Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Another XM question?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2005, 09:50 AM
Vetter
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another XM question?

I just installed my XM reciever on my 2004 Road Glide. I initially had it on the fairing, but didn't like the placement, having to reach to change channels. Now I have it on the tank console, I made a brkt out of 1/8" steel, and it works very well. I routed the cables under the tank, but now I get alot of interference with the ignition, almost sounds like a second motor on the bike, when the RPM's are above 2000, below that, it's not bad. I also installed the Hogtunes, and they sound awesome!!!!!! I just need to get rid of the ignition interference, any ideas what can be done???

Old 07-18-2005, 10:28 AM
luvmyflhtcui
Road Captain
Default RE: Another XM question?

Your interferance is coming from all of the ignition wiring that runs under the tank to the module under the seat. The only way that you can get rid of the noise is to shield all of the wiring for your xm receiver. Go to any quality electronics retailer in your area and tell them you need some wire mess tape. It comes in a roll and it flat. You can wrap your wiring in that tape and then cover it with either heat shrink or convoluted tubing (black tubing like what's on the rest of the bike) and that should clear up the noise. You did not notice it in the fairing as there are no ignition wires up there to cause any problems. The wire mess tape is flat and in a roll and looks like screen wire only very pliable and easy to wrap around a wire bundle. If you need me to find you a retailer I will. Just send me an emial.

Good Luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/494/83F6019A2C3F4235BEB875E493B42F35.jpg[/IMG]

Old 07-18-2005, 11:03 AM
nascardriver
Intermediate
Default RE: Another XM question?

Go to www.xmfanstore.com they have what they call a noise decoupler, I used this on mine and it works great....