Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rattle

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 10:59 AM
swomack
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rattle

The right rear muffler bracket has a bar that slides thru a rubber mount on the bag bar. This rubber mount does not fit as snug as the left side. The bike recently developed a rattle that I have tracked to the slip-on due to it vibrating up and down in this loose mount. Is this normal for these things to loosen up (2900 miles) and is their a better fix than MOCO parts? TIA

Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM
bountyhunter
Banned
Default RE: Rattle

?

Old 11-10-2006, 11:31 AM
ILSRWY6
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You may want to double check the clamp that attaches the slip muffler to the exhaust pipe. I had a similiar problem, and I found that I could actually slide the muffler forward and backward with a little force. Tighten the muffler clamp and all is well.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:37 AM
bountyhunter
Banned

Wonder how the bracket can possibly be the source of the rattle, if both bolts are tight....the mounting plate floats in a rubber mount? There has to ba a clamp somewhere that is the rattling culprit!

Old 11-10-2006, 11:46 AM
Mr Wonderful
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Yup, clamp loose or heatshield is rattling. Those muffler clamps DO wear out and some are just not very good from the beginning. That rubber mount can squeal on occasion....'bout drove me nuts until I lubricated it.

Old 11-10-2006, 11:49 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 64 Posts

My Road Glide use to have a rattle in that area.I traced to the hard bags.They would rattle at the bottom rubber bag mounts and bar.What I did to correct this was to loosen the quick release bag mounts and apply downward pressure on the bag then tighten the quick releases.

Old 11-10-2006, 12:51 PM
swomack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: bountyhunter

Wonder how the bracket can possibly be the source of the rattle, if both bolts are tight....the mounting plate floats in a rubber mount? There has to ba a clamp somewhere that is the rattling culprit!

The bracket does not rattle. The rubber fits around the bar so loose it allows for movement lets the slip-on rattle. the other side is snug and can't be moved this side has at least a 1/16" all the way around the bar like it worn out. I can hold the slip-on with my hand and the rattle stops. The rattle is the baffle in the pipe and it fits real snug at least when its warm or cold and pretty snug when its hot. I loosened and re-tightened that POS clamp and I'm not so sure the bolt won't snap in half from the wrenching I gave it.

Old 11-10-2006, 02:03 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Ohh.. Bountyhunter owns a red dodge truck!

Tim

Old 11-10-2006, 02:07 PM
swomack
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Cowracer

Ohh.. Bountyhunter owns a red dodge truck!

Tim
Appears to have one of those "clean" garages too

Old 11-10-2006, 02:19 PM
onephsyco1
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I know on my bike , It squeaked from that rubber !
They were worn , But my bike is A 1992 !
I bought 2 . And no squeaks now !

Jack

Quick Reply: Rattle