Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SG GPS easy install with pics...

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 10:55 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SG GPS easy install with pics...

I've been wanting to install a gps on my SG since I bought it. I went to the dealer and they wanted a total of 850.00 along with drilling my inner fairing to install it. I understand that is a great mount from what I read and most people seem to like it but I did not want to drill my fairing so the search was on. I spend a few weeks searching threads and the net for the best way to do this plus keep in mind I have the wrenching abilities of your average 5 year old.

I understand quite a few people use nuvi's and other car gps's but I felt it would be worth the extra money to get a motorcycle gps for the weather and durability factors. I ended up purchasing a Zumo 220 with lifetime maps through gpscity.com for 430.00 not cheap my also not 650.00 without lifetime maps either. I settled on a 3.5 inch screen for I think it is better suited for a motorcycle.

Then after countless hours of searching for a mount I settled on a switch housing mount from Leader Motorcycle Accessories in black. The people at Leader were real helpful. Even though my Zumo comes with a ram mount, I chose this mount because it was more solid and looked almost factory to me. There a really no adjustments therefore it is a much more solid mount. Though you can purchase a another part to make it more adjustable I decided against it for the way the gps sits it is almost perfect as is.

Now for the wiring, the easiest part of all. I went to target and purchased a griffin micro usb charger that fits in the cig lighter. It is rated at 5v and puts out 1amp per port. Which is exactly what the Garmin car charger is rated at. It fits flush with the fairing and does not hit the tank during full turns. I also purchased the 18" usb power cable through gpscity for 14 bucks. You cannot use the cable that comes with the Garmin for it is a data cable only trust me I know. Also the 12 inch cable is too short, learned the hard way on that one. Finally you can leave it hooked u all the time for the cig lighter is hot only when the ignition is on or on acc. When you shut the bike off the gps will automatically turn off in 30 sec's when it senses the power is turned off and automatically turn on when you turn on the ignition.

I went with this set up because I can unhook all this stuff and you would never know I had anything mounted on the bars and when I trade or purchase another bike it can go with me. I hope this helps someone out there that was going crazy like me trying to figure out to mount a gps on a touring bike.

Old 02-11-2012, 11:24 PM
White Ice
Stellar HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 184 Posts

Nice looking setup. What's the part number of the mount you used?

Old 02-11-2012, 11:25 PM
krazy3
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice job!!

Old 02-12-2012, 12:15 PM
dlongo8241
Tourer

The zumo 220 comes with the cradle and the mount is the Leader mount for HD controls in black, I'm not sure of the part number but it's the ecaddy deluxe model. I believe it fits both the HD and Goldwing switch housings. I chose the black over the chrome becuase I think it blends better. Same price either way. If you do get one make sure you tell them you would like an rubber o-ring to put in the bottom of the mount to stop any vib's. They gave me one for free when I ordered. Nothings perfect but this is a pretty soild mounting set up with minimal wiring and when removed no evidence that anything was ever mounted.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
Baffler1
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

very nice job

Old 02-12-2012, 02:22 PM
cmichael
Grand HDF Member

Nice job and good post. Thats something I am going to look into doing just trying to convince the wife we need a GPS.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:22 PM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Looks NICE !!

I think I have the same set up. eCaddy from Leader:
http://www.leadermotorcycle.com/PROD/EDM-HD-NUVI.html
They are a little pricey. I picked mine up here used from another Member

I just have a cheap Garmin though. Mine does have FM Transmit and Blue Tooth capabilities though. I hard wired it into the inside of the Fairing with a right angle plug at the GPS. The Garmin shuts on and off with the key too.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Garmin-nuvi-...item2c57575b0f

Attached Thumbnails SG GPS easy install with pics...-hdd-007.jpg   SG GPS easy install with pics...-hdd-008.jpg  
Old 02-12-2012, 03:34 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member

[quote=dlongo8241;9381284]

Now for the wiring, the easiest part of all. I went to target and purchased a griffin micro usb charger that fits in the cig lighter. It is rated at 5v and puts out 1amp per port. Which is exactly what the Garmin car charger is rated at. It fits flush with the fairing and does not hit the tank during full turns. I also purchased the 18" usb power cable through gpscity for 14 bucks. You cannot use the cable that comes with the Garmin for it is a data cable only trust me I know. Also the 12 inch cable is too short, learned the hard way on that one. Finally you can leave it hooked u all the time for the cig lighter is hot only when the ignition is on or on acc. When you shut the bike off the gps will automatically turn off in 30 sec's when it senses the power is turned off and automatically turn on when you turn on the ignition.

I can't find the cable. What part number is it or do you have a link?

Old 02-12-2012, 03:37 PM
mikebaby
Road Master

Is there anyway to interface this model with the radio?

mikebaby

Old 02-12-2012, 03:42 PM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 27 Likes on 10 Posts

Great set-up. Thanks for sharing all your work and pictures with us, so we'll have it easy if we decide to go with a GPS.

Quick Reply: SG GPS easy install with pics...