Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

pop-up or flush gas cap options please

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 05:04 AM
Lurk
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pop-up or flush gas cap options please

I have a black 2007 Road King and would like to switch out the stock tank caps with pop-up style (I think Harley calls them "flush") caps. I'd like the pop-up caps black to match the tank color. I don't believe Harley offered them in black for 2007s. They come in chrome, and I considered powder coating those but I'm assuming powder coating those would mess up the LED fuel level lights (please correct me if I'm wrong).

I've found pop-up style caps on ebay but only chrome and wrinkle black. I'd be willing to buy either of those and have it powder coated gloss black if there isn't a better option.

I have a couple questions before I decide: 1) do any of you have experience with these caps and any advise?; 2) does anyone know where to find the pop-up style caps in gloss black?; and 3) if I go with caps on ebay, do I need a vented cap or a non-vented cap?

Thank you-

Old 02-03-2011, 05:48 AM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I just put a fat baggers inc. Pop up cap on mine. I like it. I was told that they can't be painted too easily because of the rim around the knurled edge. I have a second one still in the packaging. If you are interested let me know. I bought two in case one got screwed up by painting it but decided not to.

Old 02-03-2011, 06:08 AM
Dan Lang
Novice

Edited by Admin.

If you can't be civil and show some respect, you will be banned.

Grover #2 Admin

Old 02-04-2011, 09:29 AM
Lurk
6th Gear

ptl203,
Thanks for the input. I may be interested, but I'm still trying to figure out what I'm going to do. I'm wondering if those can be powder coated. Can you tell if there is any rubber or plastic in the cap? I know there's a rubber gasket that goes on during installation, but are there any other gaskets or plastic pieces at all?

Old 02-04-2011, 10:56 AM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The flush gas cap and gauge from H-D are made of chromed plastic. If you paint or powdercoat the gauge you will lose (cover) the LED fuel gauge.

You may want to do this anyway - the LEDs on my gauge began to fail randomly. Somethimes they would all be lit, somtimes some of the middle lights would be out.. it did appear to change with the level in the tank but you couldn't use the lights to determine what was actually in the tank. The gauge was still under warranty so I went back to the dealer. They wouldn't honor the warranty because they said it was actually a Kuryakyn part that H-D was selling. I told the dealer it came in a H-D box with H-D instructions - no way the dealer would move on it. He also said these things fail regularly and that several revisions had been produced.

I use the Fuel Remaining indication on the dash and don't really care about the LEDs anyway, so I tried disconnecting the wire to the gauge to kill the LEDs. When you do this you lose the Fuel Remaining indication. Apparently I am stick with dorky looking LEDs.

Old 02-04-2011, 02:02 PM
stupid_rope
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I ordered the FBI dash and pop up cap...should be here just in time for daytona

Old 02-04-2011, 02:06 PM
firefighter616
Club Member
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

I like them
I want one in black with a skull
haven't looked real hard though

Old 02-05-2011, 06:11 AM
Lurk
6th Gear

Are the pop up caps you guys have used vented or non-vented?

I'm assuming you replaced both caps on the tank (the gauge cap and the filler cap)? Based on badjustbad's info (nice avatar by the way) do I need a special cap for the gauge side so my speedo will show the Fuel Remaining indicator light?

Old 02-05-2011, 02:14 PM
badjustbad
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lurk
Are the pop up caps you guys have used vented or non-vented?

I'm assuming you replaced both caps on the tank (the gauge cap and the filler cap)? Based on badjustbad's info (nice avatar by the way) do I need a special cap for the gauge side so my speedo will show the Fuel Remaining indicator light?
The gauge and gas cap come in the set - H-D Part # 62823-08B. The Fuel Remaining indicator in the gas cap is just a line of blue LEDs that "should" light according to the level in the tank (e.g., 6 LEDs = 3/4 of a tank, 4 LEDs = 1/2 a tank). The Fuel Remaining indicator on the Speedo works off of the gas gauge. What I was pointing out above is, you can't disconnect the gas gauge to disable the LEDs or the Fuel Remaining indicator on the Speedo stops working.

When I purchased my gauge and gas caps they only came in chrome. I see they now have gloss black as well - H-D Part # 75027-08B.

Interesting, the part number implies it was a 2008 part but I bought my RKC early in the year and it may not have been available yet. I would have gone with the black version.

Old 02-06-2011, 02:54 AM
Lurk
6th Gear

My bike's an 07 RK so I don't think the 08 parts will work. I have considered the non-Harley options like the FBI cap, but if I use one of those on the gauge side the Fuel Remaining indicator light on my Speedo won't come on right?

Quick Reply: pop-up or flush gas cap options please