Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which map to try first?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:19 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Which map to try first?

Putting Head-Quarters HQ-0034 cams in my otherwise stock stage 1 TC 88. I emailed Fuelmoto and Dynojet for map recommendations. Since neither had a map in their database for these particular cams, I was given maps for comparable cams, understandable. Keith at FM told me their map was developed with Woods TW-6, which is a .510 lift. The dynojet map was for SE 203 .510 intake/.483 exhaust. That map was also developed with 95 CI cylinders. My cams are .500 lift. My tuner is a PC-V. The dynojet map is a PC- III map imported to the PC-V. No idea if that matters. Eventually I intend to have it dyno tuned, but I will have to wait a little while. I can try both maps, just wondering if anyone had a gut feeling about which may be a better starting point. Or any other map suggestions for this setup.

Old 02-22-2012, 07:33 AM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Get auto tune, what I did when map didn't match, works great , occur pcv auto tune.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:10 AM
EasternSP
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 22,042 Likes on 8,475 Posts

You really should seek out an indy who is noted for doing competant dyno tuning. Avoid HD dealers at all cost. A map will get ya in the ball park but a dyno tune will dial your motor in to best performance.
I had my 06 RG engine built to a 103 stage V at the Patriot Harley Davidson in Fairfax, VA in 2009. Their dyno tune didn't produce what was expected so I took it to an indy who got another 15 horsepower and almost 20 more ft/lbs of torque out of it. After 30K the rear head gasket blew and the crank was found to be .019" out of true. The Patriot Service Manager told me that dyno tuning it was one of the reasons why the motor failed.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:37 AM
ocezam
Road Master
Received 96 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
Putting Head-Quarters HQ-0034 cams in my otherwise stock stage 1 TC 88. I emailed Fuelmoto and Dynojet for map recommendations. Since neither had a map in their database for these particular cams, I was given maps for comparable cams, understandable. Keith at FM told me their map was developed with Woods TW-6, which is a .510 lift. The dynojet map was for SE 203 .510 intake/.483 exhaust. That map was also developed with 95 CI cylinders. My cams are .500 lift. My tuner is a PC-V. The dynojet map is a PC- III map imported to the PC-V. No idea if that matters. Eventually I intend to have it dyno tuned, but I will have to wait a little while. I can try both maps, just wondering if anyone had a gut feeling about which may be a better starting point. Or any other map suggestions for this setup.

I did the same exact thing when I installed my cams. No one had a canned map for my combination (see sig) but both Fuel Moto and Dynojet sent maps they thought were close. When I compare the maps with the "compare maps" feature on my laptop, I can see the differences. To my untrained eye, the differences look pretty big. Different amounts of fuel in different parts of the power band.

I've ran both maps and they both run great.

The biggest concern with canned maps to me is the possibility of running too lean. This can cause engine damage. I doubt I could have that problem as both maps add significant amounts of fuel everywhere and this time of year heat isn't a huge concern. However, I will keep a close eye on heat for the next few months.

IMHO people put too much stock in getting the "perfect tune". Yes without a few dyno runs and a GOOD man doing the tune, you are likely leaving power on the table. Although that may be less true with today's auto tuners. But those dyno runs or adding an autotuner modual ain't cheap, and many times only provide a few HP gain. Not worth it in my case. There are lots of guys running around with perfectly healthy engines using canned maps. People forget we were adding high performance exhaust, filters, cams and headwork long before electronic engine management. Back then we had carbs with two or three fuel parameters to adjust, and comparatively primitive timing adjustments. Yeah, back then, a good tuner (tuner man, not tuner module) could give you a few more HP than the average owner might be able to achieve, but again, at what cost?

For what it's worth the SE203 cams (same cam as I have) have closer specs to your HQ cams than the Woods 6. To compare, look at the intake/exhaust open/close, as well as duration, not just lift. The SE 203 and HQ 0034 have VERY similar grinds. The S&S 510 is also a very similar cam.

It's also important when picking canned maps to try to get maps developed for a bike with similar exhaust and intake as your own bike. I'd guess both of the maps you were given were from bikes that have upgraded exhaust and A/C. Do you know what kind of exhaust A/C these maps were developed for?

My advice: Run both maps. Keep an eye out for excessive heat, detonation, pre-ignition, throttle response, etc. My guess is they will both run well, although unlike me, you may have a preference. Decide for yourself if you want to spend money for a dyno tune or an auto tuner module.

Have fun.

Last edited by ocezam; 02-22-2012 at 05:29 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:14 PM
HammerheadC4
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was following your posts since I was installing Andrews 21N cams and the new style tensioners the same time you were doing your upgrades.
I have a 2006 Road King with a PCIII usb from Fuel Moto. I had emailed Keith, he sent me a map....I finished my Install on Sunday, loaded the map, hit the start button, warmed her up, went for a test ride...the Ole RK ran pretty good with the map he provided.

I sent you a PM a few days ago.