Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

High TQ. clutch setup

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 06:40 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High TQ. clutch setup

Anyone having good luck with the SE race clutch with over 130 ft. lbs. tq ? Looking at the Rivera Primo Pro complete clutch inner hub and outer basket for the 120R because the pull of the SE race clutch sucks and i have seen that it is not holding what they say it will torque wise. Don't want any easy pull setup as it takes away from clutch seperation because of the lengthening of the arm or having a shallower ramp. Bandit,Rivera or Barnett? Barnett has a vpc but you have to use their primary cover because it is so wide. Bandit wants another 1000 for their version of the vpc on top of the 1100 for their clutch set up and Rivera has a tpp or Aim's vpc will fit it. Every time i think that i found the right set up i see some other post that is changing my choice.

Old 02-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High TQ, clutch setup

It sounds as though we may be having similiar issues. The Rivera is not holding, as of yet anyway. Time will tell. We will be talking to Rivera next week.

BD

Old 02-20-2011, 11:24 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Rivera clutch

Originally Posted by Bad Disposition
It sounds as though we may be having similiar issues. The Rivera is not holding, as of yet anyway. Time will tell. We will be talking to Rivera next week.

BD
What kind of torque and hp are you putting to it? From what i have found you need the gold spring and if your not using their outer clutch basket and are using the stock HD outer basket they flex and cause slipping problems. There is also the TPP or ASM vpc that you can put on top of the pressure plate. I'm getting ready to buy the whole clutch from them outer and inner hub with the gold diaphragm spring for my 120R. The other issue is they say use atf with their clutch and i won't use that with the SE compensator. They do not want to hear about using any other fluid in there, i have gone back and forth with them about it. Redline MTL made a mess out of one of the Compensator's so i am all done with that in there.A little concerned about useing formula plus or 10-40 in there and having slipping problems with their clutch after dishing out close to 1000.00 What do they tell their Jap dirt bike riders to use in their clutch in a four stroke or two stroke that use a 10-40 or similar fluid for transmission and clutch or engine transmisson and clutch that share the same fluid?

Old 02-21-2011, 03:11 PM
Bad Disposition
Tourer
Default High TQ. Clutch setup

Before the dyno indicates slippage, it gets to about 140/140 then craps out, There is more hp and tq to be had. We are using the Rivera Pro-Clutch, with new plates, gold spring and the TPP unit ATF is also being used. Thanks we are on the same page. We will have to see what Rivera HAs to say tomorrow.

BD.

Old 02-21-2011, 03:31 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Rivera clutch

Are you useing the stock outer basket? I see that Rivera's gold spring is 400 and Aim's gold that fits the Rivera is 480,wondering if it is better to go with Aims vpc and gold spring over the Rivera tpp and their gold spring? Rivera tech also told me to run the Primary fluid low with their clutch if i'm not using atf. Last time i talked to them i was told not to use any other fluid than atf now today they said it is ok to run other fluids but run them low. Really having some trouble picking a clutch set up that i feel comfortable purchasing.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:39 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer

Yes we are using Rivers's stock outer basket.

Thanks for the spring info., that's interesting The fluid info is also good.

Phil

Old 02-22-2011, 12:55 PM
Hammy
Tourer

I just ordered the Rivera ProClutch Complete with TPP. hopefully it works for me, I'll only be putting out around 115-120 torque, so I shouldn't have an issue should I?

Old 02-22-2011, 01:09 PM
cuda67bnl
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by hydrolock43
The other issue is they say use atf with their clutch and i won't use that with the SE compensator. They do not want to hear about using any other fluid in there, i have gone back and forth with them about it. Redline MTL made a mess out of one of the Compensator's so i am all done with that in there.
How does ATF affect the compensator?

Old 02-22-2011, 02:16 PM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Default Clutch plates and SE compensator

Seems like they like different fluids. I tried Redline mtl primary fluid for 1700 miles with a new SE compensator took it apart and the SE compensator was tearing the spokes and red rusty fretting in the sprocket bore with plenty of side clearance .034 for oil to get in there. It is a SE compensator design issue that makes atf fluid a real bad choice in there. Atf would and does work fine with other set ups other than the SE compensator. Now that i am searching for an after market clutch set up that holds more hp/tq then the stock clutch unit i am running into most all the aftermarket clutch makers demanding the use of atf with their clutches. Out of three calls to Rivera about questions i have with their clutch one tech told me it was fine to run other oils than atf with their clutch but run them much lower than the 38-45 oz that HD recommends. Bandit recommends 14oz in the primary with their clutch that fits in the stock outer basket. I also was concerned about the outer clutch basket bearing in the Rivera which is sealed on both sides which you would need in a dry clutch application to hold the lube in the bearing. In a wet primary i would remove both seals and allow primary oil to lube it rather than a factory greased packing,Rivera said that was a good thing to do. I'm wondering if the Rivera with it's huge friction plate surface is better suited for running dry vs. an oil bath that they are saying to lower because of slipping issues? I myself would never use Atf or MTL with an SE compensator again.

Old 02-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Bad Disposition
Tourer

Hammy you should be fine....I hope you ordered the gold spring.

I am pushing larger numbers, requiring a heavier spring.

Good luck

Quick Reply: High TQ. clutch setup