Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1994 flh frame differences and upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 12:10 AM
irish362
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1994 flh frame differences and upgrades

i have 1994 electra glide and wish to re vamp it . does any one know what the major differenes between a 94 frame to a 96 and later frames is. also id like to do a 180mm tire kit on the rear .the engine is a 114 motor waiting for a home . im not just sure what parts i can up grade to because theres not as much out there for 94 models vs. like a 96/97 flh. ideas are streched tank and upgraded fairing which i know i can find on ebay and am willing to do the wiring . the gas tank and wide tire kit seem to be more trouble .

Old 09-20-2011, 01:31 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

I had a 1995- I think the major frame diff in '96 was raised clearance over the rear head.
for the 114, if that's stroked you'll wanna check the height of the cylinders from the motor mount

if you were to get a '96 parts book, you could look at the "rear fork" as Harley called it and see if the part number had changed in 1996....and some of the other bits

most H-D part numbers end with a dash and 2 numerals which denote the year a part was introduced, then any letter A,B,C etc. denotes revisions to that part.

the fairing is pretty much the same profile on the outside, you know the dash has a different layout...not worth the bother I think--- It'd be nice to have 3 windscreen screws instead of 5 though--- mine was always a PIA to line up, with those body clips in the front trim.

rear tire? convert to chain drive and you pick up about 3/4" with the stock swingarm

Welcome to the forums, most of the Guys on this board are riding Twin Cams, there is an Evo Board where you might get some good tips.

Mike

Old 09-20-2011, 03:19 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts

Welcome to HDF from the UK.

Earlier Evos like my 1990 had a shorter swingarm and shorter drive belt, which were replaced mid-term around the time your bike was made, but the main change was the relocation of the battery to under the seat. On mine it is beside the frame and takes a bite out of the right-side saddle bag. So if you have the same size saddlebags both sides the frame remained pretty well the same for many years.

I have a 2007 swingarm and wheel, plus later spec narrow belt in my bike, with a 150 tyre. You won't get a 180 into the rear fender, so you will need to change that. I don't know of anyone who has done it. Even with a narrow belt I don't see that there is room for a 180 tyre, so I think you will also need some serious work to do that.

I have a Deuce rear wheel on the way to me and plan squeezing a 160 tyre in, which is about as wide as is likely to fit without too much effort, but again I don't know of anyone who has done it.

Sometimes we just have to get out there and see if we can make our plans work!

Old 09-20-2011, 10:25 AM
Peculierboy
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The frame change in 96 affected the gas tank seat mounts. The 94 mounts like the new tanks do (08+). 96 to 07 seats/tanks will not fit, or at least not without some modifications. Exhaust and most other things will still swap out, you can use the new-er style detachable's as well (well, not the 09+ anyway).

I *believe* you have the newer style swingarm already as your battery is under the seat, and you may have some luck contacting the makers of wide tire kits to see if you can still get a kit.

I had a 94 RK, so some of this is from memory, but at the time, my brother had a 97, so we found out first hand what fit and what didn't'.

Old 09-20-2011, 11:19 PM
irish362
4th Gear

hay thaks guy im still a litle new to this forum and going to have to do a lot of research still . by chance does any one know what it would take to convert to a chain drive i still like those better and with the motor size and hp feel a chain is the ticket. also that should help out with the tire conversin to a 180 or so it appears that the belt drive takes up about a inch or so of uasble space .

Old 09-21-2011, 02:29 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

conversion kits are available, this is also a good time to think about sprocket ratios--- of course if you want to change the rear sprocket if the gearing isn't what you want,it's pretty easy.

chain guard would be good too, just is case the masterlink went at the wrong time

with a big motor in there ( or even a potent 80") you can break the primary cases--- carlini made the "torque arm" which is a billet brace goes on the right side and attaches the cone on the motor to the tranny case.
a version owas made for screaming eagle which they sold as the "race brace"

I had them on 2 of my evos, piece of mind for the primary, and improved handling and dampened vibrations.

The were available in offsets for big motors etc

mike

Old 09-22-2011, 11:44 PM
irish362
4th Gear

somthing i have been thinking about what about tranny cases are they tough enough to handel a 114 motor . the motor is rated at 124 rwhp. when i had my shovel i blew a case which unleashed my primary belt to the back side of my butt not pretty .still ive seen lots of trannys but no real hp or tq limits are listed . just started stripping bike tonite so im in to the build .

Old 09-23-2011, 01:30 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,854 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by irish362
somthing i have been thinking about what about tranny cases are they tough enough to handel a 114 motor . the motor is rated at 124 rwhp. when i had my shovel i blew a case which unleashed my primary belt to the back side of my butt not pretty .still ive seen lots of trannys but no real hp or tq limits are listed . just started stripping bike tonite so im in to the build .
I have investigated using an even bigger motor than yours and the answer I got to my questions was yes, the tranny cases are tough enough. There comes a point where the five speed gear set is best replaced. I was looking at a 131" with around 140 HP and was recommended (by an HDF member with an even bigger motor) to use a Zipper's Zip-rack gearset. I don't know where that cutover comes, but guess you may be close to it. Hopefully someone else will contribute.

My 107 gives 107TQ and the other things I did when fitting it was add a Barnett spring to the original 1990 clutch. If you have decompressors (I have automatic ones) your starter may be OK (mine is), if not fit a stronger one.

I look forward to hearing how you get on!

Old 09-23-2011, 01:40 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the reference was to primary cases cracking--- that's what the Carlini brace fixes, by attaching the right side of the motor to the tranny, they become a more solid unit and tortional forces are not all placed on the primary cases

Mike

Old 03-26-2012, 07:59 PM
blakeforslund
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Peculierboy
The frame change in 96 affected the gas tank seat mounts. The 94 mounts like the new tanks do (08+). 96 to 07 seats/tanks will not fit, or at least not without some modifications. Exhaust and most other things will still swap out, you can use the new-er style detachable's as well (well, not the 09+ anyway).

I *believe* you have the newer style swingarm already as your battery is under the seat, and you may have some luck contacting the makers of wide tire kits to see if you can still get a kit.

I had a 94 RK, so some of this is from memory, but at the time, my brother had a 97, so we found out first hand what fit and what didn't'.
I was just browsing and read the above and realized...I know you, hell I have your 94 RK. Your new bike is an 08 does that mean I have had my bike going on 4 years? Wow1