Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Belt Dressing????

Old 07-24-2011, 07:38 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 215 Posts
Default Belt Dressing????

I have been researching my chirping issue, and exhausted all of the suggestions given. I bought new rubber exhaust mounting straps, sprayed them with silicone, checked all of my bolts, sprayed silicone on just about everything that can make a noise, Pulled my SE slip-ons off, checked the baffles, checked the pipe heat shields, all exhaust mounts, checked my belt tension, and nothing seems to get rid of it. ( my chirp is only present between 2000-3000 RPM's either in neutral and revving or going down the road, accelerating or decelerating)

I read on another post that Harley has a product called poly oil for the drive belts. Can I just spray some automotive belt dressing on my drive belt? will it harm anything? or should I just go buy some of the poly oil?

Old 07-24-2011, 08:56 PM
bagger76
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will have a mess with any belt dressing.Trust me you wont be happy when you see what it does to paint.

The following users liked this post:
WVHARLEEMANN (08-10-2022)
Old 07-24-2011, 09:02 PM
K Melancon
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 92 Posts

A long time ago we would put one (1) drop of engine oil on the squeking belt and it would stop

Old 07-24-2011, 09:05 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Have moved the rear wheel lately it? The belt maybe a little to tight!! Just my .02 worth!!

Old 07-24-2011, 09:12 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by hockey8787
Have moved the rear wheel lately it? The belt maybe a little to tight!! Just my .02 worth!!
nope, have not, I have the HD tension tool, and I'm right with in specs. Kinda at a loss. figured maybe the chirp is from the belt. I will try thr HD Poly oil (made for our belts) and see if it gets rid of it.

Just thought I could try something I have at the house, but I don't want to risk ruining something.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
nope, have not, I have the HD tension tool, and I'm right with in specs. Kinda at a loss. figured maybe the chirp is from the belt. I will try thr HD Poly oil (made for our belts) and see if it gets rid of it.

Just thought I could try something I have at the house, but I don't want to risk ruining something.
I've experienced the same thing and my father-in-law showed me a trick that's works better that oil when diagnosing a belt squeak because it doesn’t sling oil everywhere. Get some baby power and "puff" some on the teeth of the belt all the way around the inside diameter of the belt. If the squeak goes away then it's your belt making the noise.

The following 2 users liked this post by Beach Bagger:
16Slim (06-24-2019), WVHARLEEMANN (08-10-2022)
Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Pulley can squeak when worn. There's no fix.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:26 PM
Beach Bagger
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by steelerdude1
I have been researching my chirping issue, and exhausted all of the suggestions given. I bought new rubber exhaust mounting straps, sprayed them with silicone, checked all of my bolts, sprayed silicone on just about everything that can make a noise, Pulled my SE slip-ons off, checked the baffles, checked the pipe heat shields, all exhaust mounts, checked my belt tension, and nothing seems to get rid of it. ( my chirp is only present between 2000-3000 RPM's either in neutral and revving or going down the road, accelerating or decelerating)

I read on another post that Harley has a product called poly oil for the drive belts. Can I just spray some automotive belt dressing on my drive belt? will it harm anything? or should I just go buy some of the poly oil?
The HD Poly Oil of made for the engine compensator sproket inside the primary. I wouldn't put that on you drive belt.

Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 PM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 306 Likes on 178 Posts

Since it squeaks in neutral while revving the motor it is not the belt. Have you adjusted the clutch recently?
Get a stethoscope and locate the noise.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:10 PM
steelerdude1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by piasspj
Since it squeaks in neutral while revving the motor it is not the belt. Have you adjusted the clutch recently?
Get a stethoscope and locate the noise.
Yes, Just adjusted a few days ago, per the service manual instructions, didn't help. I didn't give the belt much thought since it does it when not moving, but I'm drawing straws here trying to find the source of my chirp.

couple of other things I tried was removing the tour pak, seat, bags, license plate, taillight, and signals, still chirps (all off at the same time)

Last edited by steelerdude1; 07-24-2011 at 10:14 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Belt Dressing????