Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speed Bleeders and ABS

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2011, 08:42 AM
Rickr01
Club Member
Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
Default Speed Bleeders and ABS

I am not familar with ABS on a motorcycle from a mechanical perspective. I want to install Speed bleeders on my 2010 Street Glide with ABS. If I pull my stock brake bleeders and install speed bleeders will I have trouble with my ABS?

Last edited by Rickr01; 10-24-2011 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-24-2011, 01:31 PM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 20 Posts

suscribed

Old 10-24-2011, 03:26 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I put these on my bike and have had no issues.

I cannot see where they would cause any problems with the ABS unless you got air into the system when bleeding the brakes.

Old 10-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Rickr01
Club Member

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I put these on my bike and have had no issues.

I cannot see where they would cause any problems with the ABS unless you got air into the system when bleeding the brakes.
Someone told me that there are two different parts that need bleeding on ABS, the module and the calipers? I was also told that once the bleeders were removed from the calipers, the bike would have to go to the shop to be factory reset? I was going to replace the caliper bleeders wet by removing one bleeder at a time, replace with speed bleeder and then purge the air on the side I replaced the bleeder on and then move to the next and repeat. Where the heck is this ABS bleeder suppose to be? My manual doesn't say much about bleeding the brakes other than if ABS it must go to a dealer. As usual, I think that may be a load of crap?

Old 10-24-2011, 08:49 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This is from the '08 Touring Manual:

If motorcycle is ABS equipped, and either the ABS module or more than one brake line was removed, confirm that brake system is properly connected. To accomplish this, connect motorcycle to DIGITAL TECHNICIAN II (Part No. HD-48650) and perform "ABS Service" procedure in the "Toolbox" menu.

Old 10-24-2011, 08:59 PM
Morris9982
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Rickr01
Someone told me that there are two different parts that need bleeding on ABS, the module and the calipers? I was also told that once the bleeders were removed from the calipers, the bike would have to go to the shop to be factory reset? I was going to replace the caliper bleeders wet by removing one bleeder at a time, replace with speed bleeder and then purge the air on the side I replaced the bleeder on and then move to the next and repeat. Where the heck is this ABS bleeder suppose to be? My manual doesn't say much about bleeding the brakes other than if ABS it must go to a dealer. As usual, I think that may be a load of crap?
I am not aware of any special bleeder on the ABS unit itself. I have the service manual for my bike and in regards to bleeding the brakes, it just says to do them like any other brake system. It does reference the ABS unit itself needing to be connected to the digital technician, but from my understanding, that only needs to be done if you get air into the system such as pumping the brakes when bleeding and allowing the reservoir to run low and introducing air or replacing the brake line or master cylinders and pumping air through the system.

When you flush the brakes and add fresh fluid to the reservoirs, that fresh fluid gets flushed through the ABS unit and eventually pushes the old fluid out the bleeder valve. I may be mistaken but that's the way I think it works.

My understanding is that the digital technician cycles the ABS unit to allow the air to be flushed through the system.

If you do not introduce air into the system then you should not need to have the dealer use the digital technician.

Old 10-25-2011, 07:19 AM
Rickr01
Club Member

How much air do you think will enter the system when I remove and replace the caliper bleeders? Will that air stay low and be easily pushed out once the bleeders are replaced and bled a little? Thanks

Originally Posted by Morris9982
I am not aware of any special bleeder on the ABS unit itself. I have the service manual for my bike and in regards to bleeding the brakes, it just says to do them like any other brake system. It does reference the ABS unit itself needing to be connected to the digital technician, but from my understanding, that only needs to be done if you get air into the system such as pumping the brakes when bleeding and allowing the reservoir to run low and introducing air or replacing the brake line or master cylinders and pumping air through the system.

When you flush the brakes and add fresh fluid to the reservoirs, that fresh fluid gets flushed through the ABS unit and eventually pushes the old fluid out the bleeder valve. I may be mistaken but that's the way I think it works.

My understanding is that the digital technician cycles the ABS unit to allow the air to be flushed through the system.

If you do not introduce air into the system then you should not need to have the dealer use the digital technician.

Old 10-25-2011, 08:06 AM
petewerner
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

U will lose alot of the fluid from the lines but none from caliper. T
I would wonder if when loosing fluid from lines, will that also introduce air into the ABS block as well? I am interested in learning what will actually happen when one takes it apart at the line into the caliper. Thanks, good topic!

Old 10-25-2011, 02:14 PM
hopperop
Banned

I'm no expert so I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me you should not need to bleed the brakes because of changing the bleeder valves. When you take one out, make sure a solid stream of fluid comes out when you put the new bleeder in so you won’t trap air between the new valve and the hole, then just screw the new one in. You lose a little bit of fluid but nothing gets sucked in. As long as you are not putting pressure on the brake and release it when the valve is out you should not suck any air into the line, so no bleed necessary. Depending on how much fluid you lose, you might want to top off the reservoir. Maybe top it off before doing the second side just to make sure it doesn’t get too low. But make sure you put the cap back on before you remove the bleeder, that will help hold the fluid in and keep air from getting in, nothing can move except what gravity allows to drip out. That's the way I see it. But like I said, I'm not an expert, I could be wrong. That reasoning might not be worth two cents but has to be worth at least one penny.

Old 10-25-2011, 02:15 PM
hopperop
Banned

a double post came up.

Quick Reply: Speed Bleeders and ABS