Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

84 Electra Glide restore

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2012, 08:53 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

1984 EVO Touring lineup included the;

FLHTC - FLT frame with batwing.

FLTC - FLT frame with frame mounted fairing

Last edited by dswansbiker; 05-19-2012 at 09:00 AM.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:00 AM
Jonas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
1984 EVO Touring lineup included the;

FLHTC - FLT frame with batwing.

FLTC - FLT frame with frame mounted fairing

Thanks

Old 05-19-2012, 10:05 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I had an '84 FLHTC. It was an Evo with an enclosed drive chain. It ran in an oil bath. This old beast had 120,000 miles on it when I got it and had never been washed. This bike had a speedo/tach combo that was mounted in a box on the handlebars. The ads posted up a few threads are real neat. My bike looked like the first one. By the way, when I broke the motor down, it was all standard inside and really didn't need anything. I had the valves done and put in new rings and reassembled it and rode it another 20,000 miles and sold it. It was a great bike. I envy the guy that started this thread. I enjoy putting the oldies back together. I don't imagine there is really a harness for any of the gauges. Probably just a wire running somewhere and landing. I would find the input I want and wire it up and go. As far as the tranny being hard to shift, some are and some aren't. I think the new ones are even that way. My 2010 Ultra shifts great most of the time until there are about 20 guys standing around and you want to put it in neutral...... Ken

Old 05-19-2012, 10:11 AM
shovel52
Cruiser
Received 28 Likes on 22 Posts

I forgot something kind of different. The engine guard was part of the air storage for the front suspension. There was a hose running down there to give it some volume. Harley had some great things going on with that series of bikes. Sometimes I wish the twin cams were as durable as the old evo....Not much horsepower out of the box, though. I wonder how long the enclosed oil bath chain would last? I don't think I replaced it and I don't think I ever adjusted it. I had an '81 FLT after this one that had the oil bath too. That one was a shovel with a five speed. It was a great bike too. Oh well, so much for reminiscing... Ken

Old 05-19-2012, 11:11 AM
Tommy Hager
Advanced

Originally Posted by grbrown
1985 model year started around July/August 1984, so that fits with earlier comments!
yes I know..just being clear..you guy obviously know more about this stuff than me.thats why I'm here..

Old 05-19-2012, 11:18 AM
Tommy Hager
Advanced

just talked to the Harley shop guy on the phone. He told me it is for sure an EVO motor. said it all depends on when in 84 the bike was made. he said early 84s were shovels and late 84 came with evos on this model which is an FLHTC. Just clearing it up.. they said with out a doubt its an EVO.. he also said there are alot of guys will argue the fact but if I go to buy engine parts buy for the Evo..lol

Old 05-19-2012, 11:24 AM
Tommy Hager
Advanced

Originally Posted by shovel52
I had an '84 FLHTC. It was an Evo with an enclosed drive chain. It ran in an oil bath. This old beast had 120,000 miles on it when I got it and had never been washed. This bike had a speedo/tach combo that was mounted in a box on the handlebars. The ads posted up a few threads are real neat. My bike looked like the first one. By the way, when I broke the motor down, it was all standard inside and really didn't need anything. I had the valves done and put in new rings and reassembled it and rode it another 20,000 miles and sold it. It was a great bike. I envy the guy that started this thread. I enjoy putting the oldies back together. I don't imagine there is really a harness for any of the gauges. Probably just a wire running somewhere and landing. I would find the input I want and wire it up and go. As far as the tranny being hard to shift, some are and some aren't. I think the new ones are even that way. My 2010 Ultra shifts great most of the time until there are about 20 guys standing around and you want to put it in neutral...... Ken
I love bringing new life to old machines. this is my first Harley restore though.. I have restored other bikes. Just finished up an 87 Shadow. Killer project but now that its done.I'm bored with it. the bike u are describing sounds just like the one I'm putting together..I will post pics are I come along with it !

Old 05-19-2012, 11:26 AM
Ultra89Rider
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Tommy Hager
Trying to get an 84 Electra glide restored. I am down to guages. All the guages oil press,temp, ect in the faring are unhooked. I don't even see the harness.
Originally Posted by Tommy Hager
I have figured most of my earlier questions out. It is an EVO motor..late 84. I still haven't found a wire harness for the gauges..may not be stock..
No, it is not stock if it has gages on the FLHT Electra Glide model (Batwing FIRING).
The Inner/Outer Fairing with gages was not introduced by Harley until the 1986 model year.
There was a company called RaCad (Based out of Monrovia, CA) that made an Inner Fairing
for the FLHT Batwing Fairing. Those did come with gages. They are now out of business.
I had one on my 1985 FLHTC.

Question, looking at the gage face, does it say Harley-Davidson? Or have a "RaCad" on the face?
RaCad had Volts, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and a clock.

Last edited by Ultra89Rider; 05-19-2012 at 11:30 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 05-19-2012, 12:19 PM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

I am in the middle of restoring my 84 FLH (Shovel). I always wanted a last year Shovel and the fact that the 84 FLH had belt drive is a plus (83's had it too).

This is what mine will look like when done. There were only 2 choices of color, red or black. I might deviate from my black bike syndrome and do it in red.

This was the most common Shovelhead 84 FLH, as mentioned before the FLHX (special edition), and FLHS were offered in 1984 also.

Old 05-19-2012, 01:04 PM
Tommy Hager
Advanced

Originally Posted by Ultra89Rider
No, it is not stock if it has gages on the FLHT Electra Glide model (Batwing FIRING).
The Inner/Outer Fairing with gages was not introduced by Harley until the 1986 model year.
There was a company called RaCad (Based out of Monrovia, CA) that made an Inner Fairing
for the FLHT Batwing Fairing. Those did come with gages. They are now out of business.
I had one on my 1985 FLHTC.

Question, looking at the gage face, does it say Harley-Davidson? Or have a "RaCad" on the face?
RaCad had Volts, Oil Pressure, Oil Temp, and a clock.
it has all the gauges u said..I dont see a name on it. Prob what it is..

Quick Reply: 84 Electra Glide restore