Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riders Edge Skilled Rider course

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 01:42 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sorry about all the typos-my keyboard is kind if schitzo!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:59 PM
Bleachey
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My "riding group", about 8 of us plan on taking the ABATE advanced course this spring once we all get our calendars aligned. I rode for 2 years before taking any class. My son started riding and I had a minor incident so we signed up for the basic class. I wish I had done it when I first started, I really learned a lot. We finished up around noon on a Sunday. The instructor was a great guy, he realized I had some experience and a lot of the class was wasted on me, although it was still worthwhile. After everyne left he ran my son and I through some of the stuff they do in the advance class, I can't wait to take it. The ABATE advanced riders course is only $25 for members here in Indiana, $50 if not which includes your annual membership. It is truly amazing what an experienced rider can do on these big machines when properly trained.

Old 03-09-2012, 02:57 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

I took the Rider's Edge course about three or four months ago. It was worth it. The riding was not difficult, but it helped me improve my already lousy low-speed maneuvering skills. It did help reinforce some stuff I had just read in a book (I think it was the proficient motorcyclist, but not sure) especially on where you should be looking when turning. Making myself look further down the turn has helped my riding skills a lot.
Personally, I would like to find a course where one is taught how to really handle these big baggers, particularly in adverse conditions, etc.
No bikes were damaged, dropped, etc. during our class which included some riders with very limited experience.

Old 03-09-2012, 03:02 PM
ricerocket71
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the course you will be glad you did.

Will really assist you with your skills and improve your confidence

One other plus will also get you a discount on your insurance and if you are a hog member you will get $50 back from HD

Old 03-09-2012, 03:12 PM
hillcountryflt
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ricerocket71
Take the course you will be glad you did.

Will really assist you with your skills and improve your confidence

One other plus will also get you a discount on your insurance and if you are a hog member you will get $50 back from HD
Don't think that $50 back thing applies any longer. I know I did not and the instructor was unaware of such being offered any longer.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:11 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
Don't think that $50 back thing applies any longer. I know I did not and the instructor was unaware of such being offered any longer.
They filled out the form for HOG members, last August when I took the Riders Edge SRC. I am not in HOG, so I didn't take the form.

Old 03-09-2012, 04:19 PM
Stang951
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by hillcountryflt
The 50 goes toward HOG items or membership, not a cash or credit refund. My wife got hers last year when she went through the course (of course no one at the dealership knew what to do with it and she ended up calling HOG). It is called the Safe Riders Skill Program. I would have posted a link, but you have to log in to the HOG site to read about it:

At the Harley Owners Group®, safe riding is a top priority. So, to encourage all our members to ride as skillfully and safely as possible, we offer tuition reimbursement up to US $50* (in the form of a coupon – see guidelines below) for the successful completion of an accredited Motorcycle Safety Foundation (MSA) rider training course, including Harley-Davidson Rider's Edge® courses in the U.S. or the outlined courses below for Canada. Successful students will also receive a pin and patch featuring the "Safe Rider Skills" logo.

Old 03-09-2012, 05:01 PM
TURQ
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Just relax and enjoy the class. You will learn a lot. It's not all or nothing...if it takes running over a cone to keep your bike upright, that's no big deal. Make the adjustment and get it the next time. The class starts out slow and you just keep increasing your skill level and knowledge as you go through the course. It will be worth your while.

Old 03-09-2012, 09:55 PM
brgtr3
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks to all for the great tips! I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm on a wait list for a class in May, and after reading your thoughts, I'm thinking: "bring it on"!

But if I scratch my baby... oh hell, it's not a holy relic. It would give it character.

Thanks again!

Old 03-09-2012, 09:59 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by brgtr3
Thanks to all for the great tips! I really appreciate the comments and suggestions. I'm on a wait list for a class in May, and after reading your thoughts, I'm thinking: "bring it on"!

But if I scratch my baby... oh hell, it's not a holy relic. It would give it character.

Thanks again!
You will enjoy yourself, and be a better, safer rider for it. In training, it usually is best to train on what you ride every day when feasible. Good luck-Ride safe!

Quick Reply: Riders Edge Skilled Rider course