Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks shooter neede a pick me up. Bike is not making any noise at all. I am not ready to say i need a new engine so soon b4 diagnostic just looking for feed back, good or bad good is always better but I live in the real worl and relize it could be more

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM
tombeving
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

+1 what Shooter said. I had the same problem with an 05 Ultra I had. 37000 miles and the oil pump quit. Cam chain tensioners were worn pretty bad and minute pieces of plastic scored the walls of the oil pump. I did the work myself, but it still cost me $429.00 for the SE cam plate kit with the high flow oil pump, $166.00 for adjustable push rods, and $170.00 for the inner cam bearing tool. (while you have everything apart,you should replace the cam bearings) also your going the need to buy aligning pins for the oil pump. It's not that hard if you take your time

Old 08-21-2011, 05:13 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by jgwoz
thanks shooter neede a pick me up. Bike is not making any noise at all. I am not ready to say i need a new engine so soon b4 diagnostic just looking for feed back, good or bad good is always better but I live in the real worl and relize it could be more
Replace the pump, and you should be OK....

DO NOT FIRE IT UP ANY MORE UNTIL THE PUMP IS REPLACED. And +1 on what tombeving said.

Last edited by shooter5074; 08-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.
Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

You'll probably want to pull the engine completely and split the cases to make sure nothing is in the crank case housing. When you do this, you might as well do a crank bearing upgrade, true the crank and plug and weld it and you might even want to add a stroker set up. If youre really lucky, it wont look too bad when you open up the cam chest and you can just replace what needs it in the cam chest but if your cam bearing journals are trashed and your lifter bores are trashed, you cant even use the cases.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:14 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,537 Likes on 3,054 Posts

Before you tear into it, unscrew the oil pressure sensor out of the front of the bike. ( It's behind the front exhaust pipe.)

Pull your spark plugs, then crank the motor. If you get a stream of oil coming out of the sensor hole, your pump is still working. If not, the cam cover will have to come off.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser

thanks shooter needed a pick me up getting headache with bad news, i hope all it is the oil pump, but i do live in the real world and relize it could be worse, i will have to get it looked at untill then i will hope for the best. Like I said there was no noise at all no loud bangs or screaches knocking

Old 08-21-2011, 05:19 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 3,931 Likes on 2,288 Posts

Just take it a step at a time. Pull the cam chest cover and see what the damage is. It is quite probable it is the cam chains shoes that broke up...what the extent of the damage is impossible to know without opening her up.

Here's hoping it's relatively minor.

Kevin

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
Before you tear into it, unscrew the oil pressure sensor out of the front of the bike. ( It's behind the front exhaust pipe.)

Pull your spark plugs, then crank the motor. If you get a stream of oil coming out of the sensor hole, your pump is still working. If not, the cam cover will have to come off.

This is a very good point...... try this first.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:22 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser

thanks stiggy will give it a try weather is iffy here today so i will have to as i do not have a garge or at least usable right at the moment need to do some major trash removal

Old 08-21-2011, 05:35 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Didn't say 25psi caused the failure, I said that is what happened when the tensioners failed , the point was it didn't run long after the tensioners took out the pump ,and that is what it did to the motor.

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Your low (25 psi would not cause that failure) oil pressure was probably a symptom and not the cause.

A lot of techs will fire up an engine when they do an oil change to pump out more oil after the drain. No damage.

Again 25 psi would NOT cause that failure.

Quick Reply: Oil pump failure??