Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Reflective decals for helmets?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 07:59 PM
RobertIII
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reflective decals for helmets?

Anyone put any reflective decals on their helmet for added visability? If so post some pics and or links please. Thinking about doing it to my FF helmet. Thanks

Old 05-19-2011, 08:00 PM
RobertIII
Advanced

sorry meant to post in the sportster forum..still applies I gues..lol

Old 05-19-2011, 08:27 PM
Mick
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

In my state of New York there is a mandatory reflective requirement of 4 square inches of reflective material on the rear and both sides of the helmet.
I don't have any photos , but I use the brightest DOT red and white tape that you see on trucks on the highway for my material.
Usually I use the red on the rear and white on the sides for colors.
The tape is really thick so I make patterns out of thin cardboard and follow the contour of the helmet to make my guides.
A really long piece of straight reflector would end up with a long arch pattern for the helmet.
I just try to make tasteful long pieces that follow the helmet contours to comply with the law.
A fellow HOG member got a ticket in Lockport New York for the reflective material law , In all fairness , he probably lipped off to the officer and the officer was looking for "anything" to ticket him for because of it.
It's not a bad idea anyway if it makes us more "visible" to traffic.
Hey I wear the stupid yellow/green vest when I'm not on a club ride also.
Mick

Old 05-19-2011, 09:31 PM
Smyln
Advanced

Is that reflective tape law for New York residents only, or everyone?

I live in Erie. I don't need a reason to avoid New York, but that would make me.

Old 05-19-2011, 09:40 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

Smyln , is is a written requirement in New York although not generally enforced.
I'm pretty sure it's not a Federal requirement.
Non residents should not be affected , but towns can do noise control at their discretion , so watch the loud pipes in populated areas.
Older guys (like me) and Touring riders (like us) probably get hassled the least anyway .....
Mick

The following users liked this post:
Goose_NC (01-13-2024)
Old 05-19-2011, 09:43 PM
cameraboy
Outstanding HDF Member

Are you sure about that? I can't find anything about it in the NYS V&T laws, I live in NY, took the MSF course in NY, and have a NYS M class license. Noone I ride with in NY ever heard of it either.

Nothing here about that either. I think you are mistaken.

http://www.abateny.org/mclaws.html

BUT WAIT!

Holy crap, look at this:

http://www.newyorkbikerlawyers.com/n...ycle-laws.html

More research is warranted!

But wait again, here's the section of the specific statute, and NOTHING about reflectorization:

http://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/rules-regul...px?reg=571.218

Last edited by cameraboy; 05-19-2011 at 09:57 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:17 PM
outlaw0013
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mick is correct about the 4 sq inches of reflective tape on the helmets. It's been in effect since the early 70's.

Old 05-19-2011, 10:32 PM
Mick
Road Warrior

Here's part of the answer , under Special Rules and required equipment.
http://www.nydmv.state.ny.us/mcmanual/mclicenses.htm
It's more than a recommendation according to local law enforcement.
"All motorcycle operators and passengers must wear approved motorcycle helmets as defined by USDOT federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 218). To improve the motorcyclist's visibility, we recommend that helmets have at least four square inches of reflective material on both sides."
I'm sure it's more strongly worded elsewhere , but it's enough to hang you up for a closer look by the local police.
Mick

Old 05-19-2011, 10:36 PM
SG4Hoov
6th Gear

As a NY rider, and never hearing about this one I did some looking. Found this here
Section SPECIAL RULES AND REQUIRED EQUIPMENT
"All motorcycle operators and passengers must wear approved motorcycle helmets as defined by USDOT federal motor vehicle safety standards (FMVSS 218). To improve the motorcyclist's visibility, we recommend that helmets have at least four square inches of reflective material on both sides."

Hope this helps
Hoov

Old 05-19-2011, 10:40 PM
Northside
Road Warrior
Received 141 Likes on 87 Posts

Yeah they forced that crap on us back in '69. It was part of the DOT forcing states to have a helmet law from 1966. A cop wrote this guy a ticket for not having reflectorized tape on his helmet at 3:00 in the afternoon in August of '72. He was pissed. The guy beat the ticket and formed an organization that helped get the Federal mandate off requiring states to have helmet laws. It passed in '76. When that was done he got a State Senator to sponser a repeal bill in '77. A lot of guys told him he was crazy and they would never repeal that helmet law. After all 49 States had it. The helmet law was repealed here and the fatality rate dropped. We've been riding free for 34 years this May 27. All of that because of that 4 square inch tape bit and a chickenshit cop. So that 4 square inch law was good for something. I saw some pictures of that guy leading a protest rally back in '76 in a scrapbook. It was a much younger version of me.

Last edited by Northside; 05-19-2011 at 10:43 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Northside:
NELS (01-14-2024), s-glide76 (01-13-2024)

Quick Reply: Reflective decals for helmets?