Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thoughts on Fairing Mirrors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012, 09:41 PM
Skippy97
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thoughts on Fairing Mirrors?

Hey all,

I recently bought my wife some "Edge Cut" Harley mirrors for her Sportster. Just for kicks, I installed one on my '11 Street Glide. I couldn't believe how much better vision I had with these new mirrors compared with the stock fairing mounted mirrors.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone made the switch from fairing mounted to traditional?

Is anyone unhappy with traditional and switched back to fairing mounted? Looking to make sure I'm not about to dump a lot of money into something...that I'll just go back to OEM fairing.

Thanks for the help and info!

Old 02-09-2012, 10:01 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Ive put alot of thought into the very same delema. I have standard handle bar mounted HD mirrors on my bike. I was thinking about switching to the fairing mounted mirrors. But the more I look at them and sit on bikes with them, well after sitting on one with fairing mounted mirrors I noticed two things that pushed me away from it. One i dont think they offer as much visibility as the handlebar mirrors, I get past my shoulders some but theyre almost to convex or something and the rear view is almost.....well its kinda like watching tv on a 52 inch rear projection 1990's mitsubuishi square flat screen...and then switching to a newer style 56" rectangular oblong tv. Everything is just a little more stretched out and the tops of stuff is kinda chopped off. I dunno its a weird comparrison but theres a huge difference and so are the mirrors.

Seccond, If I wanted a gold wing Id have bought one and when I see my bike in my head with the fairing mirrors all I see missing is the plasting around the engine and quiet mufflers.......yuck.

I dont like the look, yes it does modernize the front end of the bike and I guess for some younger touring riders thats ok, but at 46 I still prefer the old school handle bar mirrors. I guess it strange but I love the theatre of my bike, I love the history and ancestory of the machine and in case we havnt noticed Harley Davidson has always remained true to form by keeping the scoots pretty true to its roots, changing for the good , the bad and the worse........I think what they try to do is sqweak some new modern lines subtley in every couple of years so that the they can appeal to both sides of the fence and capture the new younger guys and still keep the old school guys like me.

I hatre the fairing mirrors. Old school for me please.

Attached Thumbnails Thoughts on Fairing Mirrors?-photo-11.jpg  

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-09-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 10:07 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts
Old 02-09-2012, 11:13 PM
X Iron Butt
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Skippy97
Hey all,

I recently bought my wife some "Edge Cut" Harley mirrors for her Sportster. Just for kicks, I installed one on my '11 Street Glide. I couldn't believe how much better vision I had with these new mirrors compared with the stock fairing mounted mirrors.

Has anyone else noticed this? Has anyone made the switch from fairing mounted to traditional?

Is anyone unhappy with traditional and switched back to fairing mounted? Looking to make sure I'm not about to dump a lot of money into something...that I'll just go back to OEM fairing.

Thanks for the help and info!
I have a set of these on order. I didn't think the fairing mounts would get out far enough to clear my shoulders and get the traffic in the larger part of the mirror. I like the no set screws on back idea. 91846-03B and 91848-03B

Old 02-09-2012, 11:46 PM
cihjr1408
Intermediate

For what it's worth guy's I have a 06 Ultra and just had to have the fairing mounting mirrors. I had them painted to match the fairing and then installed them. They are not nearly as good as bar mounted. If you have stock bars you will see the edge of your fist in the mirrors and it's nearly impossible to get them adjusted so that you don't see your hands. It's funny you posted this today because my new handlebar mounted mirrors arrived this afternoon to replace the fairing ones and now I have 4 holes in my inner fairing that I have to get covered. IMO they aren't worth the trouble.

Old 02-09-2012, 11:51 PM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Mirrors on bikes always seemed to me like some kind of DOT curse because you liked bikes instead of cages. I always turn my head and look, mirrors or no mirrors. When they finally came out with the fairing mounted it really cleaned things up, it doesn't look like space alien antennas stick'in out ! Got some Wicked Image mirrors and really like them, good clean lines and offer a wider view.

Old 02-10-2012, 12:13 AM
sublime_ac
Road Master

I am running the wicked image mirrors, which are a huge improvement over stock, but since switching to the prime ape bars I don't have as much visibility as I'd like.

I am going to be installing fat baggers iPad inner fairing, at which point I will be switching to standard bar mount mirrors...

Old 02-10-2012, 03:32 AM
2011_Glide
Cruiser

Originally Posted by drukanfu
Mirrors on bikes always seemed to me like some kind of DOT curse because you liked bikes instead of cages. I always turn my head and look, mirrors or no mirrors. When they finally came out with the fairing mounted it really cleaned things up, it doesn't look like space alien antennas stick'in out ! Got some Wicked Image mirrors and really like them, good clean lines and offer a wider view.
I agree. I was a MSF Instructor for over 5 years on base and not looking over your shoulder is how alot of crashes happen, not to mention those idiots in the cages that still look at you in YOUR lane and still push their way in.

IMO that is why I chose the SG anyways. It cleans up the bike.

Old 02-10-2012, 10:34 AM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't mind the fairing mount mirrors, but had to switch when I put on my Prime Apes.

Old 02-10-2012, 11:08 AM
bagman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 51 Likes on 49 Posts

They are a clean set up, I can see the problem with stock bars. My son bought a SG with 16" apes (I hate those ****'s) and I had to ride it across the state, but I will say with the apes I had an unobstructed view in the mirrors, but nothing beats turning your head.

Quick Reply: Thoughts on Fairing Mirrors?