Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 TC88 Cam Plate Upgrade/Cam Swap Wrap/Up

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2011, 07:04 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2002 TC88 Cam Plate Upgrade/Cam Swap Wrap/Up

• Adjustable Pushrod install/adjust
  • I purchased the Fuelmoto adjustable pushrods which I believe are Smith Bros. pushrods.
  • The procedure for the pushrods were pretty good, except I followed the specific adjustment (how many turns/flats) according to the wood cam procedure which equaled a .140 lift. (I confirmed this with Fuelmoto for my bike/setup)
  • The adjustment is made on the pushrods by observing the opposite lifter position. Just like when cutting the pushrods out, we want the opposite lifters to be on the cam lobes, which means the pushrods we adjust are on the base side of the cam.
  • Time must be given after each pushrod is adjusted to allow for bleed down of the lifter – at least 15 minutes.
  • When installing/adjusting the rods, the pushrod kit has a tool that holds the tube up out of the way. I rolled the oring over the outside of the tube while I had the specialty tool holding up the tube so I would not damage the oring.
  • To get the specialty tube holder in place, I actually had to use a large flat pry bar, get it under the bottom tube edge, fit the pry bar end between the motor cylinder fins, and lift the tube to get it high enough to fit the tube holder in place. Can put a rag on the end of the pry bar so you don't damage/scratch the cylinder head fins
  • I will not go over the install and adjustment of pushrods because I am only familiar with the Fuelmoto ones and they come with sufficient instructions. It was fairly simple once you get the first one done.
  • When done, leave the plugs out, seal everything else back up, rotate the engine on stand to confirm every thing is still good and to circulate the oil a little. Then insert plugs and new MAP.
  • MAP INSTALLED –PLUGS IN – PIPES ON – OIL TOPPED OFF – BIKE STARTED AND IDLED GREAT!!!!
  • Ready to change oil/filter and RIDE. I will consider 1000 miles a "break in" and ride accordingly and change oil and filter again. ( I don't care what the general wisdom is on that)
INTRO and all Steps:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ams-intro.html

Really hope this helps you guys out.......

Thank you Atrain68, J&P and Fuelmoto!!!!!!

Last edited by mrmud4x4; 08-17-2011 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-17-2011, 09:44 AM
Pumba11
Elite HDF Member
Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Sounds like you a successful install. I just had it done by my indy this spring. I didn't have the guts to do it myself. I applaud you!

Old 08-17-2011, 07:38 PM
Jeepin_Lawyer
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Incredible and inspiring write up!!!!!! Many thanks for sharing! So how does it run with the new cams?

Old 08-18-2011, 06:23 AM
mrmud4x4
Road Captain
Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeepin_Lawyer
Incredible and inspiring write up!!!!!! Many thanks for sharing! So how does it run with the new cams?
Taking her for a spin this evening.....been using my son-in-laws garage so we could do some repairs to his kawasaki also. This evening is clean up and ride time.

Will keep you posted....

Old 10-17-2011, 07:20 PM
fishbust
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

mrmud....

Thanks for taking all the extra time to record and post this thread.
I read all of it.

I do have a question I have not read or heard answered though? What is different about the 'upgraded' cam plate compared to the old one? And the chain tensioners? Do the new ones not wear out around 25,000 miles?