Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD vs. Kuryakyn LED Lights - Why the Big $$ Difference?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2011, 02:09 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HD vs. Kuryakyn LED Lights - Why the Big $$ Difference?

I've been looking at different alternatives for converting my headlamp and passing lamps over to LED on my '10 EG Classic and was looking at both the HD and Kuryakyn lights. Both seem similar, but Kuryakyn's lights are significantly lower in price than the HD lights to convert all 3 lamps. Are the HD lights that much better or is it just the MoCo price factor coming into play here again? The HD lights do look pretty much plug n play, not sure if the Kuryakyn alternative would be the same, wasn't able to look at their install instructions....but damn, that's a big money difference!

Also, I am currently running with the LED King Tour-Pak Brake/Turn/Tail Lamp Kit (67392-11) and the Auxiliary Brake Light /Running Light/Turn Signal Conversion Kit (69461-06C) with stock bulbs. These two work together great and really help make the back of the bike more visible. If I do convert the front lights to LED with either the HD or Kuryakyn lights, will I also need to add some sort of load equalization?

I'm techno-impared so any help would be appreciated!

Old 07-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Homebrew101
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

there is an entire thread here by bogiedriver comparing these two, the Kury (actually made by Truck Lite)is also plug & play and was determined to be brighter in daylight, about the only knock on the TL if it is a knock is that it protrudes farther in front and some are masking that with trim pieces

Old 07-22-2011, 11:04 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master

Originally Posted by Homebrew101
there is an entire thread here by bogiedriver comparing these two, the Kury (actually made by Truck Lite)is also plug & play and was determined to be brighter in daylight, about the only knock on the TL if it is a knock is that it protrudes farther in front and some are masking that with trim pieces
Thanks, I'll try and find that thread.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:09 AM
JonW
Road Warrior
Received 348 Likes on 157 Posts

Go to customdynamics.com and check out their LEDs:

http://www.customdynamics.com/harley...gnal_retro.htm

I put them in my SG and am very impressed with them, and at much less cost then Kury or HD. The Genesis II lights in the front are awesome, very bright. Custom Dynamics also has plug-n-play load equalizers. Couldn't be easier, less cost, great results.

Old 07-22-2011, 11:19 AM
Black Limited
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I drive in the day with the high beem on only. It aims higher and in the bright daylight it can be seen better. I want to do the wiring so that the passing lamps stay on all the time but the dealer says that will void warranty. I'm not real happy with the lights in the day for others to see me. At night, they are excellent!

Old 07-22-2011, 11:36 AM
Daddio
Tourer

The HD is more because it is branded "HD".
The HD headlight is glass. The Kury headlight is plastic. The passing lamps are plastic for both types. They are both plug N' play...no further mods/accessories needed to make them work.

I have the Kury 3 light set. I think they are definately more ugly from outward appearance sake, but they do the job they are supposed to do very well. The 3 light Kury set is less than half the price of the HD set and they come with a better warranty than HD gives.
I guess it amounts to ones own personal preferance and the cost factor.

Either way, these LED lights make a world of diff compared to older style halogens. No doubt about it.
... just my own 2cents worth

search for that thread/writeup...it will give you tons of info

http://www.lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf

Last edited by Daddio; 07-22-2011 at 11:40 AM. Reason: add link
Old 07-22-2011, 11:55 AM
joflewbyu2
Road Master

I have had both - the TL 7" and the HD 7" both with their passing lamps too. The HD is flat out better. I had a 5 3/4" HD LED light on my FXDC and decided to go with the TL 7" on my FLHTP with their passing lamps. Big mistake !! Real world reality is that effective lighting is not as good as the HD. I said effective meaning actual useful light output to the area. The TL is brighter but uses the oldest technology of a reflective lens which absorbs the light output. Most newer halogen lights use reflective reflector optics and a clear lens which is better allows more light to pass. Better yet is projector style which is the most efficient allowing most light output. I sold the TL and spent the extra amount and never regretted it. Light fitment is perfect which the TL headlight and passing lamps were not. The TL headlamp stuck out and was a flat unattractive huge eyesore. The TL passing lamps did not fit correctly but with a lot of fuss are able to barely hold in. Bought the HD black LED headlamp and passing lamps. If you shop you are able to get 20% off and free shipping. I was extra nice to my local dealer and they matched the 20% off.

Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM
TRoper
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, Have been reading this thread and figured I would find what I needed. Great thread only I am dumb enough not to be able to figure it out. I have searched a number of times for the thread on converting the Tour Pak lights, break lights and turn signals to all work together in a LED format. I have not been able to find it. I have read that Kuraykan can be a better, brighter, choice than HD. Could one of you please outline what I need to do and what parts I will need? As in Lighting 101 for Dummies (me). I think I am going with Kuryakan part number 8666, so it will need to work with that.
Thanks

Old 04-19-2012, 01:26 PM
bogiediver
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Saw this by happenstance today...

This link is no longer valid: lrsanitary.com/0/leds_update.pdf

All three reviews comparing HD and Truck-Lite (Kury) forward lighting LED offering are available at
www.bogiesreviews.webs.com