Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing SE compensator kit w/pics

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 07:19 AM
bowa18
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by davessworks
Not that it makes a difference but my local service department stated they'd never grind the part to install the SE Compensator - too much chance the owner would bring it back and blame them for screwing up. I don't care if you grind your primary case or not. It's just not how I choose to do it. Sounds like you've found a way that works for you. Me too.
That's cool, Dave. I've seen other guys mention that they also wouldn't grind but I never seen a reason why not. I've worked in the body shop industry for almost 30 yrs. as a bodyman/painter so I do know my way around cars/motorcycles etc. not to mention working with metals. Common sense tells me that if you can smooth out a little lip without comprising anything to avoid removing more parts, gaskets, etc. etc. then that's the way I'm going. Nothing wrong with going by the book but sometimes it not 100% necessary to get you from point A to point B.

Either way the upgrade is definitely worth the effort regardless of which method is used. I'd still like to hear a good reason for not grinding because after doing it, I sincerely cannot think of one. I guess I don't want someone that is contemplating doing this to be scared off from doing the job themselves because they don't want to mess with removing the inner primary. Or by doing it with the method I, among others, have used just because someone states that they wouldn't grind the lip... without giving a legit reason why it shouldn't be done. We can agree to disagree on this one. Ride safe, Larry P.

Last edited by bowa18; 04-04-2011 at 07:31 AM.
Old 04-04-2011, 08:29 AM
hydrolock43
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Grinding inner primary

There are a number of different casting molds that HD has because some need more material than others removed and some you can even get rotor off without grinding. I took my inner primary off a couple times without grinding but i will remove the material the next time i take it apart, Why i didn't do it the first time is beyond me. There would be no reason not to do it unless you didn't have the proper tools to do it. Issue with your stator or replace output shaft seal would be a much simpler repair without disturbing the inner. I ground the grooves in the spokes of the compensating sprocket with a dremel and i have no more rusty fretting coming out of that now. The two SE compensators before look like **** without that mod. I haven't been sitting up at night worrying about the balancing that i probably threw out grinding the grooves by hand. It breaks i'll fix it simple as that.

Old 04-04-2011, 09:07 AM
big ears
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really appreciate the info with pictures. Will do my own now.

Old 04-04-2011, 10:56 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Looks like a faily cheap upgrade, thanks for the detailed pics. I will be grinding myself, looks much easier and the little bit of lip your ginding doesnt look like it will affect anything. If I hadn't seen this thread and was just doing the upgrade my self I think I would have figured grinding would have been the way I would have gone anyways.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:27 PM
timberland
Road Master
Location: Log home in SE Michigan full time. Log cabin in east TN, Smoky Mountians part time

Excellent write up and photo's. I've copied and pasted the thread into MS Word and saved the file. I've done a few projects like this and posted here...There will be many guys who appreciated your taking the time. I am one of them. Thank You.

Old 04-04-2011, 05:42 PM
bowa18
Cruiser

Originally Posted by timberland
Excellent write up and photo's. I've copied and pasted the thread into MS Word and saved the file. I've done a few projects like this and posted here...There will be many guys who appreciated your taking the time. I am one of them. Thank You.
You're very welcome. I know I like these type threads as well... helps you visualize what it takes to do the job.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:35 PM
lv2ride56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After much research I got a carbide bit and cut the grooves on the back side of the pulley. After cleaning everything up I put it all in the engine and started torqueing the the bolt.
Clicked at 100 so backed off a full turn. Tightened back to the 100 ft/lbs, click. Tightened to 120, click. Reset for 140 and started tightening, SNAP. Broke the bolt. INSIDE the crank.
Managed to drill out and checked with several HD shops. No part in stock. Went to local bolt/nut/screw distributor to see about another bolt. No problem but in the process was told the bolt that comes with the SE compensator is imported, from CHINA, and may not be as strong as an American made bolt. Was told the the American bolt would withstand 165 ft/lbs. Went back to shop and installed reaching 140 ft/lbs very easily.
Go figure.
Made in America motorcycle but parts imported. Might buy metric next time even though I love the Harley. Just tired of the BS trying to improve "updates" that HD won't back up.

Old 04-16-2011, 01:11 AM
myred55
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent write-up! Anyone know the part number for the kit?
Thanks

Old 04-16-2011, 05:42 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member

What's the torque spec's on the primary cover screws?

Old 04-16-2011, 07:53 AM
davessworks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lv2ride56
After much research I got a carbide bit and cut the grooves on the back side of the pulley. After cleaning everything up I put it all in the engine and started torqueing the the bolt.
Clicked at 100 so backed off a full turn. Tightened back to the 100 ft/lbs, click. Tightened to 120, click. Reset for 140 and started tightening, SNAP. Broke the bolt. INSIDE the crank.
Managed to drill out and checked with several HD shops. No part in stock. Went to local bolt/nut/screw distributor to see about another bolt. No problem but in the process was told the bolt that comes with the SE compensator is imported, from CHINA, and may not be as strong as an American made bolt. Was told the the American bolt would withstand 165 ft/lbs. Went back to shop and installed reaching 140 ft/lbs very easily.
Go figure.
Made in America motorcycle but parts imported. Might buy metric next time even though I love the Harley. Just tired of the BS trying to improve "updates" that HD won't back up.
how did they determine bolt was chinese?

Quick Reply: Installing SE compensator kit w/pics