Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sta-Bo Installed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 05:12 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
The 09 and up are improved with two front mounts, but they are not "fixed".
Indeed so. Harley now use a set of rubber mounts at the front of the motor similar in design to the rear mounts, but they removed the front stabilizer (easily seen on older dressers), so while the new mounts are an improvement of sorts, the bikes now have no front or rear stabilizers. The mounts are still rubber and by definition have 'give' in them, to protect us from engine vibration.

Sportsters still use the older rubber mount system, but have both front and rear stabilizers, the best system IMHO.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:58 AM
ChristoHD
Road Warrior
Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts
Thumbs up Interesting New Stuff...

Originally Posted by thenewrage
hey christohd. Heres one example. Theres more. There is an old thread I was reading the other day about it happening in the 09 frames as well. I didn't post in it and I can't remember the title of it....sorry.
I do see that high speed is a factor?!

Newrage,
If you happen to remember or stumble upon that thread, please share, thanks!

If high speeds and tight turns are where most are feeling this wobble, then riders like me with our humble slow riding style will never feel it. BUT... if this is not a speed issue, and over time the frame is developing this wobble then I am sure myself and others will want to know what is happening so we can explore options like being discussed in this thread.

Good stuff all, glad to see everyone putting in their experiences and findings - that is what makes this forum, this forum!

Old 12-19-2011, 07:07 AM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by speedwaysteve
When i read the topic i thought sta_bil was misspelled .i figured you were getting your bike winterized...my misteak
yeah me too!

It is a good review.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:08 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by ChristoHD
I do see that high speed is a factor?!

Newrage,
If you happen to remember or stumble upon that thread, please share, thanks!

If high speeds and tight turns are where most are feeling this wobble, then riders like me with our humble slow riding style will never feel it. BUT... if this is not a speed issue, and over time the frame is developing this wobble then I am sure myself and others will want to know what is happening so we can explore options like being discussed in this thread.

Good stuff all, glad to see everyone putting in their experiences and findings - that is what makes this forum, this forum!
High speeds are when the 'wobble' is most noticable, but I have two bikes with stock rear stabilizers, fitted one to my Dyna (now sold) and have one on my Glide. If the other brands are as good as my True-Track kits, you will notice an improvement before you get into top gear! The bike will feel tighter, point better and ride nicer even while you are pottering along admiring the scenery.

Old 12-19-2011, 07:41 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by FLHTCU2007Ken
Wow, I never even realized that product existed. I was just on their website and saw the blue ones for my year appear to be offset/oblong??? Were yours??? Also, did you install the 16 times stronger bushings???

Thanks,
Ken
Yes all they sell now is the stronger bushings, you can tell because they are blue. Yes mine are offset also. They are the same for '02 thru '08. When you install them the reason for the offset becomes obvious.

For '01 and earlier the "system" is more complicated due to the terrible Cleve (spelling?) bearings in those bikes. However, once installed, the difference in handling is even more dramatic!

Originally Posted by HighLiner
Website doesn't say much, do these work on the '09 and up frame?
I don't believe so. You'd have to call them.

Last edited by ocezam; 12-19-2011 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-05-2012, 07:06 PM
aaron1976
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ocezam. nice! i got the same bike. just went to the website and see different ones. what one did you get? i'm sold!

Old 01-05-2012, 07:31 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 85 Likes on 65 Posts

Good thread, Sta-Bo is in my future

Old 11-27-2012, 02:27 AM
Tactical111
Road Master
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

OP if you are still here; did you have to move that right side exhaust at all? I'm getting a 2007 RK soon with true duals and want to do the Sta-bo's myself is why I'm asking. Thanks

Also does Sta-bo say to grease the bushings or was that your idea?

Old 11-27-2012, 08:20 AM
luisan
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 144 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by ocezam
Wow. Not sure why I didn't do this before.

The last several weeks, I've been searching and reading this and other forums for what swing arm stabilizer I would try on my '08 FLHTP. True Track, Ride-Str8, Touring Link, Alloy-Art, TXR, CCE, Glide Pro, Sta-Bo, etc. There are a bunch of them out there, and there are a bunch of opinions on each.

There are two main groups of stabilizers: Those installed outside the swingarm pivots and those installed inside. The prices run from $100 to nearly $500. It seemed to me after reading hundreds of posts, that almost everyone that tried any of these products was happy with the new tighter handling of their bike. Some, very few, mentioned added vibration after installation and almost all of these were able to correct that with adjustments or added grease, or re-installing the product, depending on the exact product they had chosen. A few people even put one each of both types of stabilizers on their bike. After riding mine I see no reason to add a second device.

I chose Sta-Bo for four main reasons:
1. At $110 shipped it's one of the cheapest I've found.
2. It fits completely in the frame. No loss of clearance anywhere.
3. The only people who mentioned added vibration cured it with grease.
4. No added stress to the oil pan bolts.

Installation took 15 to 20 minutes. Really. I suspect my Tru-Duals helped with this. If you've got a factory crossover pipe to deal with it may take you 45-60 minutes, but this is the most simple mod I've ever done to a motorcycle.

The handling is wonderful. I noticed the difference right away. Even at parking lot speeds the bike is much more solid. It actually feels lighter. It's easier to practice the slow speed skills taught in the DVD "Ride Like A Pro". The bike is more precise in every way.

Most people are aware the most obvious place to experience "Bagger Wobble" or "Rear Steer" is in high speed sweepers with bumps or undulations in them.

There is a 65 mph corner on the interstate on my way to work that had a seriously high "Pucker Factor" on my Glide with stock suspension. It was never a problem with my solid mount Sportster, or the hardtail I built several years ago, but I hated that bend on my bagger. Today, after installing the Sta-Bo bushings I took that bend with no excitement at all. I turned around at the next exit, went back and took it at 80mph. Awesome. What a difference.

I feel no added vibration a with these bushings (I greased them extremely well) and am very happy with their performance.

I am sure that the other brands and styles of stabilizers work well also. Anything that cancels the lateral movement of the swing arm will drastically improve the handling of rubber mount Harleys. I suppose each style has it's pros and cons.

I am happy with my decision.

Hey Ocezam,thanks for the review.Do you have to "grease" the bushings before installing them?I thought the material they were made of didn't need any greasing,anyway I'm ordering the front and rears next week even though I already have the Progressive Link already on my '06 Ultra and never have experienced any "wobble" but I love improvements even if they're costing me quite a lot,but like they say "Safety First".Thank you.

Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 PM
mstng5point0
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Well i am now planning to put the sta-bo bushings in my 03 this winter.

But what would happen if I did the Sta-bo bushings aloing with the Progessive tour link or True-Trac? Would be be even better than just doing one of the other or make for even more vibration.

Quick Reply: Sta-Bo Installed!