Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

XIED OR TUNER ? again

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 09:46 PM
livindadream
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XIED OR TUNER ? again

I have read alot of threads about both of these options, but what is not clear to me is the power increase between a tuner or xieds. i have a 2011 road glide custom 103 with kerker stout 4" slip ons and plan on a a/c upgrade. Thats it im not going to do cams or other performance mods. I still have the stock head pipe with the cat, i like the sound i have now and the heat does no bother me like others, so i plan on keeping it as is. So what power increase if any would i get from going with a tuner or would xieds to the job for a simple stage 1 setup?

Old 09-08-2011, 10:44 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 393 Likes on 335 Posts

xieds just make the mixture a little richer--- under most operating situations, cruising at steady speeds etc.

tuners offer all kinds of options ( they advertise) and maybe are super-awesome.

i use xieds- there are posts everyday from guys having tuner problems---AND the xieds just plug in, if you have to go in for a warranty claim, you just unplug them. A tuner in place may violate the warranty.

I doubt that you slip ons would do much for power increase alone.

the popular "stage 1" is about allowing more flow in and out of the motor, with these restrictions removed expect gain of 7 to 10 horsepower--- it is the least expensive gain you'll ever see.

part of the restriction to flow is the cat- with it in place, it is doubtful that you would get benefit from air cleaner, tuner/xieds or slip ons.

mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-09-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-08-2011, 11:41 PM
Lonewolf176
Road Warrior
Received 267 Likes on 166 Posts

Here's a 2011 RG, slip ons, SE Ventilator, TTS. Still has the cat. This is only showing the difference at wot. The bike was smoother, with more throttle response where you actually ride the bike. You have so much control with a good tuning device.

Attached Thumbnails XIED OR TUNER ? again-2011-103-rg.jpg  
Old 09-09-2011, 12:11 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Both the Xieds and the tuner give you more power by increasing the air/fuel mixture (AFR). Stock is set at about 14.7. That is very lean and gives poor performance and makes the bike run hot.

The Xied's are set at about 13.8 and give you a very noticeable increase in performance. For what you want, that is all you need. The Xieds are resistors with a connector at both ends, it changes the signal to the ECM and makes the ECM think it needs to adjust the AFR to keep it at 14.7 but in reality it is changing it to 13.8. It is not programming anything, it is just slight of hand for the ECM.

The tuner has a lot more options, some like the TTS actually reprogram the ECM, others like the PCV just change the signal the same as the Xieds, either way with a tuner you can do more than just change the AFR, but they cost a lot more and if you don't need those options then save your money and get the Xieds.

Old 09-09-2011, 12:05 PM
FenderGuy53
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My goal is the same as yours: to add slip-on mufflers and a Stage I air kit. Since I, too, plan no further performance upgrades, I'm going with the Nightrider XiED kit for fuel management. The XiED kit will enrich the fuel supply enough to accommodate the increased air intake.

Regarding performance, it has been proven that noteworthy HP/torgue gains can be achieved by adding slip-on's, air kit and fuel management. Furthermore, all other things being equal, the difference in those gains, between cat-equipped Tourers and cat-free Tourers, is negligible.

Go for it!

Old 09-09-2011, 04:31 PM
dnitram
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up XIED's - FL-VIED-10's - V&H Fuelpak LCD 61019

Just went down that road myself. Tried the XIED's, but wanted something more. Nightrider's website says the XIED's work well with the V&H Fuelpak, BUT found out NOT for 2011 bikes and up, 'cause the new Fuelpak LCD does not use o2 sensors (XIED's do). Got a MAP/cell adjustment from V&H Fuelpak tech Javi and couldn't be more pleased!! I (ME) can make the adjustments I want, not a $$$$$ dyno and a $$$$$ tuner. Not planning any internal engine work (If you are, go with SERT, TSS, Fuel Moto etc.). The V&H Fuelpak gets a bad rap on the forum sometimes, but IMHO I couldn't be happier! My 2011 RKC runs like a scalded dog!

Here you go:

Unit on the left is the new one for 2011 and up bikes:
http://www.fuelpakfi.com/vtwin/lcdportal.html

And to get your basic set-up (they'll do a personalized set-up for your tastes for FREE):

http://www.fuelpakfi.com/fplookup_lcd_revb.php

Old 09-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Jerry1834
Road Warrior
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Just installed Xieds in my 2011 RKC...did the stage one thing a while back. These little plug and play buggers really work. Almost felt like I had a 350 under the seat. No lag time at all. Been the tuner route but these seem to work well.

Don't have enough milage on them yet but I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:21 PM
nvsteve
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 72 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by Jerry1834
Just installed Xieds in my 2011 RKC...did the stage one thing a while back. These little plug and play buggers really work. Almost felt like I had a 350 under the seat. No lag time at all. Been the tuner route but these seem to work well.

Don't have enough milage on them yet but I'll keep you posted.
Please let us know after riding in varying conditions over a period of time.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:33 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a fuel pak. It seems to work well once you know what each value represents and you adjust accordingly. I have a tuner for my mustang and it's great but the fuel pak is simple and easy. Anyone know how to raise the rev limit.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:35 PM
Matt0987
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I am gutting my cat next week on my 2011 103" RKC to cut down the heat and to help the bike breath easier. (Actually, I picked up a 103" exhaust system w/ only 400 miles on it off a '10 RG, headers through slip ons, off EBay for 150 bucks, shipped. I will be doing the changes to it and installing it to my bike.)

I have been wondering the same thing. XieD vs tuners. In particular the PCV. I, too, plan no further engine work. Just an AC and catless stock pipes. Maybe slipons at some future date. Until then... stock slipons.

I may be wrong, and some may agree with me about this, but, I just see no need for having the cat and a restrictive AC choking the engine.

So, this thread is of interest to me.

Are there other settings from a tuner that you need, will be helpful, beyond what a XeiD provides on a bike with only a Stage 1?

If I can adjust the bike with the XieD, and I expect that once done it will stay that way, I can not see the need for a tuner.

So, my .02 cents so I can be in on this tread.

Last edited by Matt0987; 09-09-2011 at 06:40 PM.

Quick Reply: XIED OR TUNER ? again