horn. This is something you will need to determine. See if you can find this fuse. You should have a 25 amp fuse in-line preferably between the battery and the relay, anything less has the propensity to blow due to intermittent inrush current....especially when the horn is operated with only the switch on and the motor not running. The horn will try to pull the wattage it needs, so if your bike is not running, and the battery voltage is below normal, it will pull more amps to make the power it needs....so sometimes a marginally rated fuse might blow in this condition....but not every time...this is just a possibility worth noting. You can get a weather-proof fuse holder that takes the larger blade-type automotive fuses from any of the auto parts stores. That's what I use.

Just keep chugging...you will eventually find the problem. Keep the faith and don't lose patience. This kind of thing is a learning experience for anyone that has ever messed with it, and you will come away with knowledge about your bike that you did not have before you started working this issue.

And knowledge is a good thing!

Old 01-16-2011, 05:28 PM
k-hook
Advanced
Default Horn repaired! LOUD, LOUD, LOUD!

Thanks for all the advice, everyone. Lowcountry Joe, I did as you said, took my time, and just decided to re-wire the horn according to instructions and a wiring diagram I found online. Amazing, with all the right connections, the thing actually works! And boy is it loud! Awesome. I love it. And for those of you who are north of the Mason Dixon Line, weather's been in the mid to upper 50's here. Terrific ride yesterday...and I honked at all my neighbors...Hardy har!

Old 09-05-2020, 10:29 AM
Paulpants
Stage I
Default Horn wire

Found yellow wire with black stripe broken in harness between gas tank and steering neck

Old 09-05-2020, 02:00 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,364 Likes on 2,619 Posts

Originally Posted by Paulpants
Found yellow wire with black stripe broken in harness between gas tank and steering neck
Welcome to HD Forums and thank you for resurrecting a 9 year old thread.

The following users liked this post:
Paulpants (09-07-2020)