Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge Skilled Rider course

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 07:56 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 163 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by Ribitt
I was an instructor and did both beginner and advance on my 07 Ultra with no problems peaple couldn't beleave you could do the figure 8 in the small box on one. Its fun. either **** or get off the pot. You learn more with your own motorcycle.
Go to your local auto parts store and buy 2-3' sections of 3/4" heater hose and 4 clamps. Split the hose and wrap your crash bars with it if you're afraid of dropping the bike. Don't worry about dropping it and enjoy the course!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:32 AM
Tinman265
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check with your local college or state college. Alot of them offer the same course at a lower cost than Harley's Rider Edge. I'm not saying Harley's is bad or anything. Usually the same instructors teach both. Here in ILL I ran into one of the instructors by chance at a HD dealer and he taught the college course and was starting at one of the dealers to do the Riders Edge.

The college in ILL (Illinois State University) that offers the courses is 100 or so miles from me but offers the basic course at many locations throughout the state but the advanced course is only available at the main campus.

And if you are a Hog member they will reimburse you in coupon form for training up to $50 a year. You can use the coupon to renew your membership or buy genuine HD merchandise. Check the members area of the Hog web site.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:04 AM
porkerrican
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
Check with your local college or state college. Alot of them offer the same course at a lower cost than Harley's Rider Edge. I'm not saying Harley's is bad or anything. Usually the same instructors teach both. Here in ILL I ran into one of the instructors by chance at a HD dealer and he taught the college course and was starting at one of the dealers to do the Riders Edge.

The college in ILL (Illinois State University) that offers the courses is 100 or so miles from me but offers the basic course at many locations throughout the state but the advanced course is only available at the main campus.

And if you are a Hog member they will reimburse you in coupon form for training up to $50 a year. You can use the coupon to renew your membership or buy genuine HD merchandise. Check the members area of the Hog web site.
Definitely check with the state of Illinois. They offer basic, intermediate, and advanced courses. Classes fill fast as they are free. Information is at mrp.illinois.edu

It's like 20 bucks to hold your seat, then they'll reimburse your 20 bucks at the end or you can donate it back to the classes.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:42 AM
SmittyFXDL
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Aside from wrapping your crash bars just take off your saddle bags if they are quick release. Leave them off to side somewhere out of the way and you should be fine. Go to ridelikeapro and watch some of their videos o their site and on youtube. It will give you some idea of what your in for.
I wold think they start you out on wide turns and figure eights then get you to make it tighter and tighter as you get more aclamated.

Old 03-09-2012, 10:47 AM
jerryleon
Cruiser

IF YOU ARE AFRAID TO IMPROVE YOUR SKILLS YOU SHOULD MIGHT CONSIDER SELLING YOUR BIKE..jmho

Old 03-09-2012, 10:56 AM
jlinder
Intermediate

I did not take the Rider Edge course but the class I took from my dealer was so much better than the riders edge program. I don't know what Minnesota's test course is like but in Illinois even our instructors who are trained trainers for the police had a hard time with the offset cones on a full size police bike. The dealership we took the class from provide Buell Blasts for training and test taking. I used their full size police bike for the class.

I know from talking to people we learned a lot more from these professionals than other I know who have taken the Rider Edge program. Rider Edge is focused on teaching how to pass the state test. Better programs teach you how to prepare for serious situations you are likely to encounter on the road.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:09 PM
zion
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jlinder
I did not take the Rider Edge course but the class I took from my dealer was so much better than the riders edge program. I don't know what Minnesota's test course is like but in Illinois even our instructors who are trained trainers for the police had a hard time with the offset cones on a full size police bike. The dealership we took the class from provide Buell Blasts for training and test taking. I used their full size police bike for the class.

I know from talking to people we learned a lot more from these professionals than other I know who have taken the Rider Edge program. Rider Edge is focused on teaching how to pass the state test. Better programs teach you how to prepare for serious situations you are likely to encounter on the road.

The Rider's Edge course he's looking at is the equivalent of the MSF Experienced Rider course. It's not a "pass the state test" course.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:21 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Paul
Had the same feelings as you before going to the course.

The first thing they did was put one of the women instructors on her big dresser to run the course. She was about 5'5'' and feet only touched the ground on tip toes. She made it look so easy, that everybody got immediately relaxed.

We started off easy. Learned how to jump 2x6 lumber pieces in the road, make sharp curves, use your rear brake for stability, engaged the clutch friction zone, swerve to avoid obstacles, make smooth u-turns in tight circumstances. All in all a great time.

You start out with easy stuff, and gradually gain confidence, technique, and skills.

They showed how a Harley lays over on their engine and bag guards with no damage. SHowed how one person can lift a Harley by themselves in a safe and effective manner.

Got into a bunch of stuff I did not expect, and came out a much better rider after taking the course.

Enjoy yourself, and who knows, you might find yourself some new riding buddies.

Gave us some local HD dealership discount coupons, and invited us over to the shop to meet the meet the mechanics.

Pretty good experience all around.
Before I comment, read the above post, Uncle Paul has obviusly gone through it, and I'll bet you could PM him and get even more advice. Also check out Jeffreydsilver's post on how to protect your Ultra. If you need more specifics on protecting your bike, PM either myself or jeffreydsilver and your Ultra will come out of the class looking just fine, I promise.

As a 14 year veteran motor officer, I've been to numerous training classes, some with the US Secret Svc Motor Unit & US Park Police, as well as participated in police rodeos. Yes, you will drop the bike. The engine guards (NOT crash bars) and saddle bag guards will do their job. Some Radiator hose and duct tape take care of the scratches. I rode a police motor for 2 years before taking my first advanced police riding skills course. I thought I could ride prior to that. WRONG. The skills you learn "just doing figure 8's" and other seemingly mild low speed maneuvers translate into all around better handling of the bike at all speeds under all circumstances. After 12 years of training, cone courses, brake and escape & higher speed emergency reaction drills, that 800 Lb EG feels like an extension of my body, whether I'm going 5 mph through congested trafiic in the city or 80 mph in pursuit of a car on the highway. Naturally these skills and habits transfer over to my '04 Ultra, albeit in a more sedate fashion.

You feel apprehensive about this course because it seems unnatural to make an Ultra do the things you've seen in videos. That was my very thought the first day of my first class. "It can't do that" (Road King at that time). "You can't make a Harley do those things-it's imposssible!"
Burt within a week, I was doing it. You will find yourself pleased and surprised what YOU can do with your Ultra after this course. Good luck. Ride safe!

The following 2 users liked this post by PghCycle24:
Bayou FLHR-M8-128" (03-08-2022), SIDECAR BOB (07-13-2016)
Old 03-09-2012, 01:24 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by jlinder

You are wrong. The Riders Edge Skilled Riders Course is for riders that have at least 3k miles experience. It covers panic braking, braking on curves and low speed maneuvering on your own bike.

I took it last summer and I thought it was well worth it.

Old 03-09-2012, 01:40 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyFLHX
Aside from wrapping your crash bars just take off your saddle bags if they are quick release. Leave them off to side somewhere out of the way and you should be fine. Go to ridelikeapro and watch some of their videos o their site and on youtube. It will give you some idea of what your in for.
I wold think they start you out on wide turns and figure eights then get you to make it tighter and tighter as you get more aclamated.
There is no advantage to taking your saddlebags off. No disrespect to AnthonthyFLHX intended. I've never seen any or had any damage to my saddlebags from police training, which is far more intense than the Rider's Edge training.

Prior to traing, check your clutch adjustment. If your clutch doesn't have enough free play, have a good independent mechanic do a complete cluctch adjustment. Let him know that you'll be taking this course. You will learn about the frictin zone, or "gray zone" as we call it. Very important for low speed control. Also, have the mechanic check your rear brakes. You want to have at least 4/32 on your rear brake pads before starting this class. You will keep power to the rear wheel using your friction zone while controlling speed using rear brake only.

Quick Reply: Riders Edge Skilled Rider course