Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

advise/options - adding forward top engine stabilizer link

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2012, 02:50 PM
Mike
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by speakerfritz
Got someone to weld the end link attachment tube in for me so all I need is the mount and the link which will be in early next week. Thanks for the comments.
I think it's worth a shot, and I've had the same thought myself. The increased leverage of the forward location would add stability. It can't hurt anything, at the worst, it would be unnecessary. There's certainly a demand for chassis stabilizers for the older bikes, as evidenced by all the touring links, upgraded motor mounts, etc.

Please post up a pic of your attachment, I'd like to see it. I've got the later heads on my 07, I'll probably do the same thing to my bike next winter when I hope to go to a 23" front.

How's your top end rebuild coming?

Old 04-12-2012, 05:22 PM
speakerfritz
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by boogaloodude
I think it's worth a shot, and I've had the same thought myself. The increased leverage of the forward location would add stability. It can't hurt anything, at the worst, it would be unnecessary. There's certainly a demand for chassis stabilizers for the older bikes, as evidenced by all the touring links, upgraded motor mounts, etc.

Please post up a pic of your attachment, I'd like to see it. I've got the later heads on my 07, I'll probably do the same thing to my bike next winter when I hope to go to a 23" front.

How's your top end rebuild coming?

I also think the location of the new link provides more leverage than the old position .

Build is coming along. Ordered the latest high flow oil pump, intake screens, and the associated cam plate. So basically decided to go ahead and do the CAM install at the same time. was going to do top first, then cams, then the primary and sprocket work...thinking less change in the engine would minimize me chasing ghost if the thing didn't fire up correctly. But I pretty much brain washed myself on all the gotchas and have all the required tools. injectors are stored wet with a feeder tube so I wont have to worry about them drying out and gumming up....which happened to me the last time I did an engine overhaul and was a bitch to find. Yet to be told is if I have any run out issues. will know more when i pull the cam plate and if there are wear patterns will stop and and strip the other side to measure. I have never had any fragments in my engine oil so I'm expecting a green light.

Old 04-12-2012, 05:38 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

You may run into a problem with two links in the same plane, unless they are the exact same length and the connection points and axis' are also in the exact same planes. One of them will end up taking the bulk of the load and breaking. If you really want to gain stability, put another link in a different plane. Good luck with the project.