Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Staying a KOA cabins

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2011, 05:38 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Staying a KOA cabins

I'm going out west this summer, and want to stay a KOA cabins, first of all is it worth staying there, second, how much, and third, can any of you tell me where their located? I've looked at their web site, not very much information there.
Going to Iowa, N.Dakota, S.Dakota, Kansas, Wyoming.

thanks,

Old 05-23-2011, 06:02 PM
Too Short
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you google KOA their site will come up. You can request a book from them that covers all 50 states i believe. It tells you the amenites that each has to offer. Complete with phone numbers and all. They might charge you 5 bucks for it. I get one every year just in case. Problem with renting a kabin is they usually want you to do it for 2 days. That's the problem I ran into. Good Luck

Old 05-23-2011, 06:09 PM
pbsdaddy
Extreme HDF Member

Received 5,382 Likes on 2,487 Posts

Check the cabin prices before you start your trip. In some areas the cabins run more than $50 a night. You can find a decent motel, (Red Roof quality), for the same or just a bit more. Since the cabins generally offer 3 beds and a sink, if I have to spend $15 of $20 more for a good motel, it's a non-issue.

Old 05-23-2011, 06:10 PM
SC_Compact
Road Warrior
Received 438 Likes on 180 Posts

I really like the cabins. I've stayed in cabins in NM, Co, Va, Ky, & Fl. Most are nice but not all.

You can geta KOA card and it will save you 10% each stay. I think prices are about $50 a night. Most have heat and A/C. Make sure and bring something to put on the beds. I have a cheap fleece bag that I use.

I really like the KOA cabins. I like sitting around a fire drinking a beer or a little JD after a long day of riding.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:02 PM
moeman
2nd Gear

Did a 6,600 mile trip from Illinois along Route 20 to west coast down to CA back along Rt. 66 last year. KOA cabins became the choice - 3 guys each have a bed - sleeping bag and leather made the linen so to speak. They have showers, laundry facilities, heat and a/c. Beware you have to be at the campground before they close the office to get into the cabin. Prices are different due to location and privately owned. They seem to be located along the interstates and tourist attractions, but off the beaten path. (There's a KOA outside Devil's Tower and it's kick-a**, sitting there with a beer looking up at the Tower.) And, you get to sit around the campfire to top off your day.

Old 05-23-2011, 08:33 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

KOA always good value.
Be aware that the grounds are hammered due to heavy use, but always clean and pretty quiet at night...early risers departing may wake you earlier than you want.
But that helps if you like to get going by 9.

I think "KOA" is Commanche for "by the railroad tracks"....

Lava Hot Springs UT has amazing shower/ rest room facilities, owner must be in the stone and tile business.

I mostly use my tent but will Kabin with wife once in a while, especially if raining.

They can be priced close to budget motel, so you have to choose what fits your circumstance.

most have wifi, I use my ipod touch to check weather ahead and plan route ( mcdonalds and starbucks also good for wifi)

mike

Old 05-23-2011, 09:27 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the KOA website was pretty informative about all their locations and such. You can browse by state. We plan on staying at quite a few KOA's on our trip to Colorado and Utah next month.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:11 PM
mtclassic
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by moeman
Did a 6,600 mile trip from Illinois along Route 20 to west coast down to CA back along Rt. 66 last year. KOA cabins became the choice - 3 guys each have a bed - sleeping bag and leather made the linen so to speak. They have showers, laundry facilities, heat and a/c. Beware you have to be at the campground before they close the office to get into the cabin. Prices are different due to location and privately owned. They seem to be located along the interstates and tourist attractions, but off the beaten path. (There's a KOA outside Devil's Tower and it's kick-a**, sitting there with a beer looking up at the Tower.) And, you get to sit around the campfire to top off your day.
I have camped there 3X and is the coolest setting. the play the movie Close Encounters of the 3rd Kind every night.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:51 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Some state parks have cabins too. These picts are from a park in SD. If I remember correctly it was $30 or so in 2007.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:55 PM
BRKFLHX
Advanced
Default KOA's

We have had the opportunity to travel quite a bit throughout the years and have found that the KOA's are priced on the higher end. Being a chain brand, you will normally pay more when it comes to campgrounds. Try looking at TLDIRECTORY.COM, WOODALLS.COM or RVPARKREVIEWS.COM. They will list the camping facilities by city and state. They will also give a rating of the facility. Trust me when I say these ratings can be deceiving. Hope this helps a bit.

Quick Reply: Staying a KOA cabins