Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock carb cough?

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 06:03 PM
tom lipke
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Stock carb cough?

I have an 10 electra glide with the stock carb. four or five time in during the course of a couple hour ride I'm getting a carb "cough". It's usually when I'm going through the gears lower speeds usually happens around 3k rpm's. does not do it in 5th gear at 3k rpm which is 70mph. Is it a matter of rejetting? which jet? plugs look like it's just a a bit lean.
Thanks

Old 03-18-2012, 06:39 PM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Didn't think a '10 came with a carb. Thought everything after 06 was injected. May need to run some cleaner like SeaFoam thru it to make sure it's clean. Also may want to check fuel pressure and make sure there are no pin holes in the fuel line.

Old 03-18-2012, 06:42 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,590 Likes on 3,075 Posts

Whatever year it is, if it's a carb or injected, that cough is indicative of a lean condition right at that rpm and throttle position.

Old 03-18-2012, 07:42 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 337 Posts

The cv carb in stock condition will often sneeze just as you leave a light-

the millions of us who had evos know this well.

the idle mixture adjust is under a metal plug, to remove the carb has to be pulled. a 1/8" holt drilled into the plug, then the plug levered off.

lots of good Cv carb info at nightrider.com in the bike tech section cv carb tuning and modding chapters.

( DO NOT bother with the carb kits from dynojet, yost or anyone else- perfect tuning can be achieved following the instructions and $20 worth of jets and the sportster needle)

this sneeze can also be a result of improper valve operation, but that is unlikely unless you have recently done work on cam/lifter/pushrods
same with ignition timing problem, could be, but unlikely

If you can't find tuning info, pm me and I'll send you a link

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-18-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Old 03-18-2012, 11:32 PM
tom lipke
Cruiser

I was told that if it is not a california bike there is no plug? do you know about that? if there is no plug can the "idle mixture" be adjusted? again, it happpens at approx. 3k rpm would that still be the "idl emixture" adjustment? where is it located? can it be done while on the bike? If so which way do you turn it to richen?
thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 12:13 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

what you were told is what you were told.

My experience is different, I've had many of these carbs in my hands, modded and tuned them.

I do know that the idle adjust is under a plug on all cv carbs installed on Harleys from the factory ( '88 sportys, '90 Big Twins up to 2006).

IF the plug is removed, then it is possible that the carb has been monkeyed with.

If it is in place then the carb is likely bone stock- which is good as it is a known quantity ( there is nothing worse than a card damaged by ham-handed attempts.)

the carb does need to come off to have the plug removed. the idle adjust is made richer by backing out the screw under the plug--- turn too far out and the screw falls out and the bike won't idle, turn in too far/too hard and the needle seat can be damaged forever.

other adjustments are low speed jet, needle, checking the accel pump and the diaphragm on the slide

have you been to nightrider.com yet ?

I think it's all there.

This is all assuming that your "10 electra glide" was a typo- if it's a 2010 you have EFI

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 03-19-2012 at 12:40 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
dickey
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,482 Likes on 2,480 Posts

How can you have a '010 sled with a carb?

Old 03-19-2012, 12:42 AM
tom lipke
Cruiser

thanks for the info. I did go to nightrider, excellent site! it makes things simple and clear. why is there a plug blocking the idle mixture? because of E.P.A.? Is it at all possible to take the plug out without taking the carb off? by the way, the bike is a 2001 electra glide not a 2010.
thanks

Old 03-19-2012, 12:50 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the plug is there to make the bike compliant from the factory.

carb has to come off for this, it's not hard to remove the carb, it is supported by the air cleaner to the heads, the carb is push-fit into a rubber manifold seal.

easy.

you might want to check for intake leaks first before removing the carb.

any difference hot motor/ cold motor ?

Mike

Old 03-19-2012, 05:15 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 2,420 Posts
Wink

Originally Posted by tom lipke
thanks for the info. I did go to nightrider, excellent site! it makes things simple and clear. why is there a plug blocking the idle mixture? because of E.P.A.? Is it at all possible to take the plug out without taking the carb off? by the way, the bike is a 2001 electra glide not a 2010.
thanks
The EPA has a lot to answer for! Yes the plug is there to stop us adjusting the thing! There are a lot of other emissions and noise relating things on our bikes, such as very quiet mufflers, an enclosed airbox, even the ignition system and cam are designed to help the motor meet the regs. That is why we spend so much effort changing it all.....

Quick Reply: Stock carb cough?