Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

anyone use the CB?

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2011, 12:16 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts
Default anyone use the CB?

I normally don't even turn the radio on but next week I am taking a multi-state bike trip through the mountains of TN, NC, VA, WV, KY, and maybe someplace else if it looks good and I have time. Went ahead and installed the head set in my helmet incase I decided to use the radio and thought about the CB. My last experience with a CB was many years ago in the "breaker 19" era. My recollection was the radio was mostly garbage with trucker wanna-bes, poor reception and and static. Since CB range is limited, does anyone use the thing. Is there a "biker" channel?

Since I mostly enjoy the machine while riding, the thought of useless chatter is not thrilling, but it might be nice to say "hi" once in a while. This is a solo trip by the way.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:37 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

When I ride solo, I keep the CB on 19 and the squelch down -- helps me know when to obey the applicable limit. However, when riding with others, it is nice to have communication between bikes, both for passing the time and also in event of emergency. We ride while monitoring Ch. 3. The good thing is that most of the people with whom I ride don't just talk to talk. It is just the occasional comment that makes the ride that much more enjoyable.

Old 10-20-2011, 12:54 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Don't use mine much but just got back from a 5 day trip and 1 other guy in the group had a CB. There was 4 of us on the ride. It's nice if someone in the front and back have communications so when you get spread out you can get everyone herded back together. We didn't do a lot of talking but getting everyone off at the same damn exit for a break did make it pretty worth while IMHO.

Old 10-20-2011, 02:58 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

I only use mine on extended road trips. Truckers can be an invaluable source of information. And as already stated, riding in a group with two or more CBs is great.

Old 10-20-2011, 05:23 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 638 Likes on 509 Posts

if u sit down with the book and figure out how to use it u can set it to play radio and cb will only cut in when the squelch is broken.set the squelch right and u only get mostly clear trucker breakin in on your tunes.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:02 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,519 Likes on 6,271 Posts

I was talking to a buddy of mine, who got caught in a rainstorm in Rhode Island. He asked some truckers for directions on his CB, and they told him he was going to be crossing a bridge with metal grates soon. They told him to get in between them and they made a blockade so he could cross the slippery grates, at a slower speed.

I don't even know how to use my CB, but I am going to learn over the winter. That would be handy.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:05 PM
TORQUEY
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 175 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
I was talking to a buddy of mine, who got caught in a rainstorm in Rhode Island. He asked some truckers for directions on his CB, and they told him he was going to be crossing a bridge with metal grates soon. They told him to get in between them and they made a blockade so he could cross the slippery grates, at a slower speed.

I don't even know how to use my CB, but I am going to learn over the winter. That would be handy.

Extremely cool!

Old 10-20-2011, 06:41 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I spent some time reading the owners manual about use of the radio and CB. Guess I'll just set it up to monitor ch19 unless someone can offer a better suggestion. I tried out the radio today and doubt that I will use it much. The weather radio feature might be handy though. Will see. Thanks for the helpful replies.

Old 10-20-2011, 06:56 PM
LA VIC
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by Chunker
I spent some time reading the owners manual about use of the radio and CB. Guess I'll just set it up to monitor ch19 unless someone can offer a better suggestion. I tried out the radio today and doubt that I will use it much. The weather radio feature might be handy though. Will see. Thanks for the helpful replies.
You can preset a number of channels if you like. I have 19 preset for obvious reasons but also channel 1. A lot of riders use channel 1 for bike to bike communications because of low usage and not to interupt the truckers.

Old 10-20-2011, 07:00 PM
AbnMP13
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto on channel 1.

Quick Reply: anyone use the CB?