Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sheepskin or Gel Pad

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 03:28 PM
trosel238
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sheepskin or Gel Pad

For those of you that have experience long distance cruising, which seet cover or pad is the best, Sheepskin or Gel Pads? I've looked at several options online, but have never used either. I also noticed that there is a Sheepskin over a Gel Pad option out there as well. Any input is appreciated.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:30 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

I like sheepskin - allows some airflow and prevents the seams on the seat from digging in after 500 mile day.

Old 04-15-2012, 03:33 PM
trosel238
Cruiser

I noticed sheepskin is available in two styles, long hair or sheared. Which have you used?

Old 04-15-2012, 04:43 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 29 Posts

it's not long hair, so it must be sheared. it was made by a guy who form fitted them for the Electra Glide seat with leather trim, real nice. I don't remember his name and he doesn't do it anymore anyway. I've used it for 2 coast to coast trips and have no complaints.

Old 04-15-2012, 04:45 PM
tenn.vol.
Supporter
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I had an 93 FLXSTC, I thinks, nothing soft about it. I did everything I could to get the pounding off my arss. Single fire ingnition, new rubber everwher to get rid of the vibration. But the best thing was gel that was inlayed in the seat. But if you are
looking for a cool arss, go with the skins........ Tenn.Vol.

Old 04-15-2012, 05:09 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Neither. Get an Airhawk pad and you will not use anything else in the future. Once you set the pressure correctly it is the best there is next to a Road Zeppelin seat.

http://www.airhawk.net/

Last edited by SpiderPig; 04-15-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2012, 05:34 PM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,563 Likes on 1,082 Posts

I agree. I use the Airhawk on long trips. It does take a little getting used to since it raises you up on the seat a bit.

Best online price I found for this item was from DebyCycles.

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...=Airhawk_Seats

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
Neither. Get an Airhawk pad and you will not use anything else in the future. Once you set the pressure correctly it is the best there is next to a Road Zeppelin seat.

http://www.airhawk.net/

Old 04-15-2012, 05:41 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
I agree. I use the Airhawk on long trips. It does take a little getting used to since it raises you up on the seat a bit.

Best online price I found for this item was from DebyCycles.

http://www.derbycycles.com/cgi-bin/e...=Airhawk_Seats

+1 on the Airhawk.

A sheepskin is okay for awhile, definitely don't get caught in the rain. Gel helps a little but neither of those compare to an Airhawk.

The best thing you can do is don't get old.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:41 PM
carlgrover
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,187 Likes on 1,264 Posts

I bought a wooden bead seat cover from Walmart and cut it down to fit my seat. Ran a weedeater line around the perimeter to keep the beads in place. There is enough cover left over to make two motorcycle seats. Cost me about $10.

It's really comfortable.

Old 04-15-2012, 08:45 PM
olfatguy
Stage II

All the above are good suggestions but, I found an excellent product several years ago that won't put a big dent in your wallet.

Just grab one of those beaded automotive seat covers found in many auto parts stores for a few bucks (I know, I thought the same thing when I first heard about it).

The pain comes from pressure on the same spot for extended periods of time. With the hundreds of beads in these seat covers, a small shift in any direction relieves the pressure. Air circulation is another benefit with these. In fact, if it's a cool damp morning your butt actually gets cold.

I tie mine to the tour pack and it covers both seats for $10-$15.00. Way better than $100.00+/seat for some of these other pads, some of which don't work nearly as well.

Think about it, all those New York cabbies can't be wrong.

Quick Reply: Sheepskin or Gel Pad