Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:58 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Oil pump failure??

I was on a great ride in Newhampshire when I heard or more or less felt what I thought was a little pop, same time I noticed that i had no oil pressure and light came on. I immediately hit the kill switch, let bike cool down checked oil level, had plenty. Re start for a second no knocking or horrible sounds at all but still no pressure and lite still on. I called my brother inlaw who thankfully drove the 2 hrs each way to trailer me home. However on the up side where we broke down this lady who has no idea of what we are like took us into her home and made us comfortable for the awaiting of our trailer ride home.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what this is, if indeed the oil pump. I was going to order a oil pressure gauge and start there. I looked at the service manual and I am not to sure if a novice can handle this job or not, I have only done brakes and oils so far. Any help would be great in info or possible helping hand so I can learn how to do this repair.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Yeah I would guess it is the oil pump,not an easy job to do ,but you can do anything if you have to, the problem is what else did it get, cam bearings ,cams, lifter bores, crank bearings.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:24 PM
Neil
Road Captain
Received 61 Likes on 40 Posts

Can you provide some more info on the bike? Year, model, miles, mods etc... If it is the pump you will need to tear the cam chest apart. Most likely the pump and cam plate will need to be replaced. The big question, if it is the oil pump, is why did it fail?

Neil
RDMC

Old 08-21-2011, 04:28 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser

bike is an 06 ultral classic I have only had a stage one kit installed no cams or other mods at all. Bike not making any horrible noises at all

Old 08-21-2011, 04:31 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser

forgot bike only has 41000 just changed oil begining of aug added a little bit of lucas syn oil treatement nothing else. redline motor oil

Old 08-21-2011, 04:35 PM
1931jamesw
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Cam chain tensioners are probably fried and then everything went downhill fom there.

Old 08-21-2011, 04:48 PM
jgwoz
Cruiser

from what i am hearing for feedback sounds like i have to redo complete lower job. not sounding good

Old 08-21-2011, 04:52 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Don't listen to these people, with all their doom and gloom..... it sounds like you got her shut down right away. So damage should be isolated to the pump.

Your lifters will start clattering long before any damage is done to the engine. Trust me.... dry lifters make a very horrible noise.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:02 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

Tensioners went on the bike I have now, ran for 30 seconds when I noticed the oil pressure was low (25PSI) I now have a new engine, because it took the oil pump ,cam bearings, crank bearings,and lifter bores.
Doom ,and gloom maybe , but my check book says reality.

Originally Posted by shooter5074
Don't listen to these people, with all their doom and gloom..... it sounds like you got her shut down right away. So damage should be isolated to the pump.

Your lifters will start clattering long before any damage is done to the engine. Trust me.... dry lifters make a very horrible noise.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:07 PM
shooter5074
Outstanding HDF Member
Location: Western Illinois, land of bad roads, and corrupt politicians
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Bill03E
Tensioners went on the bike I have now, ran for 30 seconds when I noticed the oil pressure was low (25PSI) I now have a new engine, because it took the oil pump ,cam bearings, crank bearings,and lifter bores.
Doom ,and gloom maybe , but my check book says reality.

Your low (25 psi would not cause that failure) oil pressure was probably a symptom and not the cause.

A lot of techs will fire up an engine when they do an oil change to pump out more oil after the drain. No damage.

Again 25 psi would NOT cause that failure.

Quick Reply: Oil pump failure??