Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 streetglide cam question

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2011, 11:01 PM
roadgliderick
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

i just installed woods 555s on my 2011 roadglide with true duals t-max ness big sucker. and my bike jambs pretty well with the addition of the woods 555s cams very glad i bought them. good luck on your choice if u do decide to go with woods 555s u wont be sorry.

Old 02-13-2011, 11:06 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by davewear
Having just recently gone thru the hell of trying to make the right cam choice I'll tell ya what finally pushed me to make a decision.... Just make a decision, the stock 96 biggest weakness is in the EPA cams and pretty much any of the popular cams discussed here will give u a great performance increase. I did a lot of reading on this site, on other sites and I also talked to bob wood of woods cams and then I just went with my gut feeling like it was unlikely I would make a poor choice. Tuna out I made a great choice......

That's good advice. Lots of guys get all spooled up over cams, and the discussion gets lots of play here and on other forums. Basically, the moco has done a bunch of work for us recently. The head redesign in 06 has made a huge difference, and just getting rid of the epa cams and catalytic converter if you have one makes a HUGE difference in the way your bike runs. The stock cams are designed to minimize emissions, and they do this my eliminating overlap. This ensures that no unburned fuel escapes with the exhaust gasses, but it's lousy for performance because it prevents proper scavenging. If you add a little overlap and duration to your cams, you can get an easy 15+ hp and tq increase, and that's something you definitely feel in the seat of your pants. A cam swap makes a big difference in the recent motors, back in the evo days and even with the 88 c.i. motors, you needed to do a little more work than just a simple cam swap to get those kind of results.

SE255 or 204, Woods 6 or 555, Andrews 37, any of these will work well for you. The SE255 cams actually work very well in a stock 96, and match up nicely to the compression in those motors. They can be had very cheaply on ebay and make an easy upgrade. If you're not ever going to increase displacement beyond 96, they're a great choice. Not my choice for 103 and larger motors, but if you're not planning an increase beyond 96, they'll work great.

Old 02-14-2011, 12:43 AM
evostroker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just put a set of tw555's in my 09..Yet to be dynoed but they are not any noisier than the stock cams..I re-used the Harley lifters...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
davewear
Road Warrior
Received 195 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
That's good advice. Lots of guys get all spooled up over cams, and the discussion gets lots of play here and on other forums. Basically, the moco has done a bunch of work for us recently. The head redesign in 06 has made a huge difference, and just getting rid of the epa cams and catalytic converter if you have one makes a HUGE difference in the way your bike runs. The stock cams are designed to minimize emissions, and they do this my eliminating overlap. This ensures that no unburned fuel escapes with the exhaust gasses, but it's lousy for performance because it prevents proper scavenging. If you add a little overlap and duration to your cams, you can get an easy 15+ hp and tq increase, and that's something you definitely feel in the seat of your pants. A cam swap makes a big difference in the recent motors, back in the evo days and even with the 88 c.i. motors, you needed to do a little more work than just a simple cam swap to get those kind of results.

SE255 or 204, Woods 6 or 555, Andrews 37, any of these will work well for you. The SE255 cams actually work very well in a stock 96, and match up nicely to the compression in those motors. They can be had very cheaply on ebay and make an easy upgrade. If you're not ever going to increase displacement beyond 96, they're a great choice. Not my choice for 103 and larger motors, but if you're not planning an increase beyond 96, they'll work great.
you were one of the ones that got me to make a choice and not get so caught up in it all, so thanks for that.