Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil pump failure??

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 09:40 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how do we test an oil pump? disconnect spark plug.....pull oil filter....crank engine...see if oil squrits all over the place???? maybe the problem is a sending unit????

Old 08-22-2011, 06:44 AM
sgdiesel
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a hydraulic perspective this is interesting. The fact that it happened quickly (suddenly) without apparent degradation of oil pressure over time is something to be optimistic about.

Engine and / or pump wear leads to increased clearances between moving parts. Remember a pump does not deliver "pressure", it delivers flow. Pressure builds up as a result to resistance to flow. With engine were this takes place over years so you see a slow degradation with time. You also see more dramatic temperature related pressure swings as viscosity changes.

In essence, my initial instinct is an internal catostrophic (immediate) mechanical failure in the pump. Your response was perfect and should go a long way to limiting the damage

Good luck

Old 08-22-2011, 06:55 AM
geezer glide 56
Road Warrior
Received 101 Likes on 37 Posts

If your lifters are not raising hell and clattering...Your oil pump is pumping oil...The lifters will let you know when you lose oil pressure...With the mileage that you have on the bike...I would definitely have the tensioners checked.

Old 08-22-2011, 08:22 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

first thing I would do is put a oil pressure gauge on it to see if I really has no oil pressure...the bike might be fine, just a bad sending unit or broken wire...the pop you heard may just have been you running something over or even a fuse going bad....

Old 08-22-2011, 10:15 AM
VA_Grumpy_Biker
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Had a high performance oil pump that went bad. When it went, it split the pump impeller, lock the impeller gear against the pump gear. the crank was spinning inside the impeller gear - NO NOISE - no oil pressure, oil light on. Luckly didn't do any damage to the engine other than scar up the crank shaft where the oil pump gear mounts. Tooks some sand paper / emery cloth and smoothed that out and put the stock oil pump back on. No problems so far.

Old 08-22-2011, 10:47 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

If it does turn out to be an oil pump, when you get it apart see if it is all torn up. If so, you MUST do a run-out check of the crankshaft. You will need a dial indicator and a way to mount it, then you will need a way to spin the crank to see how much run-out you have (wobble of the shaft). If it is more than a few thousands, then the flywheels may have "scissored", or became misaligned, which tore up the oil pump. If this is the case, then splitting the cases is the only alternative, and remove the flywheels assembly and get them repaired. Make sure you replace the crankshaft bearings at the same time.

A friend of mine just did this to an '03 Heritage.

Old 04-15-2017, 12:40 AM
Thomas Crowe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Listen to Shooters. Be sides that it is kinda rare for a oil pump to just **** out on you. RIP it apart and look . Gears rod 2 keys not much to break. I always run my bike when I change my oil. Never no problems. But then I only been riding Harleys since 1978. And in that short time not once have I ever known anyone who's pump went out. Yes I did say 1978 little b4 Harleys were cool and yuppies and wannabes rode Hondas then got a Harley t-shirt and leather jackets and became a biker. 1%NFG.

Old 04-15-2017, 04:50 AM
target64
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Thomas Crowe
Listen to Shooters. Be sides that it is kinda rare for a oil pump to just **** out on you. RIP it apart and look . Gears rod 2 keys not much to break. I always run my bike when I change my oil. Never no problems. But then I only been riding Harleys since 1978. And in that short time not once have I ever known anyone who's pump went out. Yes I did say 1978 little b4 Harleys were cool and yuppies and wannabes rode Hondas then got a Harley t-shirt and leather jackets and became a biker. 1%NFG.
this thread is 6 years old for sure the motor is repaired by now!

Old 04-15-2017, 06:11 AM
Tn.Heritage
Grand HDF Member
Received 183 Likes on 131 Posts

Originally Posted by target64
this thread is 6 years old for sure the motor is repaired by now!
Dang, thats what I was thinking. LOL

Old 04-15-2017, 05:46 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 136 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by 1931jamesw
cam chain tensioners are probably fried and then everything went downhill fom there.
=====================

ditto!

Quick Reply: Oil pump failure??