Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler install ???

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2006, 11:35 AM
ricks
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil cooler install ???

Since it is raining I thought I would install the oil cooler Santa brought on my RKC 07. What size allen wrench are folks using to install the mounting fitting on the oil cooler adapter assembly? I am a bit nervous about getting the oil cooler adapter gasket holes and all lined up to get good oil flow.
Thanks Rick

Old 12-26-2006, 11:58 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: oil cooler install ???

think it was a 5/16. kinda hard to find a toolthat big, but did find one that would fit on the end of my torque wrench at an industrial tool supply house. another option is to use the bolt with a couple of nuts locked together. the head of the bolt goes into the oil adaptor, and you put a socket on the torque wrench that will fit the nuts that you put on the bolt.

did find that the HD chrome regulator cover will not fit it you use a cooler. even though the new cooler is not listed as one that won't fit, it doesn't.the extension bolts that the regulator cover uses interfere with the cooler hoses.my next try will be to get the regulatorcover from Kuryakyn, looks like it will probably work.

good luck

[IMG]local://upfiles/12616/26498686171A445087AEEF8E7D0E76AE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-26-2006, 12:03 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, I think it was a 7/16. I remember that my 1/2 was too big and my 3/8 too small, so that would put it right in the middle.

I lucked out and my Brother-In-Law had one in his toolbox that he inherited from his father. I can tell you that no hardware, tool store, or anything in my area had one.

The idea of using nuts on a bolt is actually a good one. Just remeber that you need to use two nuts, preferably not nylock ones, so that they will lock against each other. Don't just try to overtighten one nut against the shank of a bolt. It will come loose.

Old 12-26-2006, 01:09 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 93 Likes on 80 Posts

I ordered an 11mm hex socket,its in the mail still. hope it was the right one? didnot want to go lookin so ordered one on a lead from this forum.That is the only less commun tools needed.
hope its the right hex?????

Ive also desided to ignore directions when it comes to moving wires around,,,think its for older/different models.just make shure wires dont rub.

let us know how it turns out!

Old 12-26-2006, 02:12 PM
ricks
Intermediate

Love these responses. Seems like it always works out that there is one tool that you do not have to finish a project. I ended up doing the same thing that others mentioned. They did not have a hex wrench large enough at Home Depot. They do not at Sears either. Ended up using a 1/4 bolt with 2 nuts. The 1/4 hex head fits snuggly into a 7/16 socket. I would rather get the right hex socket fitting. I was not feeling great about the ability to put much leverage on the 1/4 bolt.
Well is is cold and the oil cooler thermostat does not want to open. After letting it idle in the garage for a couple of minutes after a 10 mile ride
the cooler got hot. The red oil light goes out immediately after the bike is started. I guess I have oil circulation.
Would have liked to check with oil temp dip stick but it is on back order.

Best of Holidays, Rick

Old 12-26-2006, 02:20 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

I used an 11mm socket, which fit fine, and although I didn't have that size I was lucky and found a neighbor with one. If others used a 7/16" that must be the correct size, as otherwise it wouldn't fit in an 11mm hole, as the SAE size is about .004 in. bigger.

Other than that, the install was easy. Why an odd metric size when the old adapter was a normal socketed SAE size? I think the Moco wants to discourage us from doing our own work, then take it to the dealer next time around.

Old 12-26-2006, 02:25 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: voodoodrug

I ordered an 11mm hex socket,its in the mail still. hope it was the right one? didnot want to go lookin so ordered one on a lead from this forum.That is the only less commun tools needed.
hope its the right hex?????

Ive also desided to ignore directions when it comes to moving wires around,,,think its for older/different models.just make shure wires dont rub.

let us know how it turns out!
I didn't move the wires on my '07 SG, as they seemed to be already be in the right place. The process was easy, just pull the VR up, slip in the cooler plate, then re-attach the VR. Except for the oddball Allen socket, the install was very easy compared to most everything else I've done on this bike.

Old 12-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Phrogman
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ricks

Love these responses. Seems like it always works out that there is one tool that you do not have to finish a project. I ended up doing the same thing that others mentioned. They did not have a hex wrench large enough at Home Depot. They do not at Sears either. Ended up using a 1/4 bolt with 2 nuts. The 1/4 hex head fits snuggly into a 7/16 socket. I would rather get the right hex socket fitting. I was not feeling great about the ability to put much leverage on the 1/4 bolt.
Well is is cold and the oil cooler thermostat does not want to open. After letting it idle in the garage for a couple of minutes after a 10 mile ride
the cooler got hot. The red oil light goes out immediately after the bike is started. I guess I have oil circulation.
Would have liked to check with oil temp dip stick but it is on back order.

Best of Holidays, Rick

Well, it sounds like you've finished the install. Congratulations! What does your oil pressure gauge read? As long as it is showing positive pressure, you have oil flow. The pressure sensor is after the filter.

Old 12-26-2006, 10:40 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior

I would like to put one on my bike,but putting a chrome cover over it,sort of kills the whole reason does,nt it? Does anyone make a polished oil cooler? or one that is chrome? The stock H/D units look like you took it off a Mack truck.

Old 12-27-2006, 10:55 PM
ricks
Intermediate

After trips to four parts stores to try and find a 11 mm hex socket or 7/16 hex socket I stopped at a hardware store that has been around for 40 or 50 years. Sure enough they had a 7/16 allen wrench. I cut the long end off and inserted it into a 7/16 by 3/8 drive socket. It worked fine. I wanted to remove the assembly from the oil filter to check on the torque and position of the gasket. Having the bike on a Sears jack really made it easier than on the jiffy stand. All works well.
Later Rick

Quick Reply: oil cooler install ???