Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Temp Gauge Install - 2011 RGC

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 08:16 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 58 Posts
Cool Oil Temp Gauge Install - 2011 RGC

Oil Temperature Gauge - Fairing Mount Silver Face - 75324-05A

From the pdf file downloaded from HD:

The ones included in the box... looks like a copy of a copy of a copy and the paper moved so part of the instructions are cut out, Again, glad that they have the original instructions in pdf format in the parts catalog online. So if this is the same in your case, just go to the HD parts site online, look up the oil temp gauge (Part Number - 75324-05A) and download a pdf version of the install instructions.

First off, remove the front fairing. Don't know how?? Here you go: Front Fairing Removal-Install 2011 RGC

Instructions asks you to drain the oil, remove the plug, install the adapter and then install the sensor... I was not ready to do an oil change. So, I installed the sensor in the adapter and removed the plug and installed the sensor and adapter as one piece... very little oil lost in the process.

Also, instructions are documented as if you will remove the air temp gauge and install it there. I wanted both oil gauges to be on the same side. So after looking at it for awhile, I notice that the Volt gauge has no additional sensor wire. It just feeds two grounds and two positives... easy. I move the Volt gauge over to where the air temp gauge was and installed the oil temp in its place.

Removing Volt gauge

Just unplug the two plugs, unbolt those two nuts, and the plastic black ring comes out. Once you have done that you can gently push out the gauge while holding it from the front.

New oil temp gauge installed:

And no worries that it would go in crooked, there is a tab in the ring that holds it down to avoid that.

Install it where the Air Temp Gauge is, plug the black plug in place (provides power to the gauge light. I then remove the air temp sensor wire from the plug and plugged that into the gauge. I put some shrinking wrap around the terminal to avoid it contacting anything... regular electrical tape works fine too. That side was done.

EDIT: You really do not need to remove the sensor terminal from the plug as the Volt gauge does not have a third tab...so you could just plug it in and be done with it...

Connected the harness to the sensor, routed the harness and held it in place with the tie wraps provided in the kit. There is a caution to not tie it to the brake lines. In through the neck. Wire terminal climping tool used to secure the terminal to the wire. Follow the instruction on what wire goes where (two blacks to ground, two reds to positve, yellow to sensor terminal). Install the nuts.

Stand back and admire your work. Clean any oil around the oil pan or floor. Have a glass of your favorite install fluid...

Last edited by wachuko; 03-17-2011 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:52 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I recently bought the oil temp gauge and must have copy of your copy...lol, thanks for the info.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:24 AM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Smile

Originally Posted by dbell66253
I recently bought the oil temp gauge and must have copy of your copy...lol, thanks for the info.

No kidding, guy doing the copies must have had a few shots of Jack Daniels, or something, lol.

It is a fairly straight forward install, but thought it would be good to share photos of my install in case someone was reluctant to do this themselves.

Cheers!

Old 03-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Excellent write-up and great pictures. Thanks for sharing.

Carl

Old 03-17-2011, 01:26 PM
mllgator
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude
Keep up the good work. Your explanations are clear and to the point.

Exellent - Thanks to your help, new speakers and hidden antenna are going in this weekend.

Old 03-17-2011, 01:41 PM
wachuko
Outstanding HDF Member
Cool

Originally Posted by mllgator
Dude
Keep up the good work. Your explanations are clear and to the point.

Exellent - Thanks to your help, new speakers and hidden antenna are going in this weekend.
What antenna are you going with? I also eliminated the rear antenna and I am looking for something to hide in the front fairing.

I read of folks using an inexpensive alternative from Autozone but I did not find the part number.

I also got a set of used 5.25 J&M Speakers, I ordered the newer set of grills with the tweeter and mid-range and want to install everything the same day to avoid having to take that front fairing again... those screw tabs scare me if one was to break...

Old 03-17-2011, 01:49 PM
NoCoLoco
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the same copy of a copy of a copy. It's pretty sad that for $140 they can't even give you a decent set of instructions. It would also be nice if there was a torque spec for the sending unit and adapter fitting.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:46 PM
cdestuck
Supporter

Received 211 Likes on 101 Posts

Thanks for doing that and sharing it. Know there has been some talk before but wondering if HD has made a gauge and face to match my others for a 2010 SE Ultra.

Old 03-17-2011, 09:08 PM
papifun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

awesome write-up... im doing mine next week when i get my new scoot... question... when u will have to change ure oil, will you have to unplug sensor and unscrew fitting to sensor only and not fitting to the Pan. so it wont it wont strip the Pan threads over time??.. would using a T-fitting make more sense so when u drain the oil , so don't have to remove Oil sensor plug ??

Old 03-17-2011, 09:39 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Now do yourself a favor and cover up the temp qauge with some black tape lol. I had one on my 04 and swore I would not get another. Just wait until you are stuck in traffic and the temp starts creeping towards melt down.

Quick Reply: Oil Temp Gauge Install - 2011 RGC