Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Most comfortable handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 10:39 AM
Da Shadow
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wild One 12" chubby apes are by far the most comfortable handlebars I have used in forty years of riding. However, in keeping with the Geezer theme on my newly acquired Ultra Limited I just installed Wild Ones Bagger Bars 575. They are comfortable, completely inside the airstream of the fairing, wrist angle same as their apes, and now i can lean all the way back on my back rest with both hands completely on the grips vs. just two fingers of one hand with the stock bars. I am so used to my hands level with my shoulders that getting fully comfortable with them will take awhile but much better than stock. They measure 2" wider, 2" taller, and 2" more pull back but because of the inner fairing you can't really rotate them in a position to take full advantage of the extra hieght.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:25 PM
ga4boats
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by trip59
Buckhorns... only style I'll ever use. I had a short set with a tall set of risers on my 59, when I got the 98, I tried them but they were too small. I found a new set (search J&P for Buckhorn in Harley section) and ordered them. Took the beach bars off and the cables were the right length.

They look funny as hell, but I don't care (too small looking for the bike) they are a good height, place my hands in a neutral position rather than pronated or supinated like all the other bars. For someone with severe back, neck, shoulder, elbow and wrist problems, it's a perfectly neutral position for shoulders, elbows and wrists.

Had a guy stop by and tried them before they were even bolted on, he offered to buy them and pay me to put them on right there. Then he tried to by the old set even though they were rusty. Everyone I have let sit on the bike and try them has decided they wanted a set. Might feel odd for a minute, but within a mile, you're stuck on them and don't want to change ever again.
Hey Trip, can you post a pic of your looking from the back to the front - I would love to see what those bars look like.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:53 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Had 10" mini apes on my 07 FLHRC, were great. When I got the FLHX the stock bars really felt wierd. After 17K miles (1 yr), I'm fine with them.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:40 PM
Encosi
Cruiser

14" Bagger Bars.....No more shoulder and neck pain

Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 71,125 Likes on 21,558 Posts

Originally Posted by snowmass
Khrome Werks Sweepers. They move your hands a couple inches farther apart and they straighten out your wrists a bit. Way more comfortable than stock for long rides. Not expensive and they use stock cables and wires.
Also, lots of people like the +2 sweepers. They are similar but come back a bit more and you'll need longer cables. Somebody who has them can be more specific.
Sweepers + 2 here..
Very comfy.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:43 PM
trip59
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ga4boats
Hey Trip, can you post a pic of your looking from the back to the front - I would love to see what those bars look like.
Will do. Bike is apart for the MM-carb conversion, when I roll it out tonight or tomorrow I'll set the tank back on for a minute and snap a pic or three.

Here's a pic (with a neighbor in it criticizing me ) of the bike with beach bars and the two sets of buckhorns on a table

Old 02-10-2012, 02:08 PM
gambler
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaier
Wild One 575, 2" higher and 2" further back. great wrist angle
+1 I have 60,000 miles on my WO575s and they have been excellent.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:24 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 105 Likes on 84 Posts

WO 575 bars here. Love em!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:27 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dstrat1
Just curious, what you all find most comfortable, especially high mileage riders.....I see this preoccupation with apes, but personally I have been adjusting mine down...what do the rest of you find?
There's no one answer. It depends on the scoot and how it's sorted plus the physiology of the rider. Not to mention their definition of comfort.

Me? Wild1 515s with PM Contour XL grips.

Old 02-10-2012, 07:01 PM
athletesfeet
Tourer

Carlini Flyin apes are the best bars I have ever had. I Like the look and love the feel. As far as height goes, the most comfortable for me is when my hands are level with my shoulders. Too high makes my arms tired, too low makes my shoulders and upper back hurt.

Quick Reply: Most comfortable handlebars