Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just picked up my 12 Road Glide Custom & have a windshield/stereo question

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2011, 03:24 PM
jrobinson424
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Just picked up my 12 Road Glide Custom & have a windshield/stereo question

Just got my new Road Glide Custom today. Denim Black. She is BE YOU T FUL!! What I would like to know is, will a 12" windshield take away the air noise so I can hear the stereo better? Did have a problem today with the speakers. Got 5 miles down the road and the right speaker quit. Had to turn around and have it replaced. But at 55 mph + it really is overwhelming(the air). Should I try the windshield or bite the bullet and buy better speakers?

Old 10-19-2011, 03:32 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Klockwerks 12" and I can hear the speakers at any speed... I also installed J&M 7.25 speakers for better sound.

Attached Thumbnails Just picked up my 12 Road Glide Custom & have a windshield/stereo question-p1170894.jpg  
Old 10-19-2011, 03:46 PM
ptl203
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I have a 14" Cee Baileys SSC Euro shield on mine...I am 6' with a 30" inseam (I know, midget legs). There are tons of different shields out there and unfortunately some people end up spending a lot of money until they find what works for them. But I agree...the stock shield sucks. As for the speakers...a lot of people on here use the J&M 7.25 for their RG's, partially due to the fact that they are a forum sponsor. I even jumped on that band wagon. While I feel that they are a big improvement over stock, I recently rode a RG that had the Hogtunes speakers and I was even more impressed. I am content with my J&M's but as soon as I have a few $$ to put into the bike they are gone...Opinions are like a$$holes, we all have them and they all stink, but that is mine

Old 10-19-2011, 03:51 PM
Deuce Bigelow
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea.... forgot to mention my height...
I'm 5'7" with a 30" inseam so the 12" Klockwerks is perfect for me.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:00 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,217 Likes on 2,465 Posts

Originally Posted by jrobinson424
Should I try the windshield or bite the bullet and buy better speakers?
both

congrats on the new ride.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:07 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I agree with skratch, you need to change both, I bought my windshield off e-bay, forgot the name of the company, I just know they are in SC and the windshield is a great deal for $60. I also have the J&M 7.25 speakers, I plan to invest in another amp and get the rockers in March, you have to hear them to believe them is all I have to say.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:08 PM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,565 Likes on 1,497 Posts

If you don't like a lot of wind,the stock shield sucks. Cee Bailey's and Klock Werks seem to be the most popular. Hogtunes sound great for the price. J&M is very pricey,and people have been very disappointed in the past. If you search on here,you will see the threads.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Norie1
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You gonna end up changing out both.. If you want to be able to hear the stock speakers your going to have to buy a tall ugly old man wind screen for the bike.

Im running the klock werks 8.5 flare windshield.. which helped out a little bit and upgraded the speakers to 6.5 with a amp

Last edited by Norie1; 10-19-2011 at 04:16 PM.
Old 10-19-2011, 04:23 PM
Clearview Shields
Former Sponsor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just got my new Road Glide Custom today. Denim Black. She is BE YOU T FUL!! What I would like to know is, will a 12" windshield take away the air noise so I can hear the stereo better? Did have a problem today with the speakers. Got 5 miles down the road and the right speaker quit. Had to turn around and have it replaced. But at 55 mph + it really is overwhelming(the air). Should I try the windshield or bite the bullet and buy better speakers?
Hi jrobinson424. I'd sure love to help. We have many thousands of happy Road Glide Customers and one of the most common comments is that with our shield, they have to turn the stereo down. Check out our site or give me a call when you can. Ride safe out there.

Old 10-19-2011, 04:27 PM
09 YELLOWBIRD
Grand HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 528 Posts

First off, Congrats on the new scoot! Second, lots, lots of treads on this forum about speakers upgrades and sheilds. Check out some of the sponsors for discounts and also the "for sale" section for good prices on gently pre owned parts. Most of the folks here are truly good people and you can save a ton or spend a ton on making your roadie into well, your roadie!

As for me, I currently have the J&M 7 1/2" speakers and been through serveral shields. I truly have to admit, the new Boom speakers are really pretty nice!

My current sheild is a Wind vest 10". Sporty and acts like a 12" or 14" shield. I had the LRS shield for the Road Glides that they send me as a test pilot. For the money they are a great shield. However, I made the mistake of asking for the darkest tint. (I would still be using that shield, but it's really dark, almost black. but it was truly my mistake)
Klockwerk sheilds look the best, But looks, sometimes don't work in hand w/ function. Cee Bailey's sheilds are top notch too. So for now while it's still nice I will keep the Windvest on. Once Winter sets in, I will go w/ the full touring model which is the 16" or 17" shield.

FYI, I have a set of gently used (2 months old) J&M's 5 1/2" 2 way speakers up for grabs. PM me is anyone is interested.

Good Luck w/ your new bike and Ride Safe!

YB

Last edited by 09 YELLOWBIRD; 10-19-2011 at 04:29 PM.

Quick Reply: Just picked up my 12 Road Glide Custom & have a windshield/stereo question