Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

inner primary bearing removal tool - recommendations?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 09:48 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Like HarleyCharlie says, no tool necessary to remove/install the bearing. Remove the snap ring and use a large socket or piece of PVC pipe the same OD as the bearing. Tap with a hammer and it will pop right out and back in with a little oil in the bearing boss.

Watch where you orient the snap ring when replacing so you don't block the hole for lubrication.

You should replace every seal in there while you are there; mainshaft seal and spacer, quad seal, mainshaft/5th gear seal, jackshaft seal and jackshaft thrust washer w/seal.

You will need a tool to hold the trans sprocket to R/R the inner race, or, you can remove the top cover from the trans and put the trans it two gears at once.

Last edited by djl; 08-03-2011 at 12:20 PM.
Old 08-03-2011, 12:18 PM
harleycharlie1992
Unofficial HDF Chaplain
Received 14,647 Likes on 4,633 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
I bought an 80 dollar tool that will take care of the race. the bearing is the only tool need right now. I've removed bearings and installed them in the past using the hack cut method and the wack method , but since the inner primary has a failure rate of about 15K, a tool might be a good way to go. but it sounds like everyone is just wacking it out, then freezing the new bearing and heating up the primary case.
don't really need to even do that, I just put anti sieze on brg and primary, the brg goes right in, freezing the brg won't hurt, but I don't do it and have no problems

Old 08-03-2011, 02:13 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
Like HarleyCharlie says, no tool necessary to remove/install the bearing. Remove the snap ring and use a large socket or piece of PVC pipe the same OD as the bearing. Tap with a hammer and it will pop right out and back in with a little oil in the bearing boss.

Watch where you orient the snap ring when replacing so you don't block the hole for lubrication.

You should replace every seal in there while you are there; mainshaft seal and spacer, quad seal, mainshaft/5th gear seal, jackshaft seal and jackshaft thrust washer w/seal.

You will need a tool to hold the trans sprocket to R/R the inner race, or, you can remove the top cover from the trans and put the trans it two gears at once.
crap...I thought I was ready...now I need to decode all these seals and understand this business about removing the trans top cover.

Old 08-03-2011, 04:49 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,033 Likes on 1,501 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
crap...I thought I was ready...now I need to decode all these seals and understand this business about removing the trans top cover.
If you don't have the parts manual, open the link, find your year and model and find the parts you need. IMHO, a parts manual is just as important as the service manual if one plans on working on ones bike.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

Don't forget the deep socket and "donut" you will need to R/R the trans pulley nut. If you have a 1/2" drive air wrench, that will usually break it loose but you will need a torque wrench to tighten.

Last edited by djl; 08-03-2011 at 04:51 PM.
Old 08-07-2011, 12:34 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by djl
If you don't have the parts manual, open the link, find your year and model and find the parts you need. IMHO, a parts manual is just as important as the service manual if one plans on working on ones bike.

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche....artsfinder.htm

Don't forget the deep socket and "donut" you will need to R/R the trans pulley nut. If you have a 1/2" drive air wrench, that will usually break it loose but you will need a torque wrench to tighten.
great link.....thanks