Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Training Course Track Layout

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 11:47 PM
09RKC
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Training Course Track Layout

Hey all!

I just got done with Memphis Whitten's basic rider course. This "this is a mc" course is for new riders but everyone I talk to say to take it anyway. By the time it was over I felt a little bad for one of the students, she had much trouble.

Though I've got 35yr riding I thought it'd be fun, and by the 3rd day it was. That 400lb Buell Blast is a far cry from my 800lb RKC! Felt like my 6'4" 250pb frame was on a unicycle <g>.

The instuctor pointed out some bad habits I've gotten used to. It's actually hard to have to think about what I'm doing as opposed to just doing it but well worth the effort.

Anyway, I'm on a training kick now and would like to 'build' a layout I can use in a church/school parking lots. I have cones and several 1/2 tennis ***** to play with and have used small sqares of duct tape at various spots, so if a cone goes down I know where to put it.

Does anyone know where sample course layouts are available online? I just want to get ideas. I'll emulate Whitten's course best as memory serves but I'd like to have more ideas too.

Tkx!!

Old 04-10-2011, 12:46 AM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

Check out Jerry "Motorman" Palladino's "Ride Like A Pro" site (click here) and go through the "Practice Guide" section...there is some information on how to set up some of his exercises there.

Or, see if your local Community College has a parking lot already painted up with the course- I know there are a couple locations near me (NY's Capital District) that have ALL the painted markings already set up.

I remember when I took the MSF course (never having ridden prior), the instructor said the few who'd ridden a long time on permits would be his toughest students, since they had developed bad habits they'd have to correct- and they usually thought they 'knew it all'. Good to hear you had fun and learned some stuff!

Old 04-10-2011, 01:24 AM
09RKC
Tourer

I don't need to impress anyone so I didn't go in with an attitude, but being a tougher studient is correct! I told the other two (never ridden a road) that they had the advantage of not having to un-learn anything. They cleaned my clock on a few things <g>, it was fun!

Tkx!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:02 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

Send Harris Neil an email and he'll send you, FREE of charge, his 40 page course in a pdf file which includes diagrams for various drills (e.g. offset cone weave, figure 8, etc.):

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-10-2011 at 10:09 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 AM
thecort
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
Send Harris Neil an email and he'll send you his 40 page course in a pdf file which includes diagrams for various drills (e.g. offset cone weave, figure 8, etc.):

motorlessons@hotmail.com

Carl
Always looking to improve & learn. How much does it cost?

Old 04-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts

It's free; I've edited my previous post to clarify that there's no charge. It's very similar to the RLAP exercises.

Carl

Last edited by Harleypingman; 04-10-2011 at 10:22 AM.
Old 04-10-2011, 01:22 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on Harris Neil and also there is a layout in southwest tech parking lot, I also saw the motor cops practicing in the lot beside Sears automotive at Woodchase the area was marked off when they were there, planning on going to check and see if it still is, so I can practice my skills there

Old 04-10-2011, 10:07 PM
Deep6
Cruiser

Thwe Ride Like a Pro Video comes with a fold out Exercise Guide that has the course lay outs. If your just looking for some exercise layouts you can check out Some Police & Civilian Motor Exercises at these sites:
http://www.ci.coppell.tx.us/police-m...tition/courses
http://www.gwta.org/rider_ed/ridingd...dingdrills.htm

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
monstead
Club Member
Location: Dallas, TX & Santa Fe, NM when I can find the time....
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Doug...I'll hook you up. I have the MSF course measurements along with the RLAP layout. I'll (try and remember to) PM you tomorrow. Still have your email from back when you hooked me up with the ramps for my bike for the Pitbull lift. Still at comcast.net?

Hope all is well...haven't seen you around in over a year!

Old 04-10-2011, 10:23 PM
stamper5498
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

there is also a painted course behind Southern Thunder in Southhaven at the convention center or whatever that thing is called. also the Sheriffs dept practices on the back side of the parking lot as well. exit 287 off I55 facing the interstate. it is a full sized course unlike Bumpus Modified course

Quick Reply: Training Course Track Layout