Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCV Issues, what would you do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2011, 07:40 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Question PCV Issues, what would you do?

Just wondering if anyone else has had issues with their PCV working intermittingly. I have had the PCV on the bike (09 ULTRA) since Feb. 09, three months after purchase. Bought the stage one from Fuelmoto and it ran fine until I went to the V&H true duals in Mar. 10. I had issues getting a canned map to work so took it to a local tuner for a dynotune and he found the PCV wasn't responding to throttle position. The local turner was a dynojet retailer so he replaced the PCV under warranty and did a dynotune, results was good power but bad fuel mileage so in May 09, I added auto-tune to the set-up. All has worked well until a trip this weekend and the bike started surging at curise of 75 mph. Switched to open loop (non auto tune) and it seemed to run better but lacked throttle response so I hooked the lap top to it after returning and found the PVC had no display of RPM, head temp, throttle position, AFR, Etc., just lines as if the PCV was not there but both the red light on the PCV and autotune were on. After setting awhile I checked it again and everything was working ok. Zeroed the autotune offsets as they looked way off from what they had been and ran down the road awhile and all seemed ok. Another check this morning and it wasn't working again..checked all connections and all seemed ok with the connetions, started working again but now I have zero assurance it won't strand me on the next trip. Considering just replaceing it with another PCV, but if they're only gonna last 14 months??

Old 11-27-2011, 07:57 PM
BadBagger08
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there a chance it's getting wet? I have mine plastic bagged and I have not had any issues. I even bought mine used off the forums here and it's been in use for about 3 years now

Old 11-27-2011, 08:04 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 636 Likes on 507 Posts

wet or bad conector,plenty of dielectric grease.or a bad unit,it happens.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:17 PM
rleggs
Tourer

Not getting wet and I have plenty of dielectric grease on the connectors. I'll call fuelmoto tomorrow and see what they suggest, I'm thinking the PCV is on it's way out. I know I can't trust it at this point.

Old 11-27-2011, 08:19 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 167 Likes on 108 Posts

I had the same exact problem with my first PCV. I was doing some tuning and other testing where I'd hook up the PCV to my computer to read the cylinder head temperature. Every now and then I'd get no response from the PCV.

I called FuelMoto where I had purchased the PCV within the past couple of months, told them of the problem I was having, and they sent me a replacement. No problems since.

I never noticed any issues with the way the bike ran so I think the problem was isolated to the USB communication circuitry, but that is just speculation on my part.

Where did you buy yours? I'd give them a call and see if they'll replace it for you. I think the problem both you and I experienced is the exception, not the norm and I'd have no concern with another PCV.

Good luck.

Last edited by 2black1s; 11-27-2011 at 08:24 PM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:44 PM
rleggs
Tourer

My 1st PVC was from fuelmoto but the local tuner replaced it for me under warranty since he was a Dynojet dealer also. The replacement is now 14 months old and I'm sure it's out of warranty. The orginal was returned to Dynojet for credit by the local tuner so it takes fuelmoto away from responsibility of any kind of warranty unless it turnes out to be autotune related which I dought from them with a 2 yr warranty. I'm sure Jamie or Keith at fuelmoto will guide me in the right direction from all my experence with them and responses from other customers of theirs.