Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can synthetic oil create leaks?

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:18 PM
Quickie
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can synthetic oil create leaks?

I just bought an older 2001 Ultra. The bike has 70k and runs very well. I have always run synthetic oils in my other bikes from new. When I went to dealer to get supplies for a full service, they tried to talk me out of using synthetics in this bike because it is older with high miles and has only ever had Dino oils. When I asked why they told me that synthetics were much thinner and tend to create leaks in older bikes. I have heard about more noise with synthetics, but I have not heard about this tendency for leaks. Is this true? Would you have any concerns about switching over this late in the game. I just assumed by switching to synthetic would help prolong the life of this old beauty. As always I trust your opinions most of all. Thanks for any advice.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM
masterblaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 258 Likes on 100 Posts

No the dealer is exactly wrong, syn holds its viscosity throughout the heat range better than dino oil.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:24 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,592 Likes on 3,077 Posts

I have virtually the same bike with 89,000 "no drip miles." I run Mobil 1 20W-50 synthetic, ( on sale at Auto Zone this month for $7.49,) Mobil 1 75W-90 tranny gear oil, and any cheap 10w40 mineral oil in the primary.

The Honda riders at the office would just love to find a leak on the old man's bike, but they're still waiting.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:29 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

If you don't already have a leak, synthetic oil won't create one, that's an old rumor.

Old 05-28-2011, 04:31 PM
Gearhead3
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's been said that Dino oil tends to varnish more than synthetics. Sometimes this varnish tends to cover small imperfections that would normally weep a little oil. Synthetics usually have the ability to 'scrub' away this varnish after time and presto, you have a 'leak' that wasn't there before. So, did it create a leak or uncover a existing leak that was sealed by the varnish? Either way you now have oil seaping/dripping. I'd just run the synthetic and if any leaks appear, fix them and just ride the darned thing.

Last edited by Gearhead3; 05-28-2011 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-28-2011, 04:41 PM
Gustapo
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
It's been said that Dino oil tends to varnish more than synthetics. Sometimes this varnish tends to cover small imperfections that would normally weep a little oil. Synthetics usually have the ability to 'scrub' away this varnish after time and presto, you have a 'leak' that wasn't there before. So, did it create a leak or uncover a existing leak that was sealed by the varnish? Either way you now have oil seaping/dripping. I'd just run the synthetic and if any leaks appear, fix them and just ride the darned thing.

Exactly. Synthetics have more cleaning agents added to them, and therefore clean the sludge from the case. That sludge/varnish may be what is sealing a potential leak in a gasket, and once cleaned, now you have a leak...

X2 Geahead... Fix it and ride!

Old 05-28-2011, 04:51 PM
Dynamohm
Road Warrior
Received 734 Likes on 319 Posts

Originally Posted by Gearhead3
That is exactly correct I just attended a seminar put on by pennzoil at the car dealer I work at. They said the exact same thing, also if you change your oil and it still looks clean that particular oil has not done it's job. I f the oil looks dirty it has done what it is supposed to to. Clean your engine.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:17 PM
GAZRNR
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been running synthetic oil in my 09 since new & no leak issues. When I had 13K on my evo RK I switched to synthetic and in 500 miles my base gaskets were leaking. I pulled the jugs & replaced the gaskets & have run dino now for 20K and no leaks. Just my experience.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:50 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Changed my 01 over at 5000. 34000 later, no leaks. Bought it in 07 with 4000 on it and had only been run with dino at the time.

Old 05-28-2011, 07:40 PM
FlamedFXR
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,526 Likes on 651 Posts

Put Syn 3 in the FXR at 30,000 mi and got many "weep" spots at gaskets. Never had a leak or weep with dino. Took that crap out and no more weeps, leaks, or wet spots.

Quick Reply: Can synthetic oil create leaks?